Content Fonts

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.

Serif vs Sans Serif?

Serif
25%
Sans Serif
75%

Total votes: 12

Chibi

Re: Content Fonts

Post by Chibi »

Oh boy, I can't choose!

Like everyone else, I've heard sans-serif is better for content, but for me, it depends heavily on the layout and the "feeling" of the website: if the website is supposed to read like a book, is elegant and feels "old-fashioned", I'd appreciate a serif font because it goes well with the general theme of the website (case in point: Dubs' Egyptian Vulture website); if the website is going for a different and more "modern" theme, then I'd prefer sans-serif.

In general, though, sans-serif seems to be the safest choice for content. :)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Chibi wrote: Like everyone else, I've heard sans-serif is better for content, but for me, it depends heavily on the layout and the "feeling" of the website: if the website is supposed to read like a book, is elegant and feels "old-fashioned", I'd appreciate a serif font because it goes well with the general theme of the website (case in point: Dubs' Egyptian Vulture website); if the website is going for a different and more "modern" theme, then I'd prefer sans-serif.
I agree with this too :D I usually try to match the aesthetic of the font with the aesthetic of the layout when possible :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Lysianthus

Post by Lysianthus »

I don't have a sans-serif/serif rule when it comes to typography, but I notice that I do use sans-serif for body copy most of the time. I tend to use serif, cursive, or display fonts for headings, too. However, for me, it also really depends on the general feel of the design. (However, I do agree that sans-serif looks best for smaller font sizes.) For example, if I feel a website is text-heavy and the design is more content-based (the content being text), I would use a serif font. In the end, it really depends on how a website should "feel" like and if the fonts used in the layout fits the "mood".

I don't have a rule, but the only rule I have regarding fonts is the content font size should be 16px (1em) or greater. I broke my vision because of poor font size choice. :ack:
Affelius (creative) ☆ Asclaria (network) ☆ Lysianthus (personal)
isavarg

Post by isavarg »

I only use what I term 'fancy fonts' for headers, and links. For main blocks of text, I tend to use Arial, Tahoma, Trebuchet MS and Verdana for the main body of text. (There are probably others which are similar which I sometimes use, but these are the ones off the top of my head.) What I don't like are font sizes below 12px because I find these make me squint a lot and I can't read them properly, and I assume that other people have the same problem, BUT it always seems to be a popular choice among layout designers to use smaller font sizes. I also find there's a tendency for people to use light coloured backgrounds and I find these hurt my eyes if I look at them for too long. I need contrast on a page and the whiteness needs breaking up with colour.

My rule of thumb is therefore:

Headers and Links need to stand out on the page, so you can do fancy things with those, but the font chosen still needs to be readable.

Fonts used for the main text should be easily read on a screen, a reasonable size and stand out against the background so that people aren't squinting.

The background needs to be a reasonable brightness so that it's not a strain on the eyes to look at for long periods.
Laura

Post by Laura »

I can't vote because I can't choose between them. I think it's important to use a font that's legible but also goes well with the theme of your site. Sans serif fonts are supposed to be easier to read on screens but I've been reading books on my iPad Pro with serif fonts without any issue.

Larissa made the best point: it's more the size that matters than the specific choice. Doesn't matter if you use a sans serif font if it's way too small. :)
melzillah

Post by melzillah »

I like to use sans-serif for the main body and serif for headers (usually). But sometimes I'll swap or use sans-serif for both (and vice versa). It really just depends on the "look" you're going for I think :) I just try to keep spacing in mind as well as text size so that it's readable no matter which font I use.
isavarg

Post by isavarg »

I always go for sans-serif fonts like ariel, tahoma, verdana, etc because I find these easiest to read on a screen. I find it very difficult to concentrate on serif scripts, especially when people make the fonts very tiny.

I do find, however, that serif fonts are good for titles and add a bit of elegance to a design, but it depends on what the site is for. I do have a tendency to bold and/or capitalize links as it makes them stand out - sometimes, I use serif fonts for links, too, but it depends on the subject of the site. If it's a fantasy or historical fiction site, then I'd use them.