the red crown network

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Mikari

Re: the red crown network

Post by Mikari »

That layout is so beautiful!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Okay I swear I had notifs turned on for this thread why did I never get them. Maybe I clicked it on my phone by accident, I do that all the time... :swt:

Anyway, super belatedly, thank you both! :heart: :heart:
tonight fate is the
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

throws phoenix down again haha wow i never plugged the last layout in this thread oops

I finally, finally found a way to break up my site page in a way that makes me happy. Honestly I've wanted to use SUPER BIG IMAGES forever and this was my excuse. :yay:

Went out on a limb and learned some new things for this layout; I've started using Brackets recently and I rewrote all my CSS into SASS, which lead to a lot of trial and error, but it was worth it in the end. :content:

Lots and lots of love for Lethe on this; she offered tons of support, and I absolutely was inspired by her to make individual pages for certain sites. (I was too lazy to make them for each site, lmao........ :sob: I do not have that much tl;dr in me.)
tonight fate is the
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

PRETTY NEW BUTTONS :music: :star: :star: :star:

omg I've already freaked out about this on every possible channel but omg. I love how you supporting me means "sit there and explain things at length, then fix stuff I mess up" while... me... supporting you... just means incoherent capslocking all over the place.

I shall look into SASS...!

:heart: :heart: :music2: :star:
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

It's beautiful! I love the navigation and how each image is different but fits into the same theme so well!
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

:!: :!: :!: :!: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I was alerted of this BEAUTY in ALL CAPS in TWO DIFFERENT COMMUNICATION CHANNELS by Lethe, but I was not prepared for this glorious assault on my eyes!

SUPER BIG IMAGES is always a perfectly good reason to do anything, to be honest, and the way you implemented all that eye candy to show off your sites is FANTASTIC. I also really enjoyed reading the blurbs you had for your sites—DEATH WISH ESPECIALLY, LMAO. (But that quote you used for them—ugh, it's one of my favorites. It's so beautiful in the context of everything but also equally lovely on its own. THE SALT. THE PAIN.)

Also kudos for trying out new things and managing to figure it out! I'll have to look into SASS and Brackets as well in the future, haha.

But anyways, the EYE CANDY. The new version absolutely pays homage to the visuals of the film! (And I agree with your thoughts on the film, too; it's really not his best work story-wise, but VISUALLY. OMG, the beauty is just on a whole other plane of existence, ugh.) I love the images you used and how dynamic the layout is, with the images and CSS changing from page to page! (The way the gradients change on "redcrown.net" is the best thing—THE BEST THING.)

I also love how the different images and colors are reflective of different seasons, and how sequential it all is—like how it goes from a drizzle to a downpour to the storm finally passing? Browsing your domain was like taking a nice stroll on a lovely rainy day, one that you wouldn't mind taking again and again.

TL;DR, I AM SETTING UP A HOUSE IN YOUR DOMAIN AND LIVING IN THIS NEWFOUND MAKOTO SHINKAI KINGDOM. Lovely work, as always!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Last edited by Andrea on Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

@Lethe: :heart: :star: :heart: Your support is the best kind of support though, I felt as though I had a cheerleader the whole time I was working on this. You're the best :blush:

@Mikari: Thank you! :yay: The film is so gorgeous, I owe a lot to the pretty pictures, haha.

@Andrea: lmao omg. :heart: !! I'm so glad you like it! I have such a love of SUPER BIG IMAGES and getting to use them here was a joy. (TB AND X ARE NOTHING BUT PAIN lmao sob.)

I definitely recommend Brackets! I've completely switched from Notepad++ to Brackets and I'm really enjoying it. There are still a couple things I'm figuring out but for the most part it was a great switch. SASS was trickier but it made it much easier to change the CSS on every page so it was worth it, haha.

It's so funny you mention seasons though because in many ways this layout is kind of a spiritual successor to a domain layout I made in ... 2010 or something that was centered around the four seasons. I went back and looked at it while I was designing this and tried to capture as much of those design elements as I could, haha. I'm so glad the 'narrative' of the design came across.

Ahhh thank you so much. :heart: :heart: :heart: :!:
tonight fate is the
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Holy shit Larissa I literally clicked on it and LOUDLY GASPED
it's...so...GORGEOUS...!! omg the navigation and EVERYTHING it's just
so original and so brilliant and it makes me happy. WELL DONE you win

(huh I really need to get into SASS, I'm already doing some of the things it does manually behind the scenes so might as well let a computer be a computer)
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

:heart: :!: Thanks dubs! I'm so glad you like it :yay:

I really only scraped the surface of SASS with this layout; there's a ton it can do (and a bunch of libraries to make it do even more) but I spent so long trying to figure out the complicated stuff that I figured it was easier to start small and work my way up, haha. :swt2:
tonight fate is the
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Absolutely lovely work, Larissa. The images are big but don't overwhelm the layout--it's more like visiting an art gallery, with the white/subtly textured backgrounds. <3

Also, I am randomly enchanted with the way the sites button expands and contracts on mouseover and mouseout! :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org