Short Stories!

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
SnowRayjah

Short Stories!

Post by SnowRayjah »

Alright, I'm pressed for time lately as I have to study for a huge exam. I want to read but cannot invest into a book as much as I'd like too. Well, actually I could, but what would happen is that I get wrapped up in the book and not study for the exam (with a short story it would at least provide an ending that pointed me back at the studying). I was wondering what short stories that others like to read. I'm a big fan of Poe, anything macabre, and Gothic horror, though I'll read anything once.

A few of my favorites are:
The Howling Man by Charles Beaumont
The Monkey's Paw by William Wymark Jacobs
The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
We can Remember it for you Wholesale by Philip Kindred Dick
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
The last Leaf by O'Henry
Gift of the Magi by O'Henry

Do you guys have any suggestions?
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Re: Short Stories!

Post by Sarah »

Here are some of my favorites:

The Most Dangerous Game
The Elephant's Child (I think I had a story book based on this one; I remember images of a little elephant with a nub for a nose before he gets his trunk, heh.)
The Monkey's Paw

Oh, I remember having to read The Lottery for an English class. And then we watched a movie based on it. It was scary. D: Not in a "BOO!" sort of way, but just the idea of a lottery of that kind..
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Sarah, I'm going to look into The Most Dangerous Game and The Elephant's Child! :D I'm not familiar with either of them, so this should be fun! :heart:

I've read The Lottery quite a few times. Although it is disturbing I find it also holds very true to many of the things we do. The main thing of holding onto things we do because we have always done them. It's not always a good thing.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Let me know how you like them! The Elephant's Child is one I read when I was young, and I still remember it to this day. Like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure I read it in a storybook. And The Most Dangerous Game is another one I had to read for an English class. I really enjoyed that one, especially the ending.

I agree about The Lottery. While it is a creepy story, it's a good reflection of how we hold on to traditions.

Do Aesop's Fables count as short stories? What about stuff by the Brothers Grimm? If they do, then I'll include many of their works as my favorites, too.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I love The Lottery. It's one of my favorite stories.

I also like The Tell-Tale Heart, The Cask of Amontillado, and The Most Dangerous Game.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Sarah wrote:Let me know how you like them! The Elephant's Child is one I read when I was young, and I still remember it to this day. Like I mentioned, I'm pretty sure I read it in a storybook. And The Most Dangerous Game is another one I had to read for an English class. I really enjoyed that one, especially the ending.

I agree about The Lottery. While it is a creepy story, it's a good reflection of how we hold on to traditions.

Do Aesop's Fables count as short stories? What about stuff by the Brothers Grimm? If they do, then I'll include many of their works as my favorites, too.
I definitely will! :D Thank you. Is Elephant's Child a Rudyard Kipling story by chance? If it is, I'll probably love it since I already love Riki Tiki Tavi. ;w;

Whenever I have to do something and I start going through the "this is the way we've always done it" I pause. Welp, too Lottery for me. Time to find a new way.

I would count Aesop's Fables and Grimm, I have complete collections of both. If you have suggestions for those, I'd love to hear them too!

Todd, The Lottery is one of my favorites too. I love haunting or chilling stories; it's why I enjoy Poe! I'm a big fan of The Tell-Tale Heart and I more or less enjoyed The Cask of Amontillado. Still need to find The Most Dangerous game!

I assume this is The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell?
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

The Most Dangerous game is what comes to my mind, I think there's been a lot of other pieces that are inspired by that story.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I like the Raven by Poe. I still need to read most of the short stories listed. I also really like the Monkey's Paw and I enjoyed the Cask of Amontillado. It's just I like pictures with my reading. The Last Leaf was a good one too. So was Gift of the Magi. Snow marked a bunch of short stories in a book and I've been meaning to get around to reading them.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

@Snow Yes on both counts! The Elephant's Child is by Rudyard Kipling and also The Most Dangerous Game is by Richard Connell. :) I'll have to think of which Aesop's Fables and Grimm stories are my faves and get back to you!
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Sarah wrote:@Snow Yes on both counts! The Elephant's Child is by Rudyard Kipling and also The Most Dangerous Game is by Richard Connell. :) I'll have to think of which Aesop's Fables and Grimm stories are my faves and get back to you!
Booya! Thanks Sarah, I'll look them up after I finish studying today! <3 I also really look forward to the fables and fairytales suggestions. <3