Amassment Events Feedback & Suggestions

Amassment-sponsored challenges, marathons and activities past and present. Join in on the fun today!
Eden

Re: Amassment Events Feedback & Suggestions

Post by Eden »

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but what about something for more non-Asian cartoons, video games and tv shows, etc? I know a lot of us are anime and video game nerds, but I'd like to see more love and appreciation for tv shows, games and cartoons made in the USA or another country that isn't Japan. You don't have to be in the United States to like these things either. :) Western video games (things from Valve come to mind), tv shows (I know a lot of you watch dramas and whatnot from American tv) and cartoons (things from cartoon network/disney/etc).

I'd like to see a few shrines to indie games (since that is mostly what I play), but sadly I don't think many of you play indies.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

@Eden: This might sound silly. What's an indie game? The word "indie" always trips me up. I might have played them but I don't know.
;o; *** pew! pew!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Indipendent.

Eden, you kidding? I play plenty of indie games. :o
Most things I'm really into as of now are western media, so I'd like to see more shrines for those things, but somehow it doesn't sit well with to me to have a "no Japanese media" marathon... Is there another way to promote the making of such sites?
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Thank you, Dubs! Now for my next question. Can I have a few examples of indie games?

Maybe an animation marathon? Or Disney? Hmm, this is tough. Or a childhood memory marathon? Like you pick something you were fond of as a child, say power rangers or Disney movies or something and shrine it.

I just had an idea of a shrine I want to make! Ehehehehehehe. Thank you Dubs!
;o; *** pew! pew!
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

@Eden Thanks for your suggestions, I've added them to our ideas list! I also added all the wonderful ideas mentioned so far, keep it up guys!

@dubiousdisc If we don't want to impose a "country limit", the only way I can think of is to have a general marathon like we have always done, for example videogame series, and give extra coins to those participants who opt to shrine non-Japanese videogames.

@Cherri Maybe this Wikipedia page can help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_in ... developers. An animation marathon can work, we had something similar when we run our Live Action marathon a while ago. I wouldn't however add the requirement of picking only Disney-based works, I think it's better not to be too specific. Although Disney is very popular and produced a bunch of things, some people may prefer other companies so…let the shrine makers decide ;) The same thing applies to a "childhood memory marathon".
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Cherri: Maybe to narrow it down, an animated movie marathon?

I really like the childhood memory idea though. :)

Sofia: Or it could be some sort of shrine exchange students. If the majority of your stuff is for Japanese media, make a site for something that's not Japanese. I don't know, it's just that the NO JAPAN marathon sounds...mean xD
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

To chime in on the "Non Japanese" topic: There are a lot of ways we could do something that wouldn't sound [or feel] so exclusive. Maybe we focus on having marathons that are network-centric? (Example: Cartoon Network or BBC) Or maybe we have a marathon that focuses on "Western Entertainment"? (See Idiot Box - Barbara's directory for Western TV/Films.)

We did have a live-action marathon that was really cool. It's be nice to see a re-run of that, since it would tie in to your suggestion, Eden.
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

@dubiousdisc Yes saying "no Japanese" sounds a bit bad, but we can...change the perspective so to speak :P I like Destinie's suggestion and I think it can work just fine, without having to resort to coin bonuses or other weird things as I thought.

Regarding the animation marathon instead, I think we can keep it quite general as we did with the Live Action marathon where participants could choose between pairings, characters, series.

@Destinie It would be nice to run the Live Action marathon again, I think we had only 5 submissions in the end because a few participants had to drop out. I took a look at the original post and it was actually specified to pick subjects from English-language works (films, live-action, and so on) so it shouldn't be a problem to use a Western series requirement next time we run it.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

@Sofia: Sorry I'm on a Disney kick and it slipped in there. But yeah it's too specific. And I just listed some things from my childhood as an example for the childhood memory one. And thank you for the link, it helped out a lot and I've actually played some indie game but I didn't realize it.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

I'm glad I was able to help! When Eden mentioned indie games I wanted to check if I had played any of those so the list was useful.

I think animation and childhood memories are perfectly fine as marathon subjects, we may need to define some details later on, but aside from that they can be…approved LOL XD