Marvel or DC?

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Marvel or DC?

Post by Robin »

/LIVE, topic! LIIIIIIVE

I'll read anything with a good story. For instance, I like Hawk & Dove from DC (the late 80s/early 90s run, not the '60s or the recent horrible thing they started and quickly canned). But I also like the Exiles storyline from Marvel (mostly 'cause my BF introduced me to it and I found myself really enjoying it). Even some of the Indy stuff (like Hellboy) is cool. In terms of movies, Marvel is KILLIN' DC, but that's because DC apparently can't figure out how to make a movie that isn't a stinkin' origin story... LOL

I play HeroClix (basically chess with comic book characters), so I'm familiar with the names of a lot of different heroes and villains, but I haven't really read many comics other than the ones about characters that already intrigue me. (My next goal is finding out more about the "Sentinels of Magic" from DC--they're featured in HeroClix a bit, but not much, and I'd like to know more).
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Shin

Post by Shin »

Let's keep this topic alive :)))

I used to collect Marvel comics. I collected X-Men, Uncanny X-Men and Generation X. Big X-Men fan during the 1990s. I also ventured into Avengers and Silver Sable titles.

In DC, I have majority of the issues of The Sandman (DC Vertigo) penned by Neil Gaiman.
Shi - Honor & Blood
"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

I'm more into the old-school DC, specifically Batman because I really love crime and mystery. While I did grow up with both Marvel and DC here and there, I never seriously got into anything until I picked up Batgirl with Cassandra Cain. There's been a few Asian American superheroes, like Jubilee from the X-men, but none of them were really featured prominently until Cassandra got her own series in the late 90's. She's a really complex and interesting character with a great backstory, and I really love how her character subtly defies and confronts gender and racial stereotypes. I haven't met anyone who didn't like her.

I haven't really read anything from Marvel that's grabbed my interest lately, but I'm really picky because my criteria includes having PoCs. I've actually been meaning to pick up Ms. Marvel, though. Has anyone read this yet?
Loki

Post by Loki »

I used to read Batman in my teens. I loved it and then DC was winning everything. I loved Batman villains like Idiot or Kadaver not mentioning the great Riddler. But now, because of movies from Marvel stables, I moving more to Marvel. I plan to read X-Men comic books but that may take some time. I hope to get more into Thor, too.

Now, I prefer Marvel but DC will always have special place in my heart.
The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway

Trickster of Ragnarok Network
JCurtis

Post by JCurtis »

It's tough to say. On the whole, I think Stan Lee is one of the greatest storytellers of all time and has come up with a plethora of incredible and inimitable characters with Marvel. However... DC has Batman
Laura

Post by Laura »

Wow, how did I miss this? I'm a massive Marvel fan and have been since I was a kid! I grew up on Spider-Man and X-Men and branched out into a lot of other series as I got older. Although I take breaks every now and then, I always come back to reading Marvel stories. <3 I'm subscribed to Marvel Unlimited right now, which is amazing! Lets you read any of the comics digitally for a monthly/yearly fee. It's 6 months behind the current issue but it's way cheaper than picking up the issues monthly. :3

I've never been that into DC. I do love Wonder Woman though! And Batman is a classic of course. I love the Batman villains for being so dark and sinister... but I'm more likely to pick up an Image or Dark Horse title than a DC one outside of those titles.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Oh gosh, I have become total DC trash in the past 6 months, haha... I definitely prefer DC over Marvel (although it was the other way around about 6 years ago). I used to watch Batman: The Animated Series and a cartoon with Wonder Woman in it when I was little, though.

Wonder Woman is my favourite (as anyone who follows me on twitter might have guessed...), but I love most characters, especially the Justice League. Other favourites of mine include Superman, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter and Captain Marvel, but I also like Flash, Green Lantern and Batman. What draws me to DC heroes is that they're more enjoyable and have more depth, complexity and shades than Marvel ones, at least for me. :heart:
Laura

Post by Laura »

Chibi wrote:What draws me to DC heroes is that they're more enjoyable and have more depth, complexity and shades than Marvel ones, at least for me. :heart:
Them's fighting words, sister!! XD We should talk sometime, I'm curious as to why you might think that! And I'd love to hear what characters you think have a lot of depth in the DC universe since I never got too into it, might get me more interested in it. :) Though I do love me some WW. <3 I need to get caught up on her somehow.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Laura wrote:
Chibi wrote:What draws me to DC heroes is that they're more enjoyable and have more depth, complexity and shades than Marvel ones, at least for me. :heart:
Them's fighting words, sister!! XD We should talk sometime, I'm curious as to why you might think that! And I'd love to hear what characters you think have a lot of depth in the DC universe since I never got too into it, might get me more interested in it. :) Though I do love me some WW. <3 I need to get caught up on her somehow.
Hahaha! XD Yeah, I'm up for talking! :heart: Basically it boils down to the fact that DC superheroes for me face both superhuman and deeply human struggles, so even a character like Superman becomes incredibly relatable. Also, depending on which comic you read, as a reader you might face some kind of moral struggle yourself as you try to think what's right and what's wrong and I like media that challenges you like that (like 1984 and Brave New World - a comic that does this masterfully is Superman: Red Son for example); the issue doesn't even have to be relatable, it just has to be challenging, unsettling and understandable, and I really enjoy that. Even the "goofiest" DC heroes can face huge struggles, i.e. Captain Marvel in Kingdom Come. I think there is a lot of room to work with, with every DC hero, and that's why I really like them. :)

(As a disclaimer, I should say that I know that Marvel characters also go through issues, but I just never found them relatable or 'deep' like I find DC characters'. I think for me it's just a preference. :D)