Exciting ways to display banners

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Exciting ways to display banners

Post by dubiousdisc »

I've been working on a site where I am very dissatisfied with just dumping the site banners in the page in a list, so I was wondering: have you ever done anything particularly exciting to show off your buttons (or the buttons to other people's sites)?
Mikari

Re: Exciting ways to display banners

Post by Mikari »

I display them and when you click them a bit of info and credits about that particular button appears on top of the page. However, that page is old and in need to recoding, don't do it like that. ^^;; It's best to use JS instead of PHP in this case, so that the page doesn't reload every time you click on something. I really need to update this. You can also have a hover effect displaying something related to the button or have them hop or dance when you put the mouse over them via css3. Back when I had a fansite collective I had circular pictures to serve as link which rolled on o the page. Maybe looking at css effects will give you some ideas, then you can put them into @keyframes if you're looking for something to make the page "come alive." XD
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Well, that sure is exciting XD I wasn't really thinking about animating, huh...I was actually thinking more about how to set up the list in itself? But EXCELLENT POINT ON THE ANIMATIONS thanks Mikari I'll look around :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Super random idea but what if the buttons made some sort of shape on the page, like how we all used to do ASCII text but with images? It would involve a lot of absolute positioning or grid layout-ish kind of stuff, perhaps, and it wouldn't be easy to add more buttons, but it might be cool.
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
neo

Post by neo »

I personally really love button walls when I visit sites.
I just open them in new tabs and cruise around: both to find new sites and see what that particular webmaster/mistress likes. But, I can understand wanting to vary the representation.

Some ideas for personalization:

1.) A small banner "rotation" to represent favorite-favorite sites: using either that site's larger banners or custom images (e.g.: if it is a character shrine, a custom image of that character.) Maybe a few words why you like or recommend this site. It's something that could be changed or rotated as often as you like and you can still retain the button wall beneath it.

2.) This is only something I thought of recently, but as far as a general layout goes, you could try mimicking a full TCG card deck. Again, the larger images representing big favorites ( Examples: One [credit @ Chivalry], Two [credit @ Life bottle], Three [credit @ Japanimation] )
Personally, I would space those first two out more for distinction.

I think even just changing the size of the banners to something more unconventionalwould be refreshing. :)

Now that I think about it, it would be kind of fun to have domain or shrine trading cards....

Also, if you have a site with smaller linkage, I really like Destinie's display at the bottom of Country Bumpkins. :)
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE