New Windows

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Lethe

Re: New Windows

Post by Lethe »

I'm like Emma here. By habit, I open everything in a new tab by holding down CTRL, so I don't even notice whether or not "_blank" is coded in. I do have my browser set to open "_blank" links in a new tab rather than a new window though.

I used to use "_blank" very often back when I made websites around 2003 though... when tabs weren't really a thing yet, I think. (I also remember having to get used to all sites being grouped into a single symbol on the task bar, rather than clogging it up. 8D)

Due to the habit and preferring to determine how/where to open new pages on my own, I don't code it in anymore.
dubiousdisc wrote:I was thinking, maybe it bothers most of us because we're all power users. On the other hand - aren't people who would visit a shrine also gonna be power users...
This is something interesting to think about. For example, I don't include a "back" link in the footer of my sites because I've always either used the browser's back button or the backspace key. When I asked Todd about the rationale behind it, he explained it's most likely being done to help visitors who aren't power users haha.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

You know, we could make a poll about this to know exactly how many people use the CTRL/middle click to manipulate that directly!
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I use it all the time. My middle click gave out on my mouse at home recently and I am an angry Nyx.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Laura

Post by Laura »

I used to use _blank back in the day but now I don't use it at all.

Like dubs, I middle-click to open stuff into new tabs. I don't always want something to open up in a new tab, when when I do, I do it myself. It gives me more leeway in how I want to browse sites, rather than someone else dictating it for me.

On the other hand, I also hate being forced to leave my site when viewing images in my galleries. It's really inconvenient for people to click "back" on their browser (or backspace on keyboard) just to go view the next image. Not user friendly in any way. So this is why I use lightbox! You can still middle-click or open the image in a new tab if you want to, but you can also browse the gallery very easily without interruption.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Echoing the lightbox :D
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

OMG. I've read this topic before and the subject randomly came up this morning when chatting with Elysa. For some reason, I completely missed the fact that you can middle-click to open links in new tabs??? I've always used CTRL+left click OR right click+open in new tab. OMGGGGG.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

dubiousdisc wrote:You know, we could make a poll about this to know exactly how many people use the CTRL/middle click to manipulate that directly!
I don't because I'm lazy. XD;

I generally always use target="_win" but only on external links. :x I think I do this mostly out of habit at this point. Wondering if there's any benefit to actually doing it, though...