Ephemera

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Ephemera

Post by Robin »

e p h e m e r a
an unusual Clefairy site
My first official project of 2017 is complete! What was once "Elusive Enchanter" has been reborn and completely overhauled as Ephemera, a much better fansite for my favorite little Pokemon. The site now features:
  • All-new seven-part info section about Clefairy in the anime & games
  • Expanded mythology articles
  • Larger poetry section, with five original poems inspired by Clefairy
  • Expanded music article and broadened song selection (each song has its own page now)
  • Images to enhance and illustrate content
  • Completely redesigned layout, including two tricks I've never tried before: a shimmery text effect in the top bar (thanks to Masao for helping me debug!!) and a partially-transparent cloud image floating atop the layout.
Check it out and let me know what you think!

(I am also still trying to make the shimmer text effect work in IE, to no avail--I have tried some fallback styles but I don't think I'm doing them right. Any advice is greatly appreciated, as always!)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Re: Ephemera

Post by Crystal »

Ahhh Robin this is so cute! ;-;
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

I really like the layout! It's very pretty but very minimal, allows the text to really shine. I really enjoyed reading your mythology section. The poetry (especially the ones you've written) and music sections are really wonderful inclusions especially because you associate this Pokemon to many beautiful concepts. Also the cute Clefairy images throughout the text, how adorable!
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

The layout is so lovely and magical. I love the floating cloud effect.

Congrats on finishing the revamp! You've made such a personal tribute - I second what Megan said about the poetry and the music pages. Such a great inclusion. Also, the time you spent getting those screenshots was worth it! The personality page is so cute.
a spoony bard
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal: Thank you!! :D :D

@Megan A: YAY I'm glad none of the layout pieces interfere with the text--that was my main goal <3 And thank you for all the compliments on the content! I couldn't figure out what to do with this site for the longest time, but it was because I was unsure of how personal to get and how in-depth I wanted to go with it. Once I figured that out, BOOM all these pretty and cool things began to happen <3

@Emma: Thank you!! <3<3 The personality page quickly became one of my favorites while revamping--I started out not knowing what to do with it but I'm glad I went really picture-heavy on it. Clefairy is tooooooo adorbsssssss <3<3<3<3<3<3
withinmyworld.org
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

I really like the layout too!! I love how the text shines at the top, it's cute! :> The font you used is also really nice and easy on the eyes.

Echoing what everyone else said, the mythology and poetry pages were very interesting to read. I especially enjoyed reading about moon mythology! I love all the content you've added, you can definitely see your love for Clefairy littered in all the pages. Congrats on finishing!!
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Aku

Post by Aku »

HI ROBIN OMG i'M SO EXCITED, CLEFAIRY IS MY FAV!!! :sob: :sob: :sob:

The new layout is really nice and has an air of mystery to it, which I love! I like that it doesn't necessarily scream Clefairy, but gives more of a subtle/elegant nod to the Pokemon with the moon and the night sky. :blush: You've done a great job covering Clefairy and all her appearances (even outside of the anime/main games... the mini game from stadium is ONE OF MY FAVS!!), and the mythology/poetry sections are such a nice touch! Thought it was really clever that you touched on the female symbolism of the moon + Clefairy's breeding percentage, what a cute connection to make! :sob: I'd never thought about it, myself.

This is a really beautiful & sweet tribute to an adorable smol bean! :heart: I love all the things you've collected and the way that you've put it together, it all feels very ethereal! Awesome work on the revamp! :yay:
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Tara wrote:I really like the layout too!! I love how the text shines at the top, it's cute! :> The font you used is also really nice and easy on the eyes.

Echoing what everyone else said, the mythology and poetry pages were very interesting to read. I especially enjoyed reading about moon mythology! I love all the content you've added, you can definitely see your love for Clefairy littered in all the pages. Congrats on finishing!!
EEE Thank you <3<3 the moon mythology page was really fun to research for! (and yay for easily readable fonts!)
Aku wrote:HI ROBIN OMG i'M SO EXCITED, CLEFAIRY IS MY FAV!!! :sob: :sob: :sob:

The new layout is really nice and has an air of mystery to it, which I love! I like that it doesn't necessarily scream Clefairy, but gives more of a subtle/elegant nod to the Pokemon with the moon and the night sky. :blush: You've done a great job covering Clefairy and all her appearances (even outside of the anime/main games... the mini game from stadium is ONE OF MY FAVS!!), and the mythology/poetry sections are such a nice touch! Thought it was really clever that you touched on the female symbolism of the moon + Clefairy's breeding percentage, what a cute connection to make! :sob: I'd never thought about it, myself.

This is a really beautiful & sweet tribute to an adorable smol bean! :heart: I love all the things you've collected and the way that you've put it together, it all feels very ethereal! Awesome work on the revamp! :yay:
YASSSS FELLOW CLEFAIRY FAN *high-fives* I am so glad you love the content and the organization and everything! :D :D :D

And YAY for mysterious ethereal layout <3<3<3 I'm glad that feeling comes across! I struggled for a long time trying to make a layout that was "Clefairy" without being overly Pepto-Bismol pink or cartoony, and finally I was just like "screw it, I'm using a big fat crescent moon and clouds and night sky colors because I DO WHAT I WANT >:D ". Surprisingly that feeling helped me create this layout faster somehow...maybe I should get irritated at design theory more often, LOL

I'm super glad I went back and did this revamp now--I wasn't sure at the outset if I could make anything better than what I had up already, but adding the detailed content really helped. I keep going back to this site thinking "holy crap I mADE THIS??!?1?" <3
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I love the updates, Robin! I love how you expanded on the mythology and talking about Fairies. That is so fun to read! I love the new name as well! :))
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

That shimmering effect is just wow. What a nice touch!
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone