Do you have any fonts to suggest for smaller graphics?

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
neo

Do you have any fonts to suggest for smaller graphics?

Post by neo »

Hi~! I mostly lurk around the forums instead of contributing (apologies for that ;;).

I would like to reach out to the Amassment community in an attempt to share and gain insight on how you approach a smaller canvas.

And, my overlord made me do this.

The smaller-sizes in question are:
  • 88x31
  • 50x50, 75x50
  • 100x50
  • 100x100
  • 200x40 (Although this is still a decent size to use multiple fonts on, it can still be tricky.)
  • Any other sizes I may be missing at this moment
Pixel and/or bitmap fonts seem like the gold standard for linking buttons and smaller graphics. They are legible and compact - honestly, what else would fit on something like 88x15?? But, recently I realized I was making them (linking buttons) because they are supposed to be there without any regard for their design. I want them to be attractive and as legible as possible; I was thinking that branching out may do the trick.

Here are some that I think I have or have had success with:
(please ignore the style some of these as they were just made for this post)

Pixel/Bitmap fonts like Wendy and Ernest Image Image Some regular fonts like Century Gothic or even Adobe Gothic Std are workable: Image Image The only other fonts I have liked so far are Cocogoose, Arthus Hightone, and Wolf in the City: Image Image Image Once, Nekoi Echizen told me that they use a mixture of Violation and Wendy for FLs like the ones below: Image & Image and then just mixing up any of the above for a different look: Image Image Image

But...I still feel particularly inundated with my installed fonts and restricted due to such a small size.

Do amassment members have any suggestions?

~
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Do you have any fonts to suggest for smaller graphics?

Post by Robin »

I discovered a font called Chixat 8 a few years ago--it's a rare lowercase bitmap font, so it has a softer look than Ernest but looks good at the same sizes.

Other than that addition, your rec's are spot on (and there are some fonts I hadn't even thought about using on buttons)!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I need to start using some of these! Ernest and Wendy are my favs and I think I don't have them right now. I have some small, bitmap fonts that I am not in love with. Time for an upgrade.
neo

Post by neo »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:I discovered a font called Chixat 8 a few years ago--it's a rare lowercase bitmap font, so it has a softer look than Ernest but looks good at the same sizes.

Other than that addition, your rec's are spot on (and there are some fonts I hadn't even thought about using on buttons)!
Ah, thank you for sharing! That's a really interesting bitmap /insta-download

@Destinie Yeah, it seems like I have always liked those two.
Anise

Post by Anise »

I usually do pretty much the equivalent of Ernest but I actually just draw it by hand because I forgot the name of the font when I switched computers at some point. I'm probably going to download it now.

The font I abuse most in everything including buttons is Ostrich Sans.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I mainly use 04b24 for my buttons, but I'm slowly attempting to branch out and not use pixel fonts. It's just really hard to get them to look nice though. :/
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
neo

Post by neo »

@Anise, Oh, I like that! I also like how you lay "esperits" over "org"! :D:D

@Crystal, I forgot about that 04b24 font ~~!

Thanks guys!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I got bored with the fonts I used too. XD This reminds me that I should get around to pixel my own. Oh the holidays and their lack of free time. D: Next year for sure!

Overall outlines work best to bring out the font since otherwise it'll blend into the background.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Used Adorable just now and it turned out well. ~

Maybe I'll just post in this topic spontaneously whenever I manage to make a button that doesn't suck LOL because I sure don't keep a personal file with good font choices.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

I know this probably isn't incredibly helpful, but since I thrive on making buttons without using pixel fonts (LOL) feel free to ask me what font I use on any of my buttons across my networks (some older ones I might not have but I'll try to remember). :O

I don't really have "usuals" for 88x31 because it really depends on the length of the title for me, but I use Watermelon a lot on FL codes bigger than 50x50 (l like it better than violation) as well as Bebas Neue because they look pretty decent smaller. Examples (see the 100x50 for Watermelon and 75x50 for Bebas): Watermelon & Bebas Neue. Hope that helps!