Script suitable for fan fiction

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
isavarg

Script suitable for fan fiction

Post by isavarg »

I am looking for a script which can be used on a fan fiction archive which will hopefully cut down on the amount of coding which I need to do, which will run without the need to have a MySQL database (my current host only allows me to have two, and these are already being used.) and though this last probably won't be possible without a database, allow people to submit stories. However, a script which just helps me to organise the stories would be a great help to me, even if people can't directly submit stories themselves.

It would also be nice if I could integrate into my own layout like you can do with Icon Sort and Bella Buffs, without having to make a complicated theme.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Script suitable for fan fiction

Post by Robin »

I found a couple of things through sourceforge.net, but I'm not sure they would do ALL you need them to do:

- Personal Story Archive--looks promising overall, no apparent need for a MySQL database...but then again, I'm not much of a developer, lol
- FicML (FicML.org) - involves XML tools that appear to be mostly for fanfiction formatting and RSS feeds

Additionally, what about using a blogging service like Wordpress.com? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about the MySQL database problem, and you could potentially find a plugin that would work for formatting and submissions the way you want it to?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
isavarg

Post by isavarg »

Thanks. I'll look into those suggestions. I don't really want to use Wordpress because I'm not familiar with making themes for it and I always find that the premade layouts you use for that always look too corporate. As for the free cloud hosting, I'm not going to go for that because I've used free hosting before (with bravenet, freewebs and long before that, geocities when it was around.) Freehosting usually involves having adverts splashed all over your site, and most of the ones I've come across don't allow you to have databases or php scripts. Bravenet stopped doing free hosting and I get the feeling that the host would probably disappear on me one day.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

There's FanUpdate you can use, it's lightweight and more secure than CuteNews but it's easy to make layouts for.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
isavarg

Post by isavarg »

I've installed cute news as an experiment in a sub-folder to play around with skinning and such. I think that is what I'm looking for. It doesn't appear to be that complicated at all. Thanks. I was looking through a lot of CMS scripts and a lot of them I didn't understand (or appeared to increase the amount of coding I had to do.) Now my biggest problem is getting the skin to look how I want it to.
isavarg

Post by isavarg »

I am working on a couple of Star Wars ones, and a Tolkien one.

Are there any good tutorials around which will help me make a demo site first, as I am unsure about it. (One of the things which confuses me is the log in page being index.php, as I'd probably end up naming the home page that.)
isavarg

Post by isavarg »

I've not used bootstrap before, but I have access to the software, and thanks. I used to use Netscape Composer for layouts years ago and then switched to using notepad but layouts with that are kept simple.
isavarg

Post by isavarg »

Do I need to use bootstrap because when I download it, it doesn't seem to do anything other than what I do already. Do you know of a site which uses cute news so that I can see how they've set it up?
isavarg

Post by isavarg »

This is what I have so far. I get an error when I paste in the php update thing, so I assume that I'll have a similar problem with the rest. I'm not sure how to fix it.

http://dead-winters-night.uk/downtimecantina/test.php
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Warning: include(path/to/show_news.php):
You need to edit that path for the script to work. You need to point it to where show_news.php resides on your server, probably something like this:
/home/deadwint/public_html/downtimecantina/show_news.php
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone