Awakening: Claymore (+ add-ons)

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Lethe

Awakening: Claymore (+ add-ons)

Post by Lethe »

I made this shrine for 1P1M in 2015, and while I liked the content, I quickly started to dislike the layout and the overall presentation. Nothing new on any front was learned when making that shrine back then, and the shrine ultimately failed to have an identity of its own next to my other shrines, to the point that I didn't care about it.

Camy gifted me a very gorgeous header for Secret Santa 2016, and I decided to use it not just for the gallery (as was planned), but for the shrine revamp as well. :heart: For this revamp, I edited some text and included new snippets, added 40 images across the shrine to showcase Claymore's art and designs, and implemented a lot of things I have picked up across different shrines since 2015!

I've also never actually plugged my Claymore gallery at Amassment. I made it in November 2015, purchased and launched stormwind.org in January 2016, and finished the gallery in April. The gallery revamp accompanying the shrine's revamp has added a lot of functionality that I'm finally happy with.

I am very happy with this revamp because it's been a while since 1P1M 2015, and seeing all the things I've learned come together is very rewarding and motivating (especially because that learning experience is thanks to all the different folks here at Amassment). YAY FOR CAMY MAKING THIS POSSIBLE. <3
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Awakening: Claymore (+ add-ons)

Post by Robin »

AWESOME! I too love the big powerful header, and I can see how it inspired the rest of the design. As always, your layout's differing widths, clearly delineated content blocks, and color transitions feel like a magazine article <3

I also like that you step into academic and analytic territories concerning the themes (and problematic messages) within the manga! Lots of good mental meat to tear into there :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Saya

Post by Saya »

I am not really able to write a lot as I am not familiar with the series; but I LOVE how you did the analysis and explained all details about the series and the warriors and I was like taken for 5 minutes just circling images of the warriors cose it was fun O_____o

I love the set up of the shrine and of course I love your way of writing which is really easy to understand, or better saying it explains well the story behind the story o,,o
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

@Robin: Hehe I love it when some small part of a graphic goes on to inspire the design of the rest. <3 Thank you, Robin! :heart:

@Saya: omg Saya your comment is so CUTE. :heart: :heart: I'm glad that things are easy to understand, and most of all that you had FUN omg. ;_;
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Your new layout is so fantastic. They've always been wonderful, but it's been so great watching your designs evolve like this. ;_; The design and content complement each other so nicely here. I love the contrasting backgrounds to separate some of the text, and I love your usage of the little galleries. The images look great alongside the text, and the textures are super comforting to look at while reading.

I really love your focus on themes, discussing what they mean to you + all the characters and in the genre as a whole! That was my favorite series of sections! I also liked the section on feminism. IT WAS ALL REALLY TOUCHING, OK. I FEEL REALLY CONNECTED TO THE CHARACTERS ALREADY just by how you've written about them. :sob: :sob:

I'm interested in checking this out further, and I thought that this served as a great introduction to the series (as you know, I was afraid of spoilers before so I was avoiding it).
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

I'm not familiar with the subject.... BUT THE SET UP OF THIS SITE IS FRICKEN AWESOME!!!

I need to talk to you on how to make it so there are two different background colors and how you got those little dots to slide the information!!??? LIKE WHAT YOU ARE SO TALENTED IN MY EYES OMG!!! <3

Like always, your information length, style, and presentation always amaze me!! Awesome job!!!

PS TO CAMY - AWESOME HEADER :D
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Your layouts are always so fantastic!! :heart: I really like the design a lot, it's very pretty and easy to read. :>

I can't comment on much since I'm unfamiliar with the series, but its easy to tell you put a lot of hard work into this. The introduction was really informative!! I really enjoyed reading through the Warriors section.
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Sorry it took me a while to reply!!

@Megan A: Thank you so much qt! I'm glad I ended up including textures (thanks to Larissa) rather than leaving the background white haha... /o\ aaaah I'm happy you decided to read this shrine and that you liked the feminism section too. ;_; <3 <3

Whenever you get around to checking out Claymore, make sure to spam emily and me. <O><O>

@Megan K: omg Megan I was totally thinking of you while giving this shrine an overhaul, because I KNOW you're the resident gallery enthusiast here!! XD Thank you for the enthusiastic comment!

Samantha has asked me about the backgrounds and I explained it to her with the code on my In Another Dream shrine, but I actually made it easier for this shrine, so if you guys want to give it a try in a future project, please hit me up and I will gladly explain it! <3 <3 <3

For the information slides, dubiousdisc passed me slick, the carousel script! If you decide to use it and run into trouble with the setup (some of these scripts don't include all the information needed for noobs to implement them on their sites ;_;), give me a poke. :D

@Tara: Thank you, Tara! <3 I'm glad the Warriors section is enjoyable even with how much information is conveyed! <3 I luv your layouts too. <O><O>