Oubliette.NU

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Lethe

Oubliette.NU

Post by Lethe »

The Caged Songbird Network

I've been wanting to replace disconsolation.net for quite some time, so I bought oubliette.nu in February. The network revamp is something I've been working on pretty much ceaselessly for the past two weeks, as I just... hated everything I had up on the placeholder layout of disconsolation.net.

I rewrote all the pages for my network to make it reflect who I am now, as five years (when I bought my first domain) is a long time. I reflected on my journey through fandom, websiting and shrining, and wrote down a lot of my thoughts about visiting and creating shrines in general. It's lengthy, but it's also me, and it's important to me.

The network page was what bothered me the most about the previous version, since I didn't anticipate making many shrines (at least not so soon), and the one column set-up just didn't give them the appropriate space. On the revamped network, the shrines are grouped by type, and you can visit them directly. But you can also click on each of them and see a short introduction to them, as well as a wall of text about the "making of" (for myself, and for whoever is interested in trying out new things) and my own feelings regarding each shrine.

I've also finally added a proper update blog to the network, as well as a long overdue guestbook.

I've linked some members of Amassment who I frequently interact with on the links page, but if we've spoken personally before and you'd like to exchange links, let me know. <3 To everyone else who has linked to disconsolation.net - thank you! (I hadn't added links to my previous link page because I hadn't figured out how to set them up yet, and then I knew I was moving off disconsolation.net...) I'd appreciate it if you could update any link to oubliette.nu! The same goes for my shrines; note that some of them have changed subdomains. disconsolation.net will expire by the end of the year.

Let me know what you think, and whether everything is working properly? :> (And don't feel like you have to read stuff omg, it's super lengthy. /o\)
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Crystal

Re: Oubliette.NU

Post by Crystal »

Letheeeee this is amazing! <333 I love that you wrote a lot about everything on here. It makes it feel really Lethe-esque. xD
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

OMMMGGGGG, LETHE. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL. The wooden background, the paper textures, the soft, subtle greens, the COPIOUS WALLS OF TEXT BEFORE MY EYES. This is absolutely my kind of aesthetic I just—lakjdlfkajdf;; I mean, you forwarded me some previews and stuff before, but I was NOT PREPARED for all the pretty images around the site and just the PRETTY in general. I LOVE the gorgeous headers and the slight coloring you did with some of the images, as well, ugh.

And the QUOTES??? "This is the Nonsense of Love" is one of my favorite poems and I'm so, SO pleased to see "There is no clean way / To enter the heavy machinery of the heart" here. I mean, I love the entirety of the poem, of course, but this was the line that struck me the most when I first read it and just to see it here embroidered with all the other wonderful aesthetics, I— :heart: :heart: :heart:

I love how your updates and contact pages fit the rest of the layout! AND YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT YOUR NEW PURPLE GUESTBOOK, AAAAAHHH.

I feel like this is going to turn into a full blown essay of sobbing and CAPSLOCK very soon—and this is just my first impressions, omg!!! I have yet to delve into the content, but I am SO EXCITED to explore the site more, alkdjsfl.

Also: LOOOOLLLLL. I-YOU... YOU USED THE THING I SAID. BACK THEN AND I—AHAHAHAHAHAHA, OMGGG. I'm so honored. YES. LET THE WORDS FLOW THROUGH YOU AND POUR FORTH.

You have indeed gone ABOVE AND BEYOND THE LIMIT in every possible way! Everything is just glorious and so well thought out and very Lethe-esque, as Crystal said. It was well worth the wait. I LOVE IT. :D <3
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

I've already told you how much I love this revamp, but what's another time? :yay: I really love what you've done with this; you put so much work into it and it shows, absolutely. :heart: The images you've chosen to showcase your sites are gorgeous, I love all of the quotes, and your font picks are on point. It's lovely and tl;dr (except I read it all :heart:) and it's all very you.

I'll be sure to update my link soon!
tonight fate is the
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Enchanting. <3 The personal narrative flowing throughout the entire site, the beautifully heartfelt header images, the quotes (esp. the funny one from Andrea xD), the navigation fixed so that it scrolls down with the page, and ...just every little detail (the rounded corner border on favorite sites, what is that amazingness??? I must know).

Excellent work, Lethe. Feels like watching a butterfly emerge from its chrysalis. :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

aaaah thank you, everyone, for visiting my domain and for your feedback!! <3

@AdriCULOUS: Yes, I actually do like "disconsolation" still, just not as a domain name because it's so long haha. It's funny that you mention expecting different quotes in the footer, because I did actually consider that, but decided against it in the end. :O There's already so much going on in the layout, and the header quote changes sometimes, so I thought it'd be best to leave it at that; not to mention it makes the selected quote in the footer memorable. Glad you like it!

Robin actually set up a guestbook via WordPress, so that's definitely an option, but comments on individual updates sounds good too.

For linking, I suggest looking around to see how others in the community do it! I also really wanted to link to Amassment's member list so visitors can check out other sites with similar content, even of the members I'm not close with - maybe that's something you'd be more comfortable with if you don't want visitors to be confused? There are also plenty of members who have a text link list, actually! I just... love... staring at buttons... :content:

Thanks again for the visit, and especially the comment on my typography! :D

@Crystal: Thank you, Crystal!! :heart: "Lethe-esque" ahahaha.

@Andrea: :heart: :heart: :heart: ... I love how "COPIOUS WALLS OF TEXT" is part of your aesthetics omg. I wish I could have done more of that "slight colouring" with the header images, but not all of them allowed me too aaaahh!! I love seagreen, so I really wanted it to be in there. ;_; I'm glad you noticed it!! :star:

I LOVE "This is the Nonsense of Love", and the line you quoted is my favourite too. <3 <3 <3

Thank you for all the enthusiasm and the heaps of praise!! :DD <33

@Larissa: :heart: :heart: :heart: /clings to your leg

@Robin: Thank you so much, Robin!! "Feels like watching a butterfly emerge from its chrysalis." ;_; <3

OKAY so, in case you were wondering how to do rounded corner borders yourself: You know how margin/padding works, right? If you set one value, it affects all sides, if it's two, it's top/bottom and left/right respectively, and so on. For border-radius, it's the same, so you can make each corner look different. If you need help with visualizing, Larissa introduced me to this handy tool. :D
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Lethe! Your domain looks amazing! Love the layout, and like others have mentioned, the quote as well at the end! I like how you have everything set up on your network page, as well as the timeline of when things were created and put online! Looks lovely! I will get you linked back today! :D
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

SO GORGEOUS. SO GORGEOUS.
Everything is so amazing and I don't even know what to say anymore because there's so much about it and the tl;dr is YAAYYYY everything

I love how much and how beautifully you can write about your passions. ;_;

The choice of pictures and quotes throughout the entire site is gorgeous and it's so obvious that there is an unbelievable amount of thought in this.

I am also really really happy about the way you did all the presentation pages for your sites, with the key concepts for each site. In fact, it makes me want to think about that for my own sites. It's just such a brilliant way to think more about themes that resonate with you throughout your favorite pieces of media and ahHHH

I actually spent a long while looking at the wood background because...it's just...so fucking pretty and works so well. I rarely see a choice of background texture that is just...so conceptually and visually perfect for the site.

I'll go update my links right now and heeeeee the way you did your links is adorable

(self-indulgence moment: I agree with you and "feisty" should totally be on my business card)
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Your new domain is so beautiful! It shows how you put so much love and care into each page, they are all detailed and well written. It's all so poetic and lovely!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

@Megan: Thank you, Megan!! <3 Yes, the timeline was important to me since my shrines are no longer lined up in chronological order haha.

@dubiousdisc: Thank you, dubiousdisc! <3 <3 I looooove your present setup at rigelatin.net, but if you can somehow add something similar, I'd love to see it. <O><O>

Damn the wood background totally stole the spotlight when I look at your comment LOL. I'm glad it seems like such a great fit to you!! o___o

@Mikari: Thank you, Mikari! :D <3 <3 <3