Control Their Lives

From February 2015 to August 2015, we are challenging members to create sites to subjects that debuted in the 20th Century! Grab your walkman, unpack your SNES, drag out your vintage comics, and dust off those VHS tapes.
Camy
Administrator

Control Their Lives

Post by Camy »

It was so fun creating this because of all the memories spending hours building my family's home and creating my parents and brother [along with myself] to see what would happen came rushing back.
So, here I present
CONTROL THEIR LIVES
a shrine dedicated to the groundbreaking simulation game, The Sims

I wanted to keep it simple while also using Bootstrap again with an "old fashion" feel. Also kept the sections sweet and simple yet to the point so that it can be read on the go just to jog those memories while also teases people who have no idea about the series.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Lethe

Re: Control Their Lives

Post by Lethe »

Ahaha I walked into this topic not knowing it was about a Sims shrine and totally thought you made a "shrine" about your own family or house. XDDDD

That layout and colour scheme - they're so bubbly and fresh, I love it! *O* I should totally look into Bootstrap (since I see it mentioned so many times on Amassment).

As someone not familiar with The Sims at all (and I have never read up on it to see what exactly the gameplay entails), this looks like a neat introduction. :> I especially like you mentioning how the creator came up with the game, which is briefly mentioned again in "Houses".
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Lovely dedication! The one-column layout style looks really clean and fresh (like Lethe said), and that helps the content flow smoothly. What is the font you used for the headings, by the way? It looks really cute!

I especially liked reading the origins of the game--I had no idea the creator made the game after losing everything in a house fire. The game makes a lot of sense now. (Also, I'm not surprised it was once called Dollhouse, LOL)

One thing I was wondering about: when did you start playing The Sims, and what drew you to the game?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

The Sims! Such a classic XD Though I didn't really play myself, I've known a few people who play and I've seen screenshots. Entire stories have been fueled by putting the characters into the Sims. It was nice to become more familiar with what the actual gameplay is like through this site and I have to say, some of the things you have to do for the Sims made me laugh. This is really well dine and it layout fits the theme nicely.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

@Lethe: LOL! I sure fooled you XP

Thank you so much! It was actually one of the basic templates Boostrap showcases called "Jumbotron Narrow" and I editted it immensely it for it to fit the theme I was going for~ But yes, definitely try it out :D

Again, thank you >w< I remember watching a video about Will Wright talking about it so I had to mention that :D

@Robin: Thank you! I felt the same way too since dividing them up into separate pages just felt weird for a small tribute. Oh, the heading fonts are Bubblegum Sans :D

Hehehe, it really makes sense after finding out about that and he's an utter genius, as well as the development team, since who could imagine people liking this game back then when computers were not that powerful <33 (Ahaha same xD)

I actually got into it back when the first expansion came out thanks to my brother's friend in the neighborhood introducing the series to us. He let us borrow his game for a while before we got our own. Ever since then, I've been with it up to Sims 4 [despite how early that game was released since it felt like a teasing version, but thanks to recent updates (and mods), it's a lot better.] since I can't wait to see what they'll do with the new technology.

Also, looking back at the screenshots, they use Comic Sans LOLOL I think that would explain why many use it still since The Sims used it XD

@Mikari: Oh trust me, you'll be even more amused watching the Sims interact with objects and other Sims in the game, they're very whacky XD Thank you so much :D
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

This site really makes me miss the days when I used to play The Sims for hoursssss on end. I really like what you did with the site! :D Definitely gives us a great feel of what to expect when playing the games and lets us know that we have freedom to create our own families or we can start with pre-made ones!

Maybe if you ever wanted to add a section on the creepy clown painting that comes alive, the grim reaper, or even the robbers that can come to your house, that could be cool too! I feel like you could make that super funny :p
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Thank you Megan xD I miss the days too especially since my brother and I wanted a turn to play lol The looks on our faces when we first learned of rosebud was so funny xD

Omg the robbers. Even in the later games I am still CREEPED out when it happens. All of my controls are disabled and that music - THE MUSIC Dx
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I remember playing The Sims. I could never really get into it, but my Dad and sister are total fanatics when it comes to the series.

I love the name of the site. That's totally what playing The Sims feels like to me. I also had this random thought in my head the other day: when at home you have to control every action they do, but they seem to be perfectly capable of doing their jobs on their own. Totally random thought.

But yeah. I think it looks awesome as an intro to the series. I'd love to see it expanded in the future, and perhaps go into a little more detail about everything, but I can understand too if you'd want to keep it small. :)
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I played The Sims only once, and it was actually for a high school class. I don't remember what class or why, but I do remember that I really enjoyed it. And I enjoyed your shrine very much, too! :D It's quite interesting to see the reason why the game was made; I had no idea about the creator's misfortune. Overall an informative and fun site. Makes me wish I had played more of the game! Nice work, Camy~
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

@Crystal: Thank you, the site's name came so easily and it's what I feel like to when playing.

That random thought though really makes you wonder just how messed up that is XD

Ahahah I wish I could expand more but I would have to change the layout to fit the extra content areas, and so much information...so little time orz

@Sarah: Thank you! I had no idea either that was how the game was thought up of at the early stages to be just a house builder. Really shows that even the smallest feature (in this case, Sims) would bring such an amazing game and become the most sold PC game in the world.