What's your fallback layout style?

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Mikari

Re: What's your fallback layout style?

Post by Mikari »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:
Mikari wrote:For me it's either a picture on top and the content under it, or a picture on the left and the content on the right. I use divs too. I usually put the navigation on the picture or on the main page depending on how many sections and subsections there are.
Cool! Yeah, I usually do "picture left, content right" if I'm going to do a side picture layout--reversing it just feels really weird for some reason. :)
I actually reversed it once just to make something different XD
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Mikari wrote:
CuriousLittleBird wrote:
Mikari wrote:For me it's either a picture on top and the content under it, or a picture on the left and the content on the right. I use divs too. I usually put the navigation on the picture or on the main page depending on how many sections and subsections there are.
Cool! Yeah, I usually do "picture left, content right" if I'm going to do a side picture layout--reversing it just feels really weird for some reason. :)
I actually reversed it once just to make something different XD
Awesome! Innovation FTW :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I generally do a single column design. Navigation at the top, header image, then content. It makes it easy to read lots of text that way.

I want to try a different style for a new site I'm working on but having a hard time coming up with a design. :S
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I've actually wanted to try a small vertical menu on the side of a layout that scrolls with the reader...the last time I attempted it, though, I had issues with various window widths playing heck with it, which I haven't figured out how to fix. Maybe something like that would be a neat change-up?
withinmyworld.org
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

My fallback style is the two-row one, with the header image on top and content beneath that. This site is an example of what I'm talking about. Lately I've been lucky and haven't had to rely on that too much anymore. It's not that I dislike that style; I really do enjoy it. But I got to overusing it, and I know several others use(d) it too.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:I've actually wanted to try a small vertical menu on the side of a layout that scrolls with the reader...the last time I attempted it, though, I had issues with various window widths playing heck with it, which I haven't figured out how to fix. Maybe something like that would be a neat change-up?
It works at any size if you use percentage widths instead of pixel widths. For small widths that would break the layout too much, you can use min-width to force a minimum width on your columns, or @media screen and (max-width: 400px) {...} to radically change your layout at small resolutions.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Sarah wrote:My fallback style is the two-row one, with the header image on top and content beneath that. This site is an example of what I'm talking about. Lately I've been lucky and haven't had to rely on that too much anymore. It's not that I dislike that style; I really do enjoy it. But I got to overusing it, and I know several others use(d) it too.
Ah, cool! I like how tidy that looks :D
dubiousdisc wrote:
CuriousLittleBird wrote:I've actually wanted to try a small vertical menu on the side of a layout that scrolls with the reader...the last time I attempted it, though, I had issues with various window widths playing heck with it, which I haven't figured out how to fix. Maybe something like that would be a neat change-up?
It works at any size if you use percentage widths instead of pixel widths. For small widths that would break the layout too much, you can use min-width to force a minimum width on your columns, or @media screen and (max-width: 400px) {...} to radically change your layout at small resolutions.
Y'know, I've actually never messed much with percentages (darn math getting in the way of my passions, lol). That's an idea! My main issue with that design was seeing the "legend" menu overlap the content when the window got too small, so I'll try and see if changing the layout widths to percentages will work ^_^ Thank you DD!
withinmyworld.org
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Robin wrote:
I'm with you there! I have to either have images on either side, up top, or just on the left. An image to the right of content makes me twitch (on my own sites, I mean). ha ha.

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant