Routine Maintenance?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Routine Maintenance?

Post by Destinie »

How do you deal with routine shrine maintenance or do you do it at all?

I have some updates that I need to go through and do and sometimes I put them off forever until I do one huge update that includes a layout. Unless my site is in archive mode, then I'm not even touching it. ORZ
Lethe

Re: Routine Maintenance?

Post by Lethe »

My shrines haven't existed all that long, but... I've had to go through each of them 5-10 times already for minor adjustments, for example when I change how repeating information on each shrine's index is phrased or presented, since I want that part to be uniform across all sites. It's tedious.

When I recently revamped my entire network, I also wrote up a huge list of things I would need to streamline, fix or add across all sites (including code updates), and went through that checklist for each of them. I'm not even done yet, as one part of it included updating depreciated table codes (cellpadding, for example), and some of the sites have... a lot of tables. ;_;

If it's only one site where something visible needs adjusting, I try to edit it right away just so it won't sit in a list forever. If it's something bigger, or if it's small, but tedious, or something minor (like a typo when I reread my shrines) and I don't feel like dealing with it yet, I put it on my site maintenance list at listography so I won't forget my plans.

I actually quite enjoyed doing routine maintenance for a bunch of sites all at once though - it seems like a drag when you look at the list of things that need to get done, but once you've started, you really get into it and feel very productive haha.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I've been trying to do maintenance when it needs doing, right then, because if I write it on a list and then misplace the list, then absolutely nothing gets done for months XD

My monthly site projects list has helped me a LOT in making new sites and revising old ones, though! I can't exactly lose a list that's saved on my domain...I just have to remember to look at it. ^_^;

/kicks aside updates for May, June, and July that were already supposed to be done
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I try to fix mistakes whenever I find them, and usually when I find one I will reread the entire site and see if I can find more, so I usually end up fixing all I find in a site at the same time. Exception for actual revamps and such, in which case I take note and then do it whenever.
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

I used to do routine maintence on my sites (for everything from dead links to broken images to updating info etc.) every 6 months but somewhere down the line, I simply stopped doing that at all and honestly, that's something I need to get back into! My sites feel like they're getting older and older and that it's simply by my own neglect >>;;
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Emrys I feel like that, too! I know I have a couple of sites *coughstarfox-relatedcough* that have been in the neglected state for years.

Right now I have a list of updates that I would like to do to my Pokemon shrines. I should go through and focus on my other shrines at Love-gala at some point. I feel really bad when I sites still up that are not up to code, or my personal, standards.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I do routine maintenance on some sites a lot more than others. Some I don't really maintain at all, sadly. It's not that I don't want to maintain those sites; I just never get to them. For example, Poltergeist gets a lot of TLC and Silent Lucidity is a mess. lol I should come up with a system to hit them all rather than just working on sites I'm interested in at the time.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Maybe we should put together a thread or something to help inspire people to do routine maintenance on their shrines they are less attentive of? :p
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Destinie wrote:Maybe we should put together a thread or something to help inspire people to do routine maintenance on their shrines they are less attentive of? :p
SECONDING ^^^

It could even be an official yearly Amassment event, or a member-run challenge of some sort :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Hey, if there's enough interest I wouldn't mind starting a thread for this and make it a semi-monthly thing. :p