Just for fun: Shrine Creation Time

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Just for fun: Shrine Creation Time

Post by Destinie »

Just a fun little discussion:

What shrine has taken you the longest to make? How long? Are you still working on it?

What shrine has taken you the least time to make?

And why?

On average, how long does it take you to get a shrine up and running?

For me, there have been a lot of shrines that I have been working on that I haven't finished. I'd say for the longest it's probably my Saint Tail shrine that is STILL in the works. I think I started writing it back in 2013/2014? I open up the document once in a while. I think the reason it's taking me so long is because I have this grand vision for it. I have post-it notes in my old manga volumes of what I want to scan and reference and had been doing a lot of research on it. Maybe I got burnt out? I would love to get it up someday. :)

The shortest might be Penumbra. I think I got the entire shrine up in one afternoon - layout and all. Of course, it's a one-pager so I think that was a little easier for me. I can't think of a multi-pager that would be close behind it.

On average it can take me a few months to complete a multi-page shrine. Sometimes if I am really into it I try to accomplish it in a couple weeks. I have to be very motivated and have lots of time! Of course, there's no set deadline for shrines - only the ones I self-impose.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: Just for fun: Shrine Creation Time

Post by Larissa »

What shrine has taken you the longest to make? How long? Are you still working on it?
For me that's My Story, which took... 8 years. :sob: At least it's finally done!! (I am still somewhat amazed, I can't lie.) Now I just have to finish Lightning, which I've been working on since... 2010? 2011? Something like that...

What shrine has taken you the least time to make? And why?
Imprison took me about three days, all told. It was a quick, fun little project. Most of my Pokémon sites (aside from Level 20) took about that long to put together, between gathering materials, coding, and writing.

Entirely depends on the size of the site. A small site I can get done in a week. A large site can take me several months. If it's one I get stuck on, then it can stretch to several years. The months range is a good average for most of my sites though.
tonight fate is the
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Larissa WOW!! 8 Years! That is amazing! Was part of the 8 years tweaking it and reworking it over time, on and off? Are there are a couple years in between where you didn't work on it at all? Did you ever think you might not get it up and live? (just curious because I feel like sometimes I'm the only person struggling with a half-finished site laying around haha)
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

@Destinie: Haha I talked about it on the site but I wrote a chunk of the content in 2008, then another in 2011-ish, then came back to it now and then over the years. Finally this year I sat down and pulled everything I had together, then finished writing the rest of the content. It took a couple of weeks but I finally finished :heart:
tonight fate is the
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I could have lots of answers for this, but I think I'm gonna go with Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. I've been working on that shrine for approaching two years and it's still not finished yet. I'm getting there though! Tohru could be considered up there too. I've been trying to work on something since 2010 and while I finally have something to show for it the site is still far from complete. Lyn could also count but I'm not sure. The shrine was open since 2004, went contentless for years and was finished nine years later.

Lopunny. No questions asked. Took me a total of three days to complete. I was super crazy inspired to make a Lopunny shrine so I went with it.

This is really hard to say. It varies with each shrine and I don't always remember when I start. I'm gonna say a couple months but it could be more or less.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Back when I made shrines... probably A Boy and His Cat, which was adopted by Neo and can be viewed here. It's by far the biggest I've ever made and the most fun team project I've been a part of.

Timeless Samurai (Saito from Hakuoki) it was a one page personal dedication with my thoughts and some media. It focused more on my thoughts than on plot analysis so it was very blog-post in style.

It used to take between a week and a month.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Ehehehe I'm still not done with my [and Denise's] Agarest shrine XD
It's been in the works since...2014 I think. The reason why it's not ready yet is because we started working on it as we were playing the game, but we need to replay it, and it's the game with the longest main storyline I've ever encountered so we need to be ready to play it a little bit every day. We also wanted to let some time sit between the first and the second playthrough because the gameplay itself can be pretty tedious, even if we're interested in the plot and the characters, so we didn't want to overdose on it. Destinie, to expand butt in your question to Larissa, this is totally a case of half-finished site laying around, which sometimes we've worked a lot on, and right now it hasn't been touched for a long while XD I think it will be online eventually, but I'm not fretting over it. It will come when I'll want to play the game again, I'm sure.

What shrine has taken you the least time to make?
Rakkaholic I think. It was made for the OPOM and, in spite of it being about 8000 words, it took me only a couple of days to write and put together. I don't know what happened. I thought I didn't know what to write but...I guess it turns out I did?

Usually, I take at least a few weeks to set up the general sketch of a site. I also like to let things sit and simmer for a while, so some more time goes as the site sits there untouched.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

That would have to be my Dove shrine--it took me seven years from drafting the first piece of content to publishing what is now online. The sudden death of my hard drive (and subsequent loss of work ;_;) in 2011 had a lot to do with it, plus I was working on a ton of other projects, AND I wasn't sure if I even wanted to attempt a big shrine like that again because my attention span had shortened to almost nil. LOL

I am still working on it, too! I need to assemble a picture gallery that I've been promising for almost a year, but I still haven't gotten a scanner that doesn't make me rage and flip a proverbial table yet. At this rate I might just lay the comics out in full sun and take pics with my iPhone--that's what I did for the pics that are already up LOLOLOL

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Probably my Helen Burns shrine. I wasn't even planning to make a shrine about anything from Jane Eyre at first, even though it's one of my favorite books. And if I did ever make a shrine about it, I reasoned I would probably make a Jane x Mr. Rochester shrine because d'awwwww and ~angst~ and OTP and all.

But then, I started reading through the book again in January of 2015, and as I hit the chapter(s) with Jane's friend Helen in them, I was suddenly hit with the "shrine bug." According to my site file dates, I started work on it January 9th, and finished it on January 12th. (Holy crap, THREE DAYS...my brain was on FIYAHHHHHHHH! LOL!!)

I think it took me less time to make this shrine because Helen is a minor character, and doesn't appear in the book very long, thus I didn't have to do a TON of flipping back and forth in the book for research. At the time, I was just getting back into shrining and needed something that felt easier to accomplish, and that certainly fit the bill!

I can create one from absolute scratch in a month if I push SUPER HARD, but I usually end up with a subpar product because I'm rushing. (I can tell which ones are subpar by the Amassment reaction, too--especially from Todd and Lethe. Even if I've put forth what I feel is my best month's effort, even if I'm pretty proud of it, if those two ignore it, I pretty much know I've made a "dud" and need to do more work on it. See: Bing Bong, Sound of Music, and Evinrude.) This is why I don't join the 1 Page 1 Month challenges, because I know I'm going to make something that I'll just have to go back and fix later...LOL

I actually prefer to plan things out for about 3 months ahead of time--lay some groundwork, make images, tinker with the layout & fonts, add and reorganize content, etc.--and then sprint to the finish once the self-set deadline nears. This is exactly the process y'all are seeing with my Eighth Doctor shrine--drafting, re-drafting, layout tweaking, agonizing over small layout choices, more layout tinkering (and usually screwing stuff up), word vomiting, cleaning up word vomit over the course of several weeks, and lastly, adding in-article pictures (because I hate putting in images when I'm not done with the content yet!). LMAO

TL;DR "Average"-quality shrines take me at least a month. GOOD shrines take me at least 3 and sometimes 4 months for best quality.
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Robin I'm glad you managed to get that shrine up (and congrats on winning SOTM! I think your work was worth it!) :D I'm glad you stuck with it because I do love reading through it. It's also so nice to see a shrine for a character in a series I've never even heard of it and I enjoyed reading about how you like her so much. I digress...

I think the smartphone camera is a great invention because now instead of waiting to scan things (since our current scanner is not compatible with my new-ish laptop) I just use my phone and tweak it in photoshop. Success! So that's definitely a viable option so you don't have to keep dealing with that finicky contraption! :P

Also, I don't think your Evirude site is a "dud", I particularly like it!

@Dubs Ah, the half-finished site. Got it! I remember talking to you about your Agarest shrine YEARS ago. I'm still waiting! Patiently!! :p
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Robin wrote:I can create one from absolute scratch in a month if I push SUPER HARD, but I usually end up with a subpar product because I'm rushing. (I can tell which ones are subpar by the Amassment reaction, too--especially from Todd and Lethe. Even if I've put forth what I feel is my best month's effort, even if I'm pretty proud of it, if those two ignore it, I pretty much know I've made a "dud" and need to do more work on it. See: Bing Bong, Sound of Music, and Evinrude.) This is why I don't join the 1 Page 1 Month challenges, because I know I'm going to make something that I'll just have to go back and fix later...LOL
Oh no! This was... honestly never my intention? If I've made you feel that way, I'm really sorry, and I want you to know that I'm always looking forward to any of your projects, big or small. I know you often talk about your weaknesses, but honestly, the content of your sites has always been a big inspiration to me, and has directly influenced some things I've made and am making.

I've looked up the examples you gave, and noticed that I had commented on all three of them. Perhaps you felt that my reaction wasn't as strong compared to some other shrines of yours I've given feedback on (Lux Perpetua and Counterbalance come to mind)? Please don't take the seemingly "weak" reaction as your shrines being "duds", that makes me very sad. :( If I don't comment on something, it might be that I don't have the time, or am not familiar enough with the subject to feel comfortable commenting on it, and in some cases, I really don't have much to say - or to add, when others have commented before.

If I comment, and my reply is short, that doesn't mean someone's site sucks. :( I enjoyed the shrines you linked, especially the ones that were tributes to very minor characters, and I love how personal you've made those. I think from both perspectives (the creator's and the visitor's), if it's a shrine to a minor subject, there's sometimes... "only so much" that can be said (which is not to say that it's impossible to take a minor subject and write a lot about it), but that doesn't mean the effort wasn't there, or that the shrine is worth less. On all of your sites, I always feel how much the subject has personally touched you, and that's always lovely to read about - but not necessarily something that I'd comment on in as many words? I hope you understand what I mean.

Please don't base your pride in something you've created on certain people's reaction to your creation, especially if there could be so many different reasons for the lack of reaction or the length of a comment. :( On the other hand, I think that one page shrines (and especially the challenges) are a really nice way to get working on something you've always wanted to make, or something you didn't even want to know you wanted to make! It doesn't have to stop at the end of the month: You can still go back and refine it, or even expand it. While that may seem tedious, I think it's worth it if you end up with shrines you wouldn't have thought of making otherwise.
Destinie wrote: For me, there have been a lot of shrines that I have been working on that I haven't finished. I'd say for the longest it's probably my Saint Tail shrine that is STILL in the works. I think I started writing it back in 2013/2014? I open up the document once in a while. I think the reason it's taking me so long is because I have this grand vision for it. I have post-it notes in my old manga volumes of what I want to scan and reference and had been doing a lot of research on it. Maybe I got burnt out? I would love to get it up someday. :)
YOU KNOW WHO'S WAITING FOR THIS. <O><O> YOU HAVE A RESERVED SPOT ON MY DREAM SAGA SHRINE'S AFFILIATE LIST.

Valkyrie took me 2-3 months, and is the one shrine so far that I initially released unfinished due to the challenge deadline. Thanks to that experience, I think it's great to release a shrine unfinished after you've hit a personal goal (for example, the entire introduction section), and get feedback on it to stay motivated. If you work on something that takes a long time, and can't get feedback and acknowledgement for it for the duration, it can take a hit on your motivation.

My Reira shrine was started in 2012, but I haven't touched it since, and when I do, I will probably completely revamp what I've already written up, coded an designed. I don't like experiencing (video games, for example) or working on something with different perspectives and memories of it, and the me in 2012 is different from the me now. That's just as far as I am concerned though - I think it's amazing that some people have been working on and off on a project for years!

Jamais Plus took less than a week because it was straight-forward; the source material is short, it's a one page shrine, and it's mostly commentary and analysis rather than introduction or summaries. I take a lot longer for content on shrines when I have to write up introduction pieces for people who need a refresher on the subject or who aren't familiar with the subject at all, since I don't enjoy writing those parts...

I got back into shrining during summer break, so almost all shrines were finished within two weeks then. Since university started again, I stopped paying much attention to how long it takes to make a shrine, since I understand now that I have to space writing sessions out, and just work whenever I am in the right condition for it. (Of course, some discipline is needed too.) I think a few months is to be expected for a medium or large project now!
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.