The JRPG Generator

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: The JRPG Generator

Post by dubiousdisc »

First thing: oh my god you did it for real. holy shit.

It's incredible. That this is all about music, it was never said in the prompt beyond the presence of two bards, but holy shit, it makes so much sense!
It's so poetic. I would have not expected something like that. It's wonderful.

This would be a life-changing adventure indeed! Imagine this as a real game, with your writing! I'd give a kidney for a good music-based puzzle game...

You know, I'd originally made the generator to spoof the fact that all these games really have the same plot, but as it got expanded with more words and as your piece proves even further, I'm seeing another thing now: with poor imagination and poor storytelling skills, even the most exciting of plots end up being dull, and with good imagination and good storytelling skills, you can make something gorgeous and brilliant out of any prompt.

Also, side note, but I'm glad that I had the thought of adding "other _" as something that the evil entity could be. The second I tested it I knew this was great, but after your thing, I'm really really really glad that I did and that you've done something so cool with it.

I want to make something like this too now.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

SqueeeeeeeeeeeeEEE I'm glad you like it!! I worried that the musical connection was too tenuous but then it became so cool I was just like "whatevs let's go for it!! :D". I'm glad I did now <3

I'm gonna develop a prose version of a battle scene and see how that turns out...I also need to flesh out the Good Bard Lady's role a bit too. YAY PLANS :D

I think your point about storytelling skill and plot is soooo important and on point. Ive tried games that sounded good till I started playing and was just like "...wtf" after the first few tasks, and I've played some ridiculous sounding games that were amazing because of good story and structure too :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

omg I love it so much, Robin, whaaaaaaaat. ;______; Exactly what dubiousdisc said - I love how you connected everything so beautifully with music, and it's just so Robin. ;_; (Not to mention I just love stories and games where musical elements play a big part. ;_;)
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

YAY thank you Lethe! :D I actually dreamed a bit of a battle scene in CGI animation style where the bits of discordant harmony start to tremble when Michelangelo and the butterflies create a chord with the flutters of their wings. Omg it was so cool :D oooooo now must write more <3
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Ok so last night and today I've been writing like crazy, so I have about 4 more pages added here. (I don't know how to link it so that the document immediately skips to the new part, apologies :/)
withinmyworld.org
ritabuuk

Post by ritabuuk »

That is really beautiful. Thank you for writing this and sharing this. It was giving me such beautiful mental images that I tried to draw it for you.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I love the development in this topic LOL. :heart:

Awww the description of music and keys. ;_; OH MY GOD THE BUTTERFLIES ARE SO CUTE I'M ASDJLAKSJDL I feel like it's very special to read a story written by someone you know (I've said this to dubiousdisc recently too)... Reading that battle scene, I can just see the backdrop of education-related experiences and issues you've written and talked about before, and it makes me appreciate it all the more.

ALSO, YAY, ritabuuk dropping in with a beautiful surprise gift omg. ;_;

Not sure whether I've mentioned this before, but I think a page on the JRPG generator site pooling creations sprung from it might be fun?
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

ritabuuk wrote:That is really beautiful. Thank you for writing this and sharing this. It was giving me such beautiful mental images that I tried to draw it for you.
OOOO SO PRETTY <33333 omG yay!! I love all the detail you've woven in (the cacophonies, the castle in the background, the swirls of music, and each of the little butterflies)! :D Thank you!! :D
Lethe wrote:I love the development in this topic LOL. :heart:

Awww the description of music and keys. ;_; OH MY GOD THE BUTTERFLIES ARE SO CUTE I'M ASDJLAKSJDL I feel like it's very special to read a story written by someone you know (I've said this to dubiousdisc recently too)... Reading that battle scene, I can just see the backdrop of education-related experiences and issues you've written and talked about before, and it makes me appreciate it all the more.

ALSO, YAY, ritabuuk dropping in with a beautiful surprise gift omg. ;_;

Not sure whether I've mentioned this before, but I think a page on the JRPG generator site pooling creations sprung from it might be fun?
YAY thank you Lethe! I agree, it's cool to read something that a friend has written (like reading through the poetry book dubs shared a few months back... :') ahh so pretty :D). It's like "hey I know the person that made this, they are cool peeps, how did they think of this, omg :D"

And I definitely like the idea of getting together a page of offshoots from this most glorious generator :D :D
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

really really trying not to spam this topic, so y'all feel free to move this off into a new topic if needed...but just wanted to share the newest addition to the file (begins on the middle of page 8).

Also, this part of the story has a music reference that is based on this lovely haunting song--the full melody begins at 0:39 and it's what I had in mind as I wrote. :') (this is the artist's homepage)
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

AaHHH this is SO COOL, SO COOL SO COOL
I appreciate the further naming of Gloriana because all the names in a proper JRPG have to be intense (hence the reason for stuff like Michelangelo etc.)

You know maybe it's just because I've reread it recently but the dynamic between the Lady and Michelangelo is reminding me of The Neverending Story's first part. I'm assuming you read it so I'm not explaining for potential spoilers for others, if not I'll tell you. Regardless the fact that you're reminding me of one of my favorite books is fantastic :D

I can't wait to read more!!!

NO THERE'S NO NEED OF A NEW TOPIC I'm super proud to showcase your stuff in here, you're not hijacking you're IMPROVING IT

I will totally make a page on the generator itself! I'll have to think of a cool way to show off the things :D