Matching or Themed Layouts

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Todd

Matching or Themed Layouts

Post by Todd »

Have you guys ever made matching layouts for two or more of your sites, or tried to theme them with design in some way? I love doing this.

Most recently, my collective and fanlistings collective are themed Console Wars. Nightbringer is Sega. Shimmer is NES.

To theme them, I used nearly identical CSS (replacing only colors for the most part). Even though it may not look like it, I made the graphical part of the layout with different textures and filters. Only a couple textures are consistent to keep the layouts matching.
Crystal

Re: Matching or Themed Layouts

Post by Crystal »

I haven't really ever thought about it but I am tempted to try it for Lucina and Chrom...somehow. xD Still, it sounds like a really fun idea.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Saya

Post by Saya »

I have matching layouts for my two shrines: Easter Kangoroo and Special Snowflake. - both are exactly matching having same css just different in colors, even the graphics is done the way so they match XD
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I try to have matching headers and footers for my one pagers.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Both look awesome Todd!

I haven't really tried that before, at least not that I recall. I suppose there's a fanart theme going on through all my sites and some have similar styles, but that's just due to my style of design rather than a theme.
Todd

Post by Todd »

@Saya - Those look awesome! That's exactly what I'm talking about. :)

@Mikari - Thank you, Mikari!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I did matching layout styles for six of my sites (kinda went overboard LOL):

WithinMyWorld.org Links (which I just realized I forgot to link on the current layout D:)
Robin's Favorite Video Games
A Little British TV Shows Fansite
College Knowledge
Robin's Webdesign Help
Disguises (layout archive)

I went with the same "fixed left sidebar, scrolling right column" layout design and just changed the sidebar colors, text colors, etc. for each site. I like how it turned out, but I may not keep this style of layout for ALL of the sites...still thinking on that. It works great for my links site, college knowledge, layout archive, etc., but the two "one-page shrines" sites may need a revamp. xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Saya

Post by Saya »

I am now kind of doing "matching" layouts for my AC Series shrine, as I am crazy enough to make a layout per series LOL. The only thing that will change in them will be the header and the colors, but the structure and the css will be the same <o<
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Not really, I admire those who can do it, but I want to make so many different things and I'd feel too bad about "wasting" a chance to have a different layout, heh. And actually, if I have sites about subjects that are related one to the other, I try to make the layouts as different as possible because the subjects are already similar anyway, so some of the written content might be a bit repeated (see my Quake 3 sites).
Todd

Post by Todd »

dubiousdisc wrote:Not really, I admire those who can do it, but I want to make so many different things and I'd feel too bad about "wasting" a chance to have a different layout, heh. And actually, if I have sites about subjects that are related one to the other, I try to make the layouts as different as possible because the subjects are already similar anyway, so some of the written content might be a bit repeated (see my Quake 3 sites).
I can actually understand that. When I do it, it's generally for a purpose. For example, I want my collective and fanlistings collective to run seamlessly. Although they are divided and separated for organizational purposes, I like how it feels like one big network since they have the matching, themed looks. I'll probably do this for these sites' lifetime. When I change one layout, I'll change both, and have similar looks to run the two collectives together.