Gifted

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Gifted

Post by Robin »

Gifted, an unusual shrine to Elsa from Frozen

YAY! It's online! And 17 days ahead of schedule! :O craziness!

I appreciate any and all feedback on this shrine--especially let me know if the content is too jargon-y, or if the layout/text formatting makes it hard to read. I really liked creating its content and hope that I executed it well ^_^;
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Re: Gifted

Post by Megan »

Honestly, this is amazing. I never really thought I'd see a site like this... but it blew me away! Sometimes it's hard for me to read through a site all at once, but I sat here and read everything. I like how you incorporated your own person stories and how working together in the end is better than isolating a child. That is so true... I just, loved it! I also think they layout is very nice. I like the use of her as a child and an adult. I also like how you have a page dedicated to what they should have done to help Elsa learn to control her powers and love herself. Awesome job! It is an unusual site, but its things like this that show how creative we can all truly be. Awesome job! <3
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I really enjoyed this site. Reading through it reminded me of some of the experiences both my sister and I went through school as neither of us fit the "norm". She was very much like Alan and I was really quiet, never participating in discussions. I remember Mom mentioning both my sister and I surprising my teacher during a parent teacher interview because we were playing and laughing. xD

Although most teachers continued to treat my sister and I like we had ADHD (which I'm still not sure if either of us really had/have) I remember my Art teacher working with my interests. She knew I loved anime and so she let me use anime in all my projects. She even bought a How to Draw Anime book that I could use pictures from. My favorite was a charcoal drawing I did. She was the only teacher who ever did that. Most treated me like I was some sort of idiot or something.

But yes, enough of that. I really like what you did with Elsa. It was a fun read and I loved your take on it. <3
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Megan: Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked the shrine's composition and the way I approached the subject matter. I'm definitely going to do more shrines in this style (taking a familiar subject, like a character, and focusing in on a specific interesting aspect). :D

@Crystal: I agree that public schools can sometimes be wastelands when it comes to proper student support--the whole "teach to the test" push is sooooo ridiculous and it just lets kids fall through the educational cracks, especially if the school isn't funded enough to have special needs support. I'm glad that you had an awesome art teacher who allowed you to use your natural interests; what a great teacher, and a great memory. :) I'm happy that my site reminded you of it :)
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

They really can be. That's probably why I never graduated high school (also probably my unwillingness to ask for help whenever I got stuck on something). I still have that picture I did but I'm worried it has been ruined by dust. It was awesome though. I did a charcoal drawing with an anime girl. My teacher loved it.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

This shrine is nothing short of magnificent. It's well-researched, compelling to read, and a real breath of originality.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal: I hope you can find it and that it hasn't been ruined :/ I've got a couple old drawings from high school art class that magically survived in the dusty clutter cave I call my room, though, so there might still be hope! :D

(And I hear ya about not graduating...it sucks when a school is so focused on scores that they forget to care about their students. :/)

@Nyx: Wow, thank you!! I am very flattered ^o^ Very glad you like the focus and research on the site--I had to dig into some of my masters' degree schoolwork to make sure I wasn't writing complete bunk on the "What Elsa Needed" page. It was a neat trip down memory lane! :D
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Oh I still have it. It was just sitting on top of a wardrobe face up for a long time so it's really dusty. Not sure how to remove it without wrecking the picture. I still have a bunch of pictures I did back in school. One of them I have hanging in my room. xD

It really is. I'm hoping to be able to go back to school soon so I can finish but it's just figuring out how to do and no one to help me with it that is holding me back.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Ha! I wish my master's thesis was as useful.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal: Yeah, going back for a GED can be really tough--one of my high school acquaintances is having to do it now. I think there's some online help available (found this site, for instance), but actual in-person support varies so much region to region. :/ I hope you can find some awesome folks in your area to help! :)

@Nyx: LOL, I know, right?? I never expected to be using my masters' coursework ever again, especially after I dropped out of teaching. But I've been randomly using the education research and training in various weird ways. (Making a shrine with heavy educational components is probably the weirdest, though xD)
withinmyworld.org