Storyteller

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
high seraph

Storyteller

Post by high seraph »

Hello! I'm finally making an updates thread for my collective, Storyteller. I've chosen to do this now because I've just updated its layout to version 2.0, featuring artwork from the manga/anime Orange (which isn't the best anime/manga in the world, but it's still pretty cute!!!!). This time, I've gone for a more minimalist design, with the entire content covering a single plage. I also wanted the content to flow in a way that emulated the structure of a manga/comic book, and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

There are actually some missing pages, like contact and updates, and I'll get around to making them...... some day...... maybe...... :bleh:

Some more information about the process of building this layout:
  • It was not tested (like, at all) on smaller resolutions or alternate browsers, so I have no idea what this layout actually looks like for everyone else (I'd appreciate some screencaps and feedback, if possible!!!)
  • It kind of overuses inline CSS styles. I've heard some people demonice inline CSS styles, while other people just say it's no big deal, and while I personally prefer to have as much of the CSS separated from the HTML, I ended up mixing both. While the code looks... slightly uglier than usual, it still accomplishes everything I wanted it to, and that's good enough for me.
  • I said I wanted the content distribution to emulate a manga, but a great source of inspiration for it was one paged shrines that have their content structured differently in every section, like Messenger of Magic. Lethe's collective was also a great influence in the overall look of the site (tbh I had never considered using manga scans in my designs???). :heart:
A-Anyways, I'm rambling, like usual. See ya next update, I guess!
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Storyteller

Post by Robin »

OOO nice!! I like the white/yellow/green/black color scheme (works really well and is still very readable), and the many pictures splashed throughout the page make it easy to scan through and enjoy as well. Well done! :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Anise

Post by Anise »

Wow! I love it. I really enjoy the color scheme and the flow of it. It's very readable and I like the combination of two column and one column design.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Fucking gorgeous as always! How did you manage to make the images work so well with the text?!
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Love it, Lucas! Everything flows so well together. The gorgeous yellow and green fit nicely with the black-and-white images, which add life to the text. :)
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

SO this makes me extremely happy because I am currently watching the anime of Orange right now! I am really feeling the main couple, so seeing this layout has reminded me that I have a few episodes to catch up on!

Minus me being biased because of the characters, this is a lovely layout! I like the way you set up your domain space! I will link you back asap!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Lucas, your new layout is SOOO good - I love it! I'm also super glad to see you making new shrines! <3
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

This design is so beautiful! I love how all of the images are incorporated alongside the text and the colors are so bright and happy! I am excited to see your projects that you've been working on! ESPECIALLY OLIVER FROM NI NO KUNI! Also thanks for linking to my domain! I added your link too!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

wtf why did you not slap me with this the moment it went up I AM DAYS LATE because I don't frequent this part of the forum regularly...

DID ANYONE SAY MANGA SCANS OMG I AM SO HERE FOR THIS OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I JUST- I JUUUUUUUUUUUUST- AJSLKDJALD /DIES

I love everything about this aaaaahhhh stay with us forever. The colour scheme, the one page format, Orange, the text-backgrounds (I struggle a lot with this and mostly stopped using text backgrounds because it makes me want to stab things, but I love seeing other people pull it off), the hover effect on the shrines, BORDER-RADIUS WITH MORE THAN 1PX DOTTED BORDER wtf, the changing structure throughout the page, the bold usage of unevenly-cut panels... wtf.

AKANE!!!! OMG!!!!! ASJDLAJDLSAJ!!! I need to pick your brain about this. /gobbles up all akane write-ups and swims in them

I use Chrome and a resolution of 1280x720 by the way, and it looks perfect from here? I also think inline CSS works great here since the elements have obviously been tailor-made for this layout specifically... I feel like I should use inline CSS myself more often on pages with unique elements, rather than write every single element and minuscule deviation into the stylesheet lol.

aaah I'm honoured to hear that my collective influenced something this pretty. TT___TT I'll link your collective later on today. :heart:
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Oohhhhhhhhh I love this!! The layout is so unique and memorable. <3 Yellow is such a hard colour to work with (for me at least!) and you used it so well!! I love how you did pretty much everything from the border radius to the link highlights, to the little cutout character next to the final paragraph in the about section. PLUS it's a one pager! <3 Very inspiring~

Thank you for linking to me too! ^_^ I will return the favour a bit later today when I update my links page. <3