Motivation

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Todd

Motivation

Post by Todd »

I was just going to make this discussion about fanlistings, but motivation comes from a lot of places. What motivates you?

Does being approved for the fanlisting of a subject motivate you to make a shrine? If you are rejected for a fanlisting, do you make a shrine anyway?

Do you make sites easier if you are participating in a marathon? Are you motivated by others knowing what you are working on, or do you prefer to keep your site subjects a secret?
Chibi

Re: Motivation

Post by Chibi »

Motivation is my worst enemy when it comes to shrines. I never have enough to finish a shrine. XD;

I'm motivated to make a shrine both when I get approved for the fanlisting and when I'm not. Strangely enough, I think I might actually be more motivated when I'm not approved for the subject. I think, "Oh, I wasn't approved for the fanlisting? Nevermind, I'll make a shrine!" because I just have to show my love in some way.

I do find it easier to work on shrines when I'm participating in a marathon. I feel like I'm part of something and the fact that everybody is participating and working and finishing their shrines also motivates me to work and finish mine. I like when others know what I'm working on, motivates me more than keeping it secret. :3
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Motivation for me tends to vary. Sometimes I'll get it when I rewatch/replay/reread something that my shrine is for. Other times a fanlisting helps and sometimes finding an image I really like makes me want to do something (*coughEphraimcough*). I find participating in a marathon helps too. It makes me really excited about the subject and I want to get started right away. This isn't always the case, but it definitely helps.

Another thing is people's interest in what I'm doing. If they know what I'm working on they get excited about it and in turn that gives me motivation to want to finish it. Also working on existing shrines gives me motivation to work on something new. This was very much the case with Cordelia which I actually started in late 2013 (I think it was November) but ended up sitting on the shelf for months. I almost dropped it entirely until I did some work for Lucina and Lyn which gave me the motivation I needed to finish Cordelia.
Chibi wrote:I think, "Oh, I wasn't approved for the fanlisting? Nevermind, I'll make a shrine!" because I just have to show my love in some way.
Also this! Being rejected for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Lucina motivated me to want to make those shrines.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

Usually my motivation comes from my own excitement, so the best way for me to be motivated when I see that I'm getting sidetracked is to re-watch/re-read about the subject of the shrine. It's kind of a reminder of why I want to make that shrine and at the same time it helps me keep in mind what I want to write in it.

Also excitement and interest coming from other people helps a lot.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

For me it really depends. Sometimes I'll find the drive to make a site completely out of the blue; sometimes it's something I've wanted to build for years. I don't really find fanlistings to be a good motivator; I owned my Cid fanlisting for 6 years before I got around to building a fansite, as much as I wanted to.

I think more than anything I'm motivated by whatever interests me at the moment. I built my Squall site because I'd just replayed FFVIII and was in the mood to talk about the game. Right now I'm on a RvB kick, so I'm working on RvB projects. I find I'm much more productive that way, rather than trying to force myself through making a site for I'm not as passionate about at that exact moment.

Marathons and challenges do help, though, deadlines are always motivating.
tonight fate is the
Aku

Post by Aku »

I guess I'd kinda echo what Chibi, Dragon and Larissa said... I do tend to be motivated by the fact a fanlisting already exists and also just from my own excitement/current "boom". (I would say Ranka was born out of all of these.) I'm more spontaneous than I am anything, and I run more on the juices of my own obsession for specific topics rather than thee passion to create shrines. So usually anything I plan to do goes out the window and something completely spur of the moment and born out of pure love of what I'm currently into is what gets shrined. XD;

When I was working on Caesar though, I would say that it definitely helped to be part of a marathon. Knowing it would be showcased under an "Amassment" event made me want to make it really presentable and memorable. I'm also pretty deadline driven, just the nature of my work I think. :p
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Marathons definitely motivate me because I love being a part of something. I remember seeing marathon links on other sites before I joined Amassment and desperately wanted to take part in one. LOL! So I try to enter as many as I can. But otherwise, usually just having enough time and mental energy really helps me get into it.

It also comes in waves. I've been really inspired to work on my Pokemon sites more recently. My Meowth shrine keeps growing.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Most of my shrines were honestly done on a whim. Mara was honest to God made in a day because I thought it would be hilarious to have a Mara site XD When I make plans, I tend to procrastinate and it takes forever to get things done. It does help me, however, when I am participating in a marathon or other people are waiting on me, like for Dojima or my Manikins shrine. Maybe I should give you guys my list of project so you could poke me with a sharp stick once in a while.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Does being approved for the fanlisting of a subject motivate you to make a shrine? If you are rejected for a fanlisting, do you make a shrine anyway?

I'm not much into fanlists, so this doesn't apply.

Do you make sites easier if you are participating in a marathon?

Yes! I would have closed my fansites long ago if not for Amassment, Snow, Cherri, Destinie, Crystal, Michelle, Todd and a few others who keep me motivated. My preference is for fanart and fanfiction, so shrining is not really my top favorite way of expression, thus I wouldn't do it "alone."

Are you motivated by others knowing what you are working on, or do you prefer to keep your site subjects a secret?

I keep the ideas a secret until I'm fairly certain I won't lose interest. Then, when I know that there's a good chance I'll finish sooner or later, I let people know and feed their reactions to my shrine bunnies. XD
Todd

Post by Todd »

Mikari wrote:Yes! I would have closed my fansites long ago if not for Amassment, Snow, Cherri, Destinie, Crystal, Michelle, Todd and a few others who keep me motivated. My preference is for fanart and fanfiction, so shrining is not really my top favorite way of expression, thus I wouldn't do it "alone."
Aw, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing I helped motivate you. I'm so glad you're still around, Mikari! You're one of my motivators as well; it has been awesome seeing how excited you get about my Sabin and Tidus sites, and a few others, and your productivity on your own sites is always contagious.
Mikari wrote:I keep the ideas a secret until I'm fairly certain I won't lose interest. Then, when I know that there's a good chance I'll finish sooner or later, I let people know and feed their reactions to my shrine bunnies. XD
This makes a lot of sense. I tend to keep my subjects a secret until I'm deep in the project as well, because I don't want to make promises I won't keep. I won't promise a fan site unless it's happening. The exception is marathons, in which I hope to be motivated by signing up. /looks at Panne lol