"Shrine-Starter" Package

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

"Shrine-Starter" Package

Post by Destinie »

Riding off of the "Shrining for Newbies" post I had an idea just this morning and wanted to see what anyone thought.

I was thinking of a "Shrine-Starter" package for people who are completely new to shrines. I was envisioning maybe a text file or .zip file with files/concepts for essays that people could use as prompts for their first shrine. Things like: Basic information/Profile of character, Analysis of Character's Personality, Relations with Other characters, Why you like this character, etc. And then include this "bundle" with the "Shrining for Newbies" on the Amassment page.

Anyone have any thoughts? Good/bad? Any ideas for sections that would be helpful for getting a new person started?
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: "Shrine-Starter" Package

Post by nyxmidnight »

I think it's a good idea! As long as it's clear that it's suggestion and not a hard guideline of what we expect to see in a shrine for it to be "valid".
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

nyxmidnight wrote:I think it's a good idea! As long as it's clear that it's suggestion and not a hard guideline of what we expect to see in a shrine for it to be "valid".
YES. Very important ^^^

Edited to add these prompts:

For Shrines About Settings/Fictional Worlds
- Compare and contrast this fictional world with a real place that reminds you of it.
- Critique the setting--is it missing any details that you want to know more about? Is there anything that doesn't make sense?

For Shrines About Characters
- Examine this character's tragic flaw or greatest weakness.
- Imagine this character in a room with all your other favorite characters. How do they get along together?

For Shrines About Series
- Select the character that experiences the least growth and change throughout the series. How does this character's lack of growth affect the series or the rest of the cast?
- Is there another series that has similar elements (characters, setting, plot arcs)? How do these two series compare?

wow I seriously just went all English teacher on this LOLOLOL
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Aw, I really love this idea! I really struggle a lot when writing up an outline and deciding what to put in my shrines a lot of the time, and something like this would be perfect for some ideas.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I think it's a great idea. All the prompts would be optional and there can be a variety to choose from.

Here are some ideas:
How do you relate to this character?
Comparing your first impression of the character to what you think now.
Other characters that look/act alike or remind you of this character.
Most memorable, unusual or unexpected aspects of the character.
If you met this character, by traveling to their world or if they came here, what would happen?
Laura

Post by Laura »

I think it's a good idea, but I do echo the sentiments of everyone else who posted before me: it shouldn't be a hard guideline.

There's some good stuff about people's opinions but I think it's important to include facts too!

- What is the background of the character? This can be before, during or after the series.
- Does the character have any special abilities? If so, what are they? Doesn't need to be super powers, can be mundane things like cooking!
- Does the character have important connections in the world they're from? People, items, places, etc.
- Are there different versions of your character that differ greatly? ie: manga version, anime version, musicals, video games, novel, etc.

Also, some people (like myself) enjoy creating additional media for their shrines. So maybe it's worth suggesting some ideas like desktop wallpapers, forum avatars, iphone wallpapers... or even a fanart or fanfiction gallery, if the author enjoys those sorts of things. :3
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Destinie wrote:I was envisioning maybe a text file or .zip file with files/concepts for essays that people could use as prompts for their first shrine.
This can be done too via Google Docs and can just put as "view only" for quick access. It has an option too for the user to download.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Camy wrote:This can be done too via Google Docs and can just put as "view only" for quick access. It has an option too for the user to download.
Good idea! I use Google Drive for all my writing now, so I can access it in multiple places if I need to. x3 I think it's a great idea to host something like this, over a zip file. Then people can actually preview the files before downloading them. :3
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Mikari + Laura - Great ideas!

Camy- That's a great suggestion! I threw everything in this thread so far into the document here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L4l ... sp=sharing I'll find some time later to work it into something coherent and then share it in the "Shrining for Newbies" page.

Keep the great ideas coming! ♥
neo

Post by neo »

I'm not necessarily a newbie, but I found this totally helpful myself o|-(
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE