Using "I" when writing content

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Anise

Using "I" when writing content

Post by Anise »

Hey guys, I am used to working in an environment where you never write your opinions using the word "I" and that remains true when writing essays a lot of the time. When I'm writing content for shrines however, I find this is more difficult because a shrine is really a labor of love over a character/series/relationship/etc. that you care about.

I personally try to keep the opinions to the essay section but I was wondering how you guys handle thing situation?
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Todd

Re: Using "I" when writing content

Post by Todd »

Oh, this is an interesting topic! Thanks for bringing it up, Anise!

When writing scholarly essays (for school or work), I never use "I." I feel like shrine-writing is a different type of writing, however, and my shrines are littered with "I" and "me." I think it all depends on the voice you want to present on the shrine, however, and my shrines have always been very personal and very conversational. I want visitors to feel like I'm writing to them.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

^ seconded. Just want to add that you don't need to feel constricted to JUST using "I" or conversational voice in your essay section--your shrine, your rules!

If I have mostly personal analysis in my shrines (like on Something Good, Gifted, and Elusive Enchanter), then most if not all of my writing will feature "I." But if I have an info- or fact-heavy section or two where my personal viewpoint doesn't matter so much (like on Lux Perpetua or Inexhaustible Peace), then the "I" will not be present unless there are some special side notes or headcanons I want to include. That seems to work best for me.

(Side-note: I was always taught not to use "I" in my literature essays in high school, but during my Bachelor's in English and even my Masters in Ed, the use of "I" in essays seemed a little more relaxed. I still had to write with a "professional" tone, but since I was writing essays arguing a specific perspective on a subjective piece of literature instead of regurgitating "facts" about it, it made more sense to use "I." Thus, college essay writing was a helluva lot more fun! xD)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Well, my first language is one where you NEVER say "I" unless you're placing importance on the fact that you are stating something true for yourself, or you sound really conceited and self-important, so I come from a perspective of dodging the "I" as much as possible since I am viscerally averse to it, so I really get what you're saying there.

I think it's perfectly okay to write your shrine essays saying I, I, I, because yeah, everything that Todd said. Personally, however? In my fansites, I only say "I" when I'm stating my own opinion on something. When I'm out of that, I NEVER write "I". I usually want to put my focus on revealing the things that are interesting about a subject, not on the fact that they come from me, unless I'm mentioning something where it is important that it is understood that this is only my idea. I suppose I have the opposite approach here - I actually want to distance my writing from my person!

I really think it's all about the sort of voice that you want to have and where you want to put your focus.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

So I'm really inconsistent with my writing but I have been trying to be more conscious with it. With what I am writing right now, I am trying to write everything in third person, balance my passive and assertive voice in essays (he/she vs you), and make my grammar more consistent.

But I think it's definitely okay to write using "i". I will read people's essays that focus on I because it sounds more opinion-based and that is interesting to me.
Anise

Post by Anise »

Thanks for all your input guys! That seems to be in line with what I was thinking but it's been a while.

Todd, I agree and I definitely get that tone from your shrines.

Robin, I find it interesting that it was more relaxed in college. I went to an engineering school though and they were just glad when we could write coherent sentences. It was kind of sad to be honest.

DubiousDisc, I think I'm somewhere in between. I try to focus on using "I" only when stating my opinions and trying to focus my opinions in certain sections.

Destinie, I think it's important to be conscious on your inconsistencies. I always have trouble with tenses myself when talking about character history and such.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

This is an interesting topic! dubiousdisc, your response is really fascinating to me - I never knew that about Italian.

In high school and college I was always taught to avoid using "I" and "me" and as a result I used to find it really hard to them them in writing for fansites, which left them somewhat dry. These days I take a much more relaxed, casual tone and I tend to make it very clear to the reader when "I'm" the one stating my opinion versus setting out facts.
tonight fate is the
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Funny, I never really thought about the "I" thing in college but rarely used it unless my personal opinion or interpretation was directly required. Other than that, sources were required so the "I" just didn't fit. XD In a shrine though, it definitely fits and, in my opinion, even adds to it, making it feel more personal. Of course there should still be a balance between opinions and facts that put them into context.
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

Personally, when it comes to shrines and such, I think the use of "I" is okay because it's a relaxed atmosphere, you know? I read shrines because I want to KNOW how said web designer FEELS about said subject. I look for the "I"s and the "me"s! They give it the personal feel that I'm looking for. Of course, it's a matter of good writing to know when to include them and when to omit them but I think having them in your shrine period is perfectly okay!

When it comes to essays, professional things and assignments, however, I never use "I" simply because the personal aspect isn't what is needed for those particular pieces of writing. Your personal opinion isn't as important as solid proof.

This was a really interesting question to consider! :D thanks for asking it~
Laura

Post by Laura »

I see shrines and fan sites being far more casual and personal than something like a written essay for university or work. I personally will refer to myself whenever I'm writing opinion based information... cuz... you know, it's about what I think. xD But I still try to avoid using it as much as I can when I'm presenting factual information.

That being said, I think it's far more engaging to read a shrine that makes use of the author's personal reference. It's not just a site that provides accurate info about a topic, but it's also a passion for YOU. When I see a shrine that I don't know the character or series, I'm not that bothered to read it... but if I see someone making it more personal, I'm more willing to read through the content. :)

Certain practices are useful... I've been including glossaries and a list of key cast members in my new sites and I make sure to explain everything as if the person reading it will have no idea wtf I'm rambling on about. xD But I think if I throw in a few funny comments and personal references, it makes it a bit more light hearted. Maybe for a more serious character, you'd like to avoid that to make it fit more with that character's overall theme. :D

Finally, just a suggestion... you don't have to include personal opinions to one section of a site either. For the site I'm currently working on, I present all the facts and at the end, I include an opinion piece that's more about my opinion and involves more free talk. <3 Lots of ways to approach content!