Winds of Change: Final Fantasy XII

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Larissa
Time Traveler

Winds of Change: Final Fantasy XII

Post by Larissa »

Holy bleep it's finally done.

So this is the site that ate my life. I put it off for a couple years because I knew it was going to be a massive undertaking and SURE ENOUGH..... I started it back in December and aside from a few weeks here and there when I was sick I've been working on it ever since. Thanks to everyone on twitter who put up with me talking about it nonstop, sob.

The site is responsive and should work on whatever computer/phone screen you have; please let me know if you encounter any bugs. Images are for the most part disabled on small screens to help with readability and loading. Huge shoutout to nyx and dubiousdisc for helping me wrangle my code and get everything working responsively. I would not have been able to get it working without either of their help.

As noted on the site the cast section is full of spoilers but the other sections are pretty spoiler-light, if you haven't played the game. I'm totally open to feedback if you have any, especially as it relates to making things more user-friendly since this site is a GIANT WALL OF TEXT. Also open to feedback from anyone who braves reading said walls of text, haha.

Also if anything is broken/etc tell me, I think I got everything but I probably missed something somewhere.

I THINK THAT'S IT.... I'm so glad to be done. I'm really happy with how it came out but also: this site ate my life.
Last edited by Larissa on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonight fate is the
Todd

Re: Winds of Change: Final Fantasy XII

Post by Todd »

I can't wait to see it! I'm getting a 403 error, though. :/
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

My server conveniently went down right after I posted this. THANKS HOSTING. It's working for me now, but if it's still down for you just try back later, my outages are usually brief.

Edit: Fixed! Aside from the hosting outage I had an error (unsurprisingly, I screwed up my .htaccess file). Everything should be fine now; let me know if it isn't.
tonight fate is the
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Ahh, I have been watching your progress on Twitter, and I'm super happy to see this complete!! I can't wait to read through it all. FFXII is my favourite Final Fantasy game. I love how much detail, thought, and organization went into this. You did such a good job, and I love the layout so much!!

I did notice something on the Primer page though! I don't know if it's my PC or not, but the section's didn't line up at one point: http://gyazo.com/8ebacef6930d69447f7664d1bb5e3255
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

:heart: Thank you, Tara! It was a long process but I'm so happy with the result. Hopefully you enjoy the content! I tried to make the organization as straightforward as possible.

Regarding the error, I have two debugging questions:
1) Did it only happen while the page was loading? It looks like this might be the case from the screencap, and if it is, the box would have pushed down once the other images loaded. Since everything floats but also requires images to align properly it can look a little odd while loading.

2) But! If everything did load and it still got out of place, then I need to do some fixing. What's your screen resolution?

Thank you for letting me know! I did all I could to test everything but am still pretty limited in my options so I fully expect people to find things I missed. I did a lot of things with this site that I don't normally!
tonight fate is the
Todd

Post by Todd »

I'm having the same issue as Tara on the Primer page. The boxes aren't lining up. It stayed that way after the images all loaded.

(Need to finish reading the shrine before I properly comment, but it looks gorgeous!)
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

... This is the part where I remember I never tested those pages in Firefox. I was trying to duplicate it in Chrome this morning and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Open it in Firefox and bam, there it is.

Should be fixed. Thank you both!
tonight fate is the
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

WOW? ? ? ? ?? IM IN LOVE??? ??? ? ?

I can't forgive myself for never having finished FFXII. I remember playing it when it was released and thinking "wow this game is so boring i don't care about all this politics i want black mages back blah blah blah". I was so stupid. And now my PS2 doesn't work anymore and I can't play it unless I get it from PSN.

This shrine is huge, ambitious and incredible -- specially considering you're also building a FFXIII site -- and I'm loving every bit of it. I went through a couple of sections of it, trying to avoid endgame spoilers, and everything looks great to me. The "upcoming sections" page also made me smile because it's good to know something so awesome is about to get even better :content:

Congratulations and thank you! :heart:
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

OOohhHhHH my god you did it

you already know how I feel about this site and I'll have to delve deeper in the rabbit hole and all that, but for the meanwhile: CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING IT OUT. WOW. WHAT A MONSTER OF A SITE.

And now go get YOUR LIFE BACK
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

MY GOD!! WHAT A MASTERPIECE!!

Seriously, the layout is fantastic, the site is stuffed full of unique information and media (loved the "FFXII = Star Wars" article!), and it's organized so well it doesn't ever feel overwhelming. This took a lot of time and love, and it shows.
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org