Skins?

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
FandomSavant

Skins?

Post by FandomSavant »

You know that "skin" site trick of letting people choose which layout
/color scheme/design they want to appear on your site? How is that accomplished? Is it just a matter of different stylesheets?

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant
Masao
Host

Re: Skins?

Post by Masao »

Sometimes it's just the stylesheets, sometimes it's loading a totally different layout header/footer, and you save the choice in a cookie so the next time they return to the site, they're preference is saved.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Masao wrote:Sometimes it's just the stylesheets, sometimes it's loading a totally different layout header/footer, and you save the choice in a cookie so the next time they return to the site, they're preference is saved.
Ohh, I see. I've never done it before, but I'm building a fanlisting now that I think could benefit from multiple layouts.

I'm building one for Phil Hartman and I'm cross listing it for his acting, his writing, and his work as a graphic artist. So I thought maybe having a layout featuring each of those things would be nice.

Hi! I'm Patricia.

Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

Looking forward to it! Let me know if you need help.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I've seen a lot of people use cookies, though there are also other tricks such as using the layout as the main php and the content as the insert according to a variable (basically the reverse of what people usually do when inserting headers and footers.) I have multiple layout that automatically change every few days, but if you want the visitor to be able to choose, then cookies sound like the way to go. Or if for whatever reason you prefer not to use cookies, then the insert trick with an url variable works. I have a few notes that could give you some ideas about what coding to use.
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Thanks all. :)

Hi! I'm Patricia.

Mikari

Post by Mikari »

You're welcome ^^ If you want an extra pair of eyes to look at your code let me know.