Dissonant: Gabranth (FFXII)

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Fiona

Dissonant: Gabranth (FFXII)

Post by Fiona »

You have no idea how glad I am to finally get this shrine to the level where I can put it up without wincing at it too much. lol. -_-

When I first opened this shrine in 2008 it had about 5-6 pages plus a gallery. This time around, I only kept very little of the content I had from back then, and I trashed the gallery section (I have a thing for not having a gallery nowadays...) I still wouldn't call this shrine "finished", but my brain really needs to take a break from writing for it and I think it's at a level where I'm okay with opening it again.

Anyway, I am always grateful for anyone who visit/go through my sites. Thank you! <3
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."
Todd

Re: Dissonant: Gabranth (FFXII)

Post by Todd »

Congrats on getting this up, Fiona! Final Fantasy XII is one of the Final Fantasy games I have not yet played but would like to, so I don't want to spoil myself too much. As a new fan, or I guess non-fan since I haven't played the game yet, I was able to really enjoy your site via the Intro and Surface sections! Everything is really well written, and really well explained. I read on your Site page that you're conscientious about your English grammar and writing abilities, but you shouldn't be! Your site reads fine. :)

I understand feeling burnt out by a project and needing to take a break or get away from it. My last shrine sat on my desktop for like a year before I had the motivation to go back to it. You should feel proud for what you did get up, and visitors will be able to look forward to updates later!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

OH MAN, I'm so excited you got this done! I've been looking forward to this site ever since you mentioned it :heart: Gabranth is a character I've always found really interesting, and I've always wanted to see a site specifically for him. (I think I may have visited your original site for him once or twice, but it was so long ago that I can't quite remember, haha.)

Anyway! There is so much information here, including a bunch of stuff I didn't know, which was a real treat considering what a nerd I am for this game, haha. I think my favorite page on the whole site is the Etymology page; I did not expect so much analysis and backstory on a page about a character's name, but it makes perfect sense for Gabranth. I also super love that you brought up FFTA on the Design page! :heart:

And all this Ultimania info about how the judges work is so cool. Seriously, this is the kind of thing I love in sites - all sorts of tiny little background details to further flesh out a world. It's so lovely. (A note on the "Battle Antics" page - I would consider changing the title to "Battle Tactics," as it might be more of what you're going for.) Also it is kind of hilarious to me that Gabranth uses attacks called Guilt and Innocence. Like really game. Really.

Your Depth section is also fantastic; Gabranth is easily one of the most interesting characters in the game, and you've covered a lot of what makes him so compelling in this section. I really like the Existence page in particular, and how you relate the game's overall theme to Gabranth. The bit at the Pharos is the one part of Gabranth's character arc I have some issues with, so I enjoyed reading your take on it, haha!

All in all, this is a really fantastic site and I'm so glad to see it finished! I'll be sure to link it on my FF12 site soon. :heart:
tonight fate is the
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

OOO CONGRATS CONGRATS!! You should be proud of your efforts--in my opinion, your "brain break" is very well-deserved! The site is designed so beautifully (those sub-navigation menus in each big content section <3<3<3<3<3<3<3) and it truly leads you through the content. Even as someone who doesn't know doodly squat about FFXII or Gabranth, this is an intriguing and educational read. WOOT!!!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Saya

Post by Saya »

gratz on finishint it, I am defenetly putting this on to read list

love the layout and how you structured everything XD
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Congrats on finishing this!! It's so nice to see more Final Fantasy XII shrines, especially to a complex character like Garbranth! You've reminded me I still have a lot of drafts for Basch lying around that I need to... get to...

Anyway! I really enjoyed reading through this, there's a lot of little tidbits of information that I didn't know about until reading this.

The depth section was probably my favourite. The analysis page was especially interesting to read through because it was chock full of information I didn't know about. All the information from the Scenario Ultimania was really refreshing and interesting.
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

@Todd: Thank you for your words of encouragement! I believe the HD remake of FFXII is coming out at the end of the month but I'm not too sure. Although it's not my favorite FF game, I still did enjoy it, so I hope you'll get a chance to play it eventually!

@Larissa: Thank you so much for the tip! I should have checked more thoroughly before I used the term for that section. >_< I'm always intrigued at how Square/Square-Enix name their spells/movesets in the FF series. My first FF was FF7, and I think the spells back on the PSX one was something like "Fire, Fire2, Fire3" but once FF8 rolled around, it got changed to "Fire, Fira, Firaga" and then there are also terms like Magic/Magick, Limit Breaks vs Overdrive or Quickenings or w/e else they eventually get called lol. Though I have to say I like the "-ra, -raga" system better than the number system.

@Robin/@Saya: Thank you for your kind words! <333333333

@Tara: Oooh! I would love to see a Basch shrine! <33333333 Also, thank you!
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

Fiona, you're on a roll here! I just finished reading all of your site. I have to say, I've always been starry-eyed when visiting your shrines. I swear, this site just completely blows me away!

Anyway, there's so much about this site that I find interesting! I thought it was cool that you pointed out how the seiyuu sounds much older than the character. I actually noticed that with a few of the other characters as well, so I'm relieved that I wasn't the only one :swt: But yeah, definitely enjoyed the English localization a lot more in this game.

All the extensive research and translations you've done is just so incredibly impressive. It takes a lot of hard work trying to dig for all the small details, and then coming up with a cohesive analysis. To me, that effort really shines through. There's so much content covered, considering that he's a minor (yet important!) character. I also really enjoy your writing style; I think you communicate ideas and concepts effectively well.

Thank you for the shout-out on the credits page! (And I miss Phyress :sad:) I'll definitely return the link back! :)

Congrats on a job well done! :star:
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

YES I LOVE THIS. I am so excited for the remaster! I'm not allowing myself to replay the game (and thus work on my Basch site >.>) until it comes out and I can get it and my hype levels are high and reading this just made them higher.

You have so much information I didn't know about, Fiona! All that stuff from the Ultimania is just so fascinating to read. Even the page about the voice actors is just full of interesting details. You've done so much research and the work you've put in really shows. I look forward to seeing any updates you make to this (already FAB) site.

Also love the layout, super stylish. :music:
a spoony bard
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

Yay I really like the layout and the shrine name :blush: I'm glad you were able to revisit this and revamp it to your liking, I've got a few projects like this myself (though not as likely to get fixed), so I know that feeling.

The typography and navigation are my favorite, aesthetically, and I like how you split the sections up.

Not having ever played the game myself, Gabranth was one of my favorite aspects of it, based on what I knew.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I like what his character role is meant for, and his masked persona makes him even more interesting to me.
I really enjoyed your "Analysis" and "Existence" pages. :yay:
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.