Shrining Groups of Characters

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Todd

Shrining Groups of Characters

Post by Todd »

Does anyone have any experience shrining groups of characters? I'm not talking about relationships, but groups.

I've done it once with Silent Lucidity, my site to the Eights from Battlestar Galactica. So far, I've just focused on two Eights, but I am planning on working on this site again and expanding the site to cover the entire model. We'll see how it goes.

I'm planning two more sites to Groups: a site to the seven Koopalings from Super Mario Bros and a site to the Ghostface killers (a total of seven so far) from the Scream series. Not sure how to approach it. Not sure I want seven separate information sections. Maybe different headings within the info section?
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: Shrining Groups of Characters

Post by nyxmidnight »

If you find out, do let me know, for I am planning a shrine to the Turks from FF7 and I don't know where to start.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Todd

Post by Todd »

nyxmidnight wrote:If you find out, do let me know, for I am planning a shrine to the Turks from FF7 and I don't know where to start.
Yes! That sounds awesome!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I'm working on a site that's pretty much a shrine to (almost) all of the characters of a game, so I'm tackling it like a character-focused general series fansite. The idea of making the site was prompted by wanting to talk about a bunch of characters who are interconnected, so I can have some pages that explain the universe and the key events etc. etc. and then cross-reference them in the sections about the characters, which are basically small shrines. This way I don't have to introduce everything each time, which I feel is the problem with having subcollectives and then completely separate sites to several characters; I've had to treat each of my Quake 3 sites as if they were single-page units, thus needing an introduction to the series each time - and okay, at least in this particular canon's case there's very little to introduce...but I'm not really pleased with that, so yeah, I see where your problem comes from. On one hand I like having separate one-page sites that have a more complete, self-contained narration, and on the other hand they can get out of hand pretty easily, and sometimes it's just more convenient to have a single site so that you can talk about certain things only once. In your particular case, yeah, I'd agree that seven separate introductions are too much.

But I'm sure I've seen group fansites before...I remember one for four female characters, who had it...

Oh lol! I almost forgot the obvious - Denise's Copy Cat is a fansite to two characters, hm? She's got an introduction to the whole shebang and then introductions to each character, and then goes on cross-referencing everything.

I know this is a bit everywhere and might not really answer your questions, but all of this seems at least relevant!...
Todd

Post by Todd »

dubiousdisc wrote:I'm working on a site that's pretty much a shrine to (almost) all of the characters of a game, so I'm tackling it like a character-focused general series fansite. The idea of making the site was prompted by wanting to talk about a bunch of characters who are interconnected, so I can have some pages that explain the universe and the key events etc. etc. and then cross-reference them in the sections about the characters, which are basically small shrines. This way I don't have to introduce everything each time, which I feel is the problem with having subcollectives and then completely separate sites to several characters; I've had to treat each of my Quake 3 sites as if they were single-page units, thus needing an introduction to the series each time - and okay, at least in this particular canon's case there's very little to introduce...but I'm not really pleased with that, so yeah, I see where your problem comes from. On one hand I like having separate one-page sites that have a more complete, self-contained narration, and on the other hand they can get out of hand pretty easily, and sometimes it's just more convenient to have a single site so that you can talk about certain things only once. In your particular case, yeah, I'd agree that seven separate introductions are too much.

But I'm sure I've seen group fansites before...I remember one for four female characters, who had it...

Oh lol! I almost forgot the obvious - Denise's Copy Cat is a fansite to two characters, hm? She's got an introduction to the whole shebang and then introductions to each character, and then goes on cross-referencing everything.

I know this is a bit everywhere and might not really answer your questions, but all of this seems at least relevant!...
Haha, no, this is great! I mainly just wanted examples and best practices to refer to. I love your Quake site. I'm doing something similar with my Drew Barrymore site, with "sections" for each character I want to write about.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Good luck! I am not sure how to address it but it was something that I wanted to do also! I really wanted to make a shrine to all cat Pokemon!! (It is still something I want to do at some point.) My thoughts about a project like that:

- The site has the potential to be really massive but have repetitive information.
- The site isn't as thorough due to all of the potential information.
- Do you focus on the characters as individuals or do you focus on the characters as a group? Meaning your essays always focus on all of them as a whole.
- If you make separate sections is it more like a collective?

I guess the best way would be to address them all as a group first. Have a bunch of essays talking about them as a whole and get all of that out of the way. Then have a few pages where you dive down into them individually. What comes to my mind are relationship shrines where people talk about them together and then separately. It would be like that but with 8(?) characters. But I'm sure there are more interesting options for content. >)
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I've never done group shrines before, but it sounds very interesting. Koopalings <3