Introduction Pages and Basic Info: How?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Megan A

Introduction Pages and Basic Info: How?

Post by Megan A »

(TY Lethe for the subject)

When writing for my shrines, I noticed that I struggle with all of it writing the basic and introductory content that introduces the visitor to the subject, media that the subject is from, and other basic things that may fall in these sections. SO I DECIDED TO POST ABOUT IT.

Do you have basic info sections on your shrines? When writing these sections on your shrines, how do you decide what information/sections to include? Do you avoid writing out spoilers? Does shrine subject ever influence whether you include or skip this section? What do you like to see in basic information sections on shrines that you visit? Do you read these sections on shrines?

Let's just discuss thoughts on writing / reading basic info sections!
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Introduction Pages and Basic Info: How?

Post by Robin »

Ugh, basic info pages...the bane of my shrining existence, aside from silly layout screwups in other browsers. xD

Problems with Basic Info
In my experience, basic info just takes so LONG to do and to do RIGHT. I don't want the page to be completely spoilerific and ruin the mystery of exploring the piece of media on its own, but if I don't put a bunch of spoilers, the visitor will get lost/confused and then not read the rest of my shrine because my intro sucks like an Electrolux. So I'm never sure whether to make the intro quick and snappy or be completely thorough.

(...Weirdly, the shrines I've made that seem to have better intros actually have intro SECTIONS, so I think maybe limiting the intro to one page is what's throwing me??? that just occurred to me.)

Anyhoo, the other big problem is that I know the media piece through and through, and so writing super basic info feels SO BORING to me sometimes; I've actually given up on shrines before because writing the basic info was so TEDIOUS and I couldn't get the oomph to finish. I also worry that in writing basic info, I'm going to accidentally dumb the media down and make it seem utterly uninteresting to someone else. :/

Also I hate having to transcribe things from audio or video (which I have to do if I'm going to provide text based evidence for my shrine essays), but so much of the material I want to shrine is not transcribed anywhere on the Internet already, so I can't just link to a good source and move on--I have to transcribe it all myself. Neck tension/spasms, ahoy (and ADHD rage, ahoy).

What I Prefer in Basic Info

- Clear explanation/summary of shrined subject
- Maybe a few details on why this subject was chosen
- Good amount of white space to visually break up info (because I get lost in long paragraphs really really easily)
- Not too many technical details at first--immerse me emotionally in the world of the shrined thing first
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Ugh, basic info pages. They're a pain to write, but I've found that once I get started, the rest comes pretty naturally. I try to include a basic info page for all of my sites since it might help those who are unfamiliar with the subject I'm writing about. Alsooo, it gives me a place to start with my shrine while I'm fumbling and being a sloth with everything else, hohoho.

Here's some stuff I include:
  • title of the series, etc.
  • who created it
  • when it was released
  • the release of other related media (ie. if it's a manga series, when the anime was released, drama CDs, etc.); not really necessary
  • summary/premise of the series (ie. what are the characters trying to accomplish)
  • main characters
On a basic info page, I try to have both the series and character covered. For the latter I include:
  • basic statistics (ie. nicknames, birthday, all that good trivia stuff)
  • general history and personality
I don't include spoilers unless it's necessary. If the character I'm making a shrine to shows up in the middle of the series, I might provide a summary of where the plot is at the point when that character appears. For instance, in Bleach, Gin shows up during the Soul Society Arc, so I included a basic premise of the arc on the page, too.

But if basic info pages aren't really your thing, definitely don't feel pressured to do it! If you'd like, you could toss in some links to official websites or online articles (Wikipedia, etc.) in your exits page instead to give visitors a chance to learn more about the series. :content:

Personally, a basic info page that just includes a plot summary of the series is helpful enough for me! I'll probably learn what I need to know as I read through the shrine. I'll oftentimes look up the series myself if I'm interested enough or still have questions.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Lovely topic! Not going to repeat what Robin and Andrea have said since it's all solid advice! Here's my tl;dr; sorry if it's disjointed, my brain is distracted.

Anyway, on the inclusion of basic info pages or sections on shrines:
  • Yes, I always include them in some way, though length and content varies from shrine to shrine. Even if I'd prefer to write at an established audience, the joy of this hobby and community comes from introducing other people to the things you like, and hopefully get them to check it out too.

Sometimes I come across shrines with subjects that are part of a complex setting, where said setting is not explained due to a lack of introduction. I've noticed that even if I am familiar with the subject myself, it feels a bit "off" later on when there's a page that builds on a basic concept of said world, with the basic concept itself not having been explained or even mentioned on the site before. :O It seems abrupt, so, even if you are writing at an established audience, including some lead-up (and refresher) to things you'll later on discuss is a good thing - it will strenghten those later pages.
Concerning my difficulties with info sections on shrines:
  • I sometimes struggle with what to come up with in "basic profiles" of characters, a staple on shrines. I think those are very cute pages to have, and they familiarize the reader with the character you'll write about. My issue is that I probably have so many thoughts and feelings on said character, I don't know how to distill them while still doing them justice. Even if it's "just" personality, I'm probably already planning on writing separate essays about that later on in the shrine, so I don't want the basic info page to take away material (the points I'll be making) from those later essays.

Anyway, after some character shrines recently and with the way I structure my shrines in general, I think it's best to focus on first impressions. What is the core of a character (whether or not it develops later on), what is a good and accurate first impression to have of a character?

Usually, you can already mix this with some analysis by examining how the character is introduced in the story itself, and how they are portrayed. Are they friendly or hostile towards the protagonist, what designated role do they have in the main setting, does the outside reflect the inside, how do other characters react to that first appearance, any tropes in play? Sometimes, that first appearance leads up so well to the subject you're talking about, you might want to consider making it a page even before the basic profile.

Examples of first impressions pages I've written:
    http://kyoko.oubliette.nu/start.php?kyoko
    http://yuyuka.oubliette.nu/index.php?firsts

As for basic profile pages, I try to capture a character while still remaining on the surface... Official blurbs and stats help there. Since I'm looking to introduce them with few words and few analysis (reserved for later), I think of "fun" ways to do it: a facial expression gallery, trademark lines (notable quotes) or design elements - things that are superficial to the character while still being a big part of their presentation.

Examples:
    http://haru.oubliette.nu/intro.php?haruka
    http://yuyuka.oubliette.nu/index.php?surface
    http://rose.oubliette.nu/stranger.php?profile

I also look at pages within a shrine as connected things that serve one another, so I avoid making the basic profile page something that people can outright skip or that exists in isolation. Ideally, it'd be great for a basic profile to contain points that you'll later address: For example, you introduce how a character seems at first glance on the outside, but later make a page to argue against it. Or you introduce something that seems like a minor element, or only the start of the character's issues, and later on, you show just how big of a thing it is in that character's the story.

It does bore me when a basic profile page is just official stats that aren't ever picked up again on the shrine, though I understand the "information collection" part of that! It's just, I like it better when there's more to it than that - something that leaves an impression and guides the reader through the shrine and the subject itself.
What sections to include depending on your subject:
  • Depends what sections are necessary for the visitor to understand your later pages, the main part of the shrine! On my Yuyuka shrine, I wrote like one sentence about the actual series (on the very index) because it has next to no relevance to Yuyuka's personal story. On my Claymore shrine, I didn't describe the story either, since the shrine's aim is to introduce the setting and its own rules rather than story and characters. On my Rose shrine, copy-pasting the history of the world from the game manual was more important than writing about the story of the RPG, because ancient history is the focus of the shrine later on.

Be flexible! There are no elements that are MUSTS to have for shrines - think about things that are MUSTS to have for what you are trying to express and what messages you will be conveying. You set your own stage, and you cherry-pick what's worth addressing.
Spoilers:
  • How much of a spoiler something is is different for everyone. As long as you keep in mind to be considerate, I'd say don't hesitate to include minor spoilers (such as when and under which circumstances a character is going to make their appearance) if you trust that it will capture the reader and make them want to explore the subject. :|
Stuff I like seeing:
  • Rants and lots of judging. Yes, tell me whether that manga or game is worth experiencing or whether I should just leave it at your shrine. I can pull summaries and basic info off official sites and Wikipedia; chances are I've even seen the thing around on the internet already. But from those superficial interactions, I won't know what the strong and weak points of the thing are, and in any case, I want to know what the person who dedicates a shrine to the subject things about the source material, since that will shape how I'll absorb information throughout the shrine. Do they think the thing is perfection? Are they writing from nostalgia? Is the thing rage-inducing, but worth the frustration? Is a character the sole saving grace of a thing? Is the thing awfully-written, and the shrine is going to compensate with deep analysis that is "not per se part of the source material", but valid and personally enriching nonetheless?

I also like reading trivia and things that a casual consumer might otherwise not know about. Examples: a game being the spiritual successor to some other game, spin-off media or companion books, existing adaptations, changes in character design during development, some cute random fact in an official blurb that gets commented on in the basic profile of a shrine or adorned by pictures, translation quality/localization changes, good things to know before starting a game (tips, bugs, etc.), whether or not the thing was a success or whether a character is popular in fandom, hm...

Creative presentation is also always great to see: eye candy and key words for example!
I generally read everything on a shrine since I want to know what people are making, but if I'm familiar with the material and/or the basic information seems too dry, I skim that part. I prefer intro pages to be written with personal feelings and observations and to have some substance to them. 8Ia
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Anise

Post by Anise »

I don't know that I'll be as eloquent as Robin, Andrea, or Lethe but I'll give it a shot.

Do you have basic info sections on your shrines?
Yes. I think all of them have them to a varying degree. Most take the form of summaries of the series or backgrounds on the character. Some are only a few lines while others seem to be rather long and describe not only the series but the creators and random facts about it.

When writing these sections on your shrines, how do you decide what information/sections to include? Do you avoid writing out spoilers?
Usually I write a summary of the series and start from there. I try not to contain spoilers because I feel they should be saved for later so that the reader discover spoilers about the subject of the shrine in a natural progression. Sometimes that doesn't work so well. For example, the Marvel the universe is so wide that to describe how individuals fit into the series is an impressive feat. For that reason, with Clint and Kate I skip the usual series summary and go with a profile and history of the character rather than a single 'basic information' page. Even then the history probably contains spoilers for the histories of the characters if someone had limited familiarity.

Does shrine subject ever influence whether you include or skip this section?
It more influences how I present the basic information as explained above. I always try to include it though as I find it is a good place to start for those unfamiliar with the subject matter.

What do you like to see in basic information sections on shrines that you visit?
I like to see information about the series or character so that if I'm unfamiliar with the subject matter I am given a summary that provides the basis on which they can understand the rest of the shrine. I like if this initially summary is more personal than just a summary I could read on wikipedia or any other site. I want to know why you like the series or subject but not to the extent that it takes away from your later analysis, just something small that gives me an impression of the feelings that led you to create the shrine.

Do you read these sections on shrines?
Yes! I absolutely do I try to read shrines end to end.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I find introduction pages the hardest sections to write because, for me, they serve the purpose of not just introducing the subject but also introducing the way I'm tackling my analysis of the subject. So, I don't really have a clear sense of what the site I'm writing is going to be like until I am able to write the introduction section.

Since I write my shrines with the intent to be read by both fans and non-fans of what I'm talking about, I always include some sort of spoiler-free introduction in which I introduce the subject in relation to its series. I try to write the introduction as if I were trying to explain what's this thing that I find exciting to someone who is just hearing about it for the first time from me, so in a sense I tackle it like an elevator pitch in which my main focus is to explain what it is, why do I care, and why should you care.

That's also what I like to see in other people's introduction pages: a personal presentation of the subject, rather than just an introduction to the topic. I read these sections always, regardless of how familiar I am with the source material - in fact, often I find that these sections are especially fun if you're already well-acquainted with the topic (I'm thinking of the intro page Larissa has on her Gyarados site, for example - I found it a blast to read).
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

So my issue with basic info pages is to know when to stop writing and trying to figure out when and where my content becomes boring or, hopefully not, patronizing. I omit basic information pages on my Pokemon shrines because I think that most people who are visiting are already familiar with it, but then on other shrines I wonder what length I should achieve. I sort of had this issue with my upcoming Godzilla site because there's so much I could write about but I think I needed it to be concise enough to give a good idea of the character and background but not be an entire site dedicated to the history. I think you could write as much as you want and then feel free to provide other links to where people have already done the grunt work.

I also think you should be able to give enough information that covers just the CHARACTER and not necessarily the entire franchise, if that is the point of your shrine. So if it is a game, for example, you could give a brief overview and mention where your character comes in. A few of my favorite intro pages:

http://refill.last-fencer.net/intro.php - Short, simple and you get the overall gist of things

http://idike.oubliette.nu/index.php?once - Lethe gives you a good sense of the series and then she gives you the option to read more - if you want! This is a nice idea to tackle that sense of "Am I being too TL;DR?"

http://tidus.website/ - IMO Todd has 2 intro pages here: Intro to the character and to the game. The thing I like about his intro to the game page is that he talks more about why the game is significant to him more than the dry facts which I think is a really powerful addition to his shrine.

I'm seconding DubiousDisc that it's really nice to read intros that are more personal (maybe I should take a hint because I feel like mine are always so DRY).
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

After seeing Destinie's post (thank you for linking my shriiine) and setting up that Media Inspiration topic the other day, I feel like it'd also benefit us to make a list of basic pages we like in this topic, to pool the many different ideas, ways of presenting info and such - especially since intro pages are usually not singled out to be commented on. (I browsed a lot of random shrines just now to make this list precisely because of that.) So I'm giving myself permission to link-dump. :D
  • Generally, basic profile pages tend to be very diverse if they go beyond an official list of data or descriptions... A lot of shrines adress personality there, or already vaguely state how the character is going to change over the story! Some also cover information there that will not be covered again later on (whereas others would dedicate an entire page to it later), such as fashion, name meaning or voice actors. So there's a lot of different ways to go about it! :D
  • Ace of Hearts - Couples intro to the story and character. I really like it when basic info pages tell me how significant a character is in terms of the story or franchise/series, especially by already telling me the role they play. It makes it easier to put the pages that follow into context.
  • Howling Moon - Rather than showing a list or table of data, this page breaks down those bits of info into paragraphs to elaborate on them (without going on for too long), all with a good portion of humour! Also doesn't hesitate to refer visitors to later pages on the shrine for in-depth info on a subject.
  • Vanishing Star - I don't think I often see information on a game/manga/etc. (anything that isn't a character) presented as a list on shrines, but it's an effective way to deliver that info and get it out of the way without having to convert it to running text lol. The page addresses some opinions on the game that might deter people from playing it. :O I especially like that last paragraph that says how the game has contributed to the series as a whole, how it may have deperated from previous elements, and just where it stands within a series, mechanically or otherwise - I always love that kind of stuff. *_* Several Final Fantasy shrines do this (example 1 example 2), and I'd love to see it on shrines for other video game series too. :D
  • redcrown.net - Larissa's video game shrines usually have a small section on the intro page dedicated to listing where you can get your hands on a game nowadays, especially since there are so many ports, remasters, etc. while also briefly detailing the differences between the versions. I think it's a really caring way to subtly nudge visitors to go try out a thing lol. (example)
  • Aurora - I like the placement of name meaning and role musings on this shrine.
  • Roses Have Thorns - It links to a bunch of reviews at the bottom, which I think is interesting for those interested in learning more from different perspectives, or about aspects not covered on the shrine (especially gameplay). :O I can imagine doing that if I had more reviews to recommend. Not happening, too much rage.
  • Easy Breezy - Neat presentation makes info easy to absorb.
  • Memento - I like the story-style of the text at the top; it sets the mood while introducing key aspects of the character's story.
  • Baroque Orange / Libertatem - These do something I don't think I've seen before: introducing the cast with a small blurb, but only in so far as they affect the shrine's subject. You'll see it even better when you compare the two pages.
  • Dark Claws - Writing a personal introduction on a thing that everyone already knows.
  • Transformation / Renaissance / Somewhere Only We Know - Introducing a video game (and to some extent also anime/manga where applicable) character by their powers and playstyle or archetype is usually spoiler-free and can set up for more later on, especially since archetypes usually are associated with certain things and give a first impression of the character, and a character's fighting style is usually not completely random, but a reflection of who they are.
  • uncontrol - I like being introduced to things via their themes, even better when the shrine builds on that later on in relation to the subject.
I've also been influenced by Todd's shrines, the Sabin shrine linked above in particular, to make an entire introduction section for bigger topics that I'm shrining, so as to offer the visitor with a good amount of material to read if they're interested before they decide whether they want to experience the thing themselves first before reading on.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

NP, Lethe ♥ Also these are all great intro pages! I love the idea of breaking the information out visually and trying to make it more interesting that way.