Chasseresse - Nyreen Kandros (Mass Effect)

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Laura

Chasseresse - Nyreen Kandros (Mass Effect)

Post by Laura »

Here's another shrine by me! :D This time, it's for Nyreen from Mass Effect. <3 Nyreen is one of my favourite characters in the series and I'm glad to finally get this site up off the ground! Most of the content was written 2 years ago so it's been a long time waiting!

I've yet to write up an introduction to Mass Effect for those who are unfamiliar and there's a few more sections I want to add but the majority of the site is up and running and I hope it's enjoyable to everyone. I'm a little worried the writing doesn't reflect my current style but I'm sure I'm being harsh on myself. XD
Anise

Re: Chasseresse - Nyreen Kandros (Mass Effect)

Post by Anise »

Woah! First, I love the layout. I've never played Mass Effect but I feel like I was able to get a good understanding of Nyreen even though I'm not as familiar with the game as a whole. I can't think of any parts that specifically stood out as unclear after reading it so I feel like you did a great job of making the site accessible to everyone. I especially liked your description of her abilities and your icons were gorgeous. It's a wonderful shrine and really the only think I would want to see more of is your thoughts and opinions on Nyreen. Great job!
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thanks, Anise!! :D I think I'll definitely go back and add some more of my own opinions throughout the content then! I'm glad that you both liked the layout/icons and felt the content was easy to follow. Hopefully it'll be even easier after I add a section describing the overall setting and plot of Mass Effect. XD

I feel like it's a bit of a small shrine, mostly because Nyreen only appears in one DLC. She has a short time with us but she's just so interesting. <3 Maybe I can do some wallpapers in the future too. Eeee!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Excellent work! You do a great job of telling us Nyreen's story through the various pages. Starting off the shrine with a glossary is a neat way to begin, and helps give a few foundational points. I'm really looking forward also to that intro page for Mass Effect as a whole--I think that will be super interesting because you can also weave in what drew you to Nyreen's character :)

The layout's color scheme is well done, and that header is awesome! The only thing is that on my screen, the height of the header image forces me to re-scroll fully down to see the content every time I click to go to a new page, which gets a bit annoying after a while. But the image is so beautifully done that I wouldn't want it to be resized just for that reason ^_^;

I think the best thing about this shrine so far is that even though Nyreen is a minor character, you make her feel like a major character :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thanks, Robin! :)

My original intent was to start the shrine off with a summary of Mass Effect AND a glossary, like I do for all my shrines, but it wasn't until I put all the other content together that I realised I had forgotten to write it. XD; It's about half done now, hopefully I can get it up in a few days.

Thanks for your complements about the layout! I was worried that maybe the content did start a little too low on the page layout but your comments made me actually do something about it, lol! Everything below the header's moved up by about 100px. I really didn't like the amount of white space between the content and the header graphic. >.< I'm not sure what resolution you're using but hopefully it'll be easier to navigate for you now too!
Robin wrote:I think the best thing about this shrine so far is that even though Nyreen is a minor character, you make her feel like a major character :)
I can't take credit for that! XD That's all the talented writers at Bioware. <3 Nyreen was just such a rich character with such a great story that it's hard to believe she was only in one DLC (though that DLC was a couple hours long at least). I still feel the shrine is a little on the small side but hopefully the additions I wanna make to it will make me feel satisfied with its size. <3
Laura

Post by Laura »

Just a quick update; I've added a general series introduction page and cleaned up some of the writing to make it a bit more coherent. :)
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I don't know anymore what all I've talked about in the chat while you were still working on this, but I thought I'd leave you a visitor's comment too. :music:

I really like the placement of the headings in this one aaaah the red smudge!! XD /rolls around in pretty red shades

What I like most about this shrine is getting to know not just about Nyreen, but also Aria and the relationship they share, past and present!

Omega's Talons, The Pirate Queen, and Ajutants are such strong pages! The different sections of your recent works I've read really blend into each other and make visiting your shrines an adventure; the visitor moves back and forward on the timeline while piecing together the events through thematic overviews. I love emerging from your shrines with the full picture. <3
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Aw, thank you Lethe! It's always nice to have comments like this, means a lot! :)

You really flatter me in saying my shrine is a bit like an adventure! *_* I never thought of it that way but I suppose I do try to move through their life and events thematically... neat. XD I think this site is unique in that it does focus a lot on Aria as well. I don't think you can have Nyreen without her, Aria's influence on her is so great. I actually was really tempted to create an Aria shrine as well after working on this initially. It's on my to-do list, so maybe in the future I'll get around to it.

Thanks again! <3
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Ah, I thought commented on this previously, but I must have missed it! I apologize for the late comment!

First impression was great though. I admire the layout a lot. The color scheme is great, and I really love the enlarged first letter. The whole thing leaves a very novel-like impression! It's great! I really like how you've written about the game, the glossary is awesome, and I love the focus on Nyreen and Aria. Also the iconsssss. As someone not familiar with the character or game (really, I should be though), it was easy to follow and really enjoyable.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Aw, thank you Megan!! :) A late comment is always welcome, it's nice to see new feedback! ^_^ I'm really glad you enjoyed visiting the site. I love Mass Effect so much and the Omega DLC was one of the last additions to the original trilogy to come out... I had always wanted to know what a female turian would look like so I was really thrilled that they finally decided to reveal one. :D She isn't in the game for too long so it was a bit easier to make a shrine for her than one of the major characters (though I'd still love to eventually make a shrine to Garrus one day). <3

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment, it's appreciated!! <3