"Tools" and ways to make your shrines?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Mayumi

Re: "Tools" and ways to make your shrines?

Post by Mayumi »

Like some of you, I also use Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Didn't start using Dreamweaver until I got a Macbook. I used to use Notepad but I'm soo happy using Dreamweaver cause as previously mentioned. As for step by step stuff, I use TextEdit.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I'm a bit different I think when I work on my shrines (well, my two currently). In 2009, I simply created a page and wrote content as I had time to work on it and state my opinion on the page.

For my current upcoming shrine, I've been slowly but surely doing things a bit different than I did last time. I actually made an "outlline" so to speak of my TMNT shrine and fanlisting for Donatello on paper. I even wrote the .php name pages out.

I work then write pages in Microsoft Word and slowly just add pages and content to the pages. I use HotHTML 2001 to view an HTML version of the page and then upload/preview my designs.

Before my laptop crashed in December, I used Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro for my graphics. However, since the computer crashed I have not downloaded Photoshop on this computer because I'm borrowing it from my mother. However, I just bought Paint Shop Pro X6...so it's been nice to get back to using my lightweight design program for now. :)

However, I typically have to have the content written out in Microsoft Word and/or on paper before I can even try to work on a shrine. This is the first time I had the shrine design done before the content because of my fanlisting deadline coming up. ^_^;
neo

Post by neo »

dragoneyes wrote:I start with...*drums roll* paper and pencil! Specifically, I use them to write a list of things that I want to be part of the shrine (mostly content sections) and to sketch a drawft of the layout.
Me too, mee too! ^___^ I draw a few ideas I want the layout to look like and do my best to create it with Photoshop and (gasp) regular notepad! :3 I usually only use Notepad ++ if there is an error in my code and it's on "LINE 345658u3430299342" since Notepad ++ has line numbers option. But, I really can't stand using it since it types in codes for me and I am so used to typing everything out ><". (I like to do stuff the hard way 8'D .. )

I always make all of my files .php because I never really know when I will be adding some php elements to my site ^-^. So, a lot of them are just .php for no real reason xD
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Destinie wrote: For coding, I recently downloaded Notepad++ which I would highly recommend. (Where have you been all my web-coding life?) It's great! I love how it auto-indents and how clean it looks and how it color codes everything. It's like Notepad but way easier to actually read your code.
(pardon the necropost)

I also love Notepad++, though I've also used SublimeText and heard a few programmer friends rave about it. For the actual site development, different-colored code is such an eye-saver.

For content writing, however, I kick it old-school English-major style--I make a bullet-point outline of all content in Word, then use section headings for each "page," triple-spacing between content that will be on separate pages. When I'm ready to start making pages, then, all I have to do is make a PHP "template", copy 'n paste the content in, and YAY DONE! (Unless I have to add images in and then it's a bit more work...but whatever ^o^)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

SublimeText is the best thing ever. It does all the languages I need, multiple windows, tabbs, nice colour themes, plugins... what's more to ask?
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Man I wanna get into testing my sites on my own machine and not on the actual web, but I've never been able to get XAMPP to work :(
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

nyxmidnight wrote:Man I wanna get into testing my sites on my own machine and not on the actual web, but I've never been able to get XAMPP to work :(
Same here. Tried running XAMPP back in the day and my laptop was like "um ok what exactly is this again?" xD
AdriCULOUS wrote: Pinegrow - this is sort of like my last resort-type of tool. It's very similar to Dreamweaver but it has really good presets. You can build sites using Bootstrap, Foundation, Materialize, or your own site with very little to no code needed. You can also build your own WordPress themes here also using Bootstrap. In a way, this is also a learning tool for me, so I can better understand how WordPress themes are built. I purchased this 2-3 years ago when it was first released at MightyDeals with lifetime free upgrades for only $24. Too bad MightyDeals doesn't have that deal anymore, as Pinegrow already set up their pricing model in their main site.
OH WOW. This sounds amazing!!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Oooooooooooooo... I do use Skype. That explains it!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

AdriCULOUS wrote:
nyxmidnight wrote:Man I wanna get into testing my sites on my own machine and not on the actual web, but I've never been able to get XAMPP to work :(
If you have Skype installed and you use it/leave it online, you'll have to sign off completely. For some weird reason, Skype is messing with Apache. I learned this tip from one of the Facebook web dev groups I belong to. I'm active on Skype but I use my Kindle or my phone for it now. This applies to all software stacks, whether be AMPPS, XAMPP, MAMP, etc.

Also, check out MightyDeals and DealFuel for some awesome tools, graphics, themes, etc. for limited bargains. It'd help a lot. They got some freebies too.
I used to have the same problem with Skype + XAMPP, but it's a very easy solution; they use the same ports. You just have to uncheck a box to get it working. See here. The same ports might affect the other services; I'm only familiar with XAMPP and WAMP personally.
tonight fate is the
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

I just got my approval over on TFL to run the fanlisting for the 'Friends' Thanksgiving-themed episodes. So, I'm working on that. I'll be going at least semi-shrine with it. ;-) I absolutely adore the Thanksgiving episodes and am excited about it.

And, as mentioned ad nauseum, I'm building an Adrien Brody shrine (it's already his fanlisting).

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant