Routine Maintenance?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Todd

Re: Routine Maintenance?

Post by Todd »

I do routine maintenance on some sites a lot more than others. Some I don't really maintain at all, sadly. It's not that I don't want to maintain those sites; I just never get to them. For example, Poltergeist gets a lot of TLC and Silent Lucidity is a mess. lol I should come up with a system to hit them all rather than just working on sites I'm interested in at the time.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Maybe we should put together a thread or something to help inspire people to do routine maintenance on their shrines they are less attentive of? :p
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Destinie wrote:Maybe we should put together a thread or something to help inspire people to do routine maintenance on their shrines they are less attentive of? :p
SECONDING ^^^

It could even be an official yearly Amassment event, or a member-run challenge of some sort :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Hey, if there's enough interest I wouldn't mind starting a thread for this and make it a semi-monthly thing. :p
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I make a mental note of things I want to do and then I procrastinate doing them.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I won't lie, I recently dropped the ball on my only online shrine and updating it for the past two years and for the past three years without a serious revamp or new content. The series has since then released two movies and continued on with a new anime series so I knew I needed to get to the point to update it.

After getting out a very bad relationship, I suddenly found myself pulling back into my old hobbies and starting to update again (surprise, surprise). I guess I'm motivation once again after trying to force myself for so long to do new things, I'm actually doing new, small things now and it feels great.

I still though have a hard time wanting to make a new layout. It has been three years but I'm still in love with this layout even if the shrine totally deserves some love and attention.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Amber: *HUGGGGGGS* we're glad to have you back, and glad you're getting back into the swing of things!! No worries on how long it takes to update, what you choose to update and when...just do what makes you happy!!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Amber I'm glad you're not in a bad relationship anymore and hopefully in a much better place! ♥ Echoing what Robin said: it's good to have you back!

For your shrine, you don't need to make a new layout if you love it! Pump it up with some new content and that should be more than enough. :) I have some shrines myself where I made a layout and finally felt satisfied so I can update content without worrying about the design. I used to wait until I had a new layout to totally revamp content but I don't think it's necessary.
Laura

Post by Laura »

I sadly do not do routine maintenance at all on my sites. I think occasionally I will check for broken links in the linkage section or add new links when I find them, but that's about it. I think it's partially because I'm too busy working on remaking old sites and creating new ones to focus on adding even more content to freshly updated sites.

For my Uranus/Neptune shrine, I wanted to add more content for SMCrystal as it came out, which I succeeded in doing until the season actually aired. /facepalm At that point, I wasn't even bothered with watching the series and was too busy with real life. I'll get around to it soon though. XD;
Destinie wrote:Maybe we should put together a thread or something to help inspire people to do routine maintenance on their shrines they are less attentive of? :p
I love this idea! I know we're having the revamp event but I really like the idea of having a very small, specific goal to do every month for one or more of our sites. Even something as simple as "make 5 icons" or "complete an unfinished page" would be really nice! Especially if it's random every month. :)

I want to go back and add more content to some of my other sites but haven't yet because I'm too busy working on new ones! I think a little monthly goal would be enough to encourage me to do something. <3