I'm addicted to Google Fonts!

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
FandomSavant

I'm addicted to Google Fonts!

Post by FandomSavant »

I'm not content with standard serif (garamond, times...) and sans-serif (arial, verdana...) fonts anymore. It's like my designs feel incomplete if I don't make a trip over to Google Fonts and put at least one into use. So odd.

I think my go-to at this point for content is Open Sans, and I love quirkier ones for headings or accents (like setting a script font for italics).

Is it just me? Is anyone else Google Fonts addicted/reliant?

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant
Lethe

Re: I'm addicted to Google Fonts!

Post by Lethe »

Hey, I'll move this topic to Layouts and Graphics. :D There have been several interesting fonts topics over there before (for example content fonts).

I came back to making websites last year, discovered @font-face and Google Fonts and it was like... "A WHOLE NEW WOOOOOOOORLD" o__o I also see certain Google Fonts being used on other people's sites (there are specific fonts I associate with Samantha, for example haha) and write them down somewhere so I can use them in one of my future layouts too... "This font is so pretty - must find an excuse to use it somewhere!"

To me, it's a drag to look for content fonts though, even with the preview option... I love choosing fonts for headings much more haha.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I've heard a lot of talk about them but have not used any yet. My (crappy) experience with the @font-face rule had kind of made me gun-shy; I had an issue with my self-hosted fonts not showing up on random occasions (one day it would work, the next day it wouldn't, without me changing anything between times).

I would like to incorporate some new fonts into my repertoire, though, because you can only do so much with Garamond, Georgia, Verdana, Arial, etc. LOL
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Aku

Post by Aku »

Definitely love Google Fonts! I have abused the hell out of Open Sans lately as well, and I feel no shame! Having Google Fonts as a resource is a good way to give your text a little spice without having to upload and embed the fonts yourself (or even worse, illegally embedding fonts you don't have the license to use), cuz we all know that I'm incredibly lazy. I need to make an effort to check out some other ones, I have the tendency to spam the same fonts once I find one that I like. XD;

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of resources similar to Goog Fonts? I don't mean free fonts in general, but one that allows you to embed the way Google does? :o It'd be interesting to see if anyone else provided something similar for web fonts.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

As far as similar services go, I've used FontSquirrel a lot to find fonts. Typically they provide the fonts for you to upload to your own server, rather than hosting from somewhere else (as is the case with Google Fonts).
tonight fate is the
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

I use them like craaaaaaazy now, it's so much easier to grab the fonts I want and slap it on my sites xD
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Delphine

Post by Delphine »

I didn't know that existed O: I've always been doing my font-faces with the help of FontSquirrel haha, might as well try Google Fonts next time ! At least, you don't need to upload the fonts... #lazy
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

I've always uploaded my own fonts and used FontSquirrel, but I was actually thinking of starting to use Google Fonts, because they're just that much easier to use! (And no uploading fonts on my server, yay!) :D
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Since learning how to use Google Fonts I'm in love with it. I use it on nearly every single new site now.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I am a very recent convert to Google Fonts--I was thinking it was super complex to try to implement, and then I got tired of using a bunch of "web safe default" fonts and went on a mad font hunt. A few minutes later, I had pretty much all new fonts for my in-progress shrine! WHY DID I DENY MYSELF THIS AMAZINGNESS~~~
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org