storyteller.nightbringer.net

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
high seraph

storyteller.nightbringer.net

Post by high seraph »

Hello there!

I haven't been extremely active in the Amassment forums lately, but I've had my new collective site online for over an year... Except it had a really horrible layout that I was 100% unpleasant with, so I never told anyone about that site lmao. Strangely, I was taken over by a spurt of inspiration after playing Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for about fifteen minutes and... ended up completly remaking it and putting it up online in two days. Well, there you have it, folks!
There are several reasons why I was putting off launching my collective again. The biggest of them was the fact that I still feel like a huge noob when it comes to webdesign, and I was hoping I could relearn what I had forgotten + get up to date on the current web standards. That.... didn't really happen. I mean, I did get to remember a lot of what I used to do back when I ran my first collective (Unpleasantly Nice), but I'm still wayyy behind in actually learning what's new. One of my concerns was that I wouldn't be able to make mobile-friendly websites (and I still am not, but I would have to wait way too long if I wanted to learn all of that before launching any sites). I fired up the site on my own mobile device only to discover that the font sizes are totally messed up.

Another of my concerns is to eventually implement all the new features of HTML5, especially those related to accessibility (which haven't been used in this site at all...) Well, in the end I just decided that I would use actual live websites in order to improve my webdesign skills. Let's see where this gets me lmao.

Also, I should state that the site's wording is supposed to be completely ironic hahaha.

Well, as for actual shrines... I have none to show you atm, sorry. I mean, I got Sleepwalk, my Cheryl from Silent Hill: Shattered Memories shrine, up and running again in this new collective, but I'm far from pleased with its design now that my skills are... a little more polished? (although they aren't exactly what I'd call GOOD anyway). I have plans for a handful of shrines though, my biggest project being a Vanille & Fang from Final Fantasy XIII shrine, for which I already have a solid amount of content ready.

I should stop talking. I'm a little excited about sharing this hahaaha......
Last edited by high seraph on Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
Todd

Re: storyteller.moon.nu

Post by Todd »

lol, You are so hard on yourself, man; your designs are amazing! I love that you want to improve though.

So happy you're back! I was sad when Unpleasantly Nice went down. Particularly happy to see the Cheryl shrine back! Are you going to be bringing back the Edea shrine? I'll add your new link to Nightbringer soon!

Welcome back! Don't go away again! :P
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Shooooooooooooooooooooooooot if your new collective layout is what you call "noob" design, I should pack up and go home!! LOL!!

But seriously, welcome back and well done on what you've put up so far! Looking forward to the new sites as well as the return of your "classics" :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I HAVE JUST FALLEN SO HARD FOR YOUR LAYOUT YOOOOOOOOOOOOO (lmao omg Robin! the way you put that is so on-point)

I'm not familiar with Tactics Ogre AND OMG I STILL HAVEN'T PLAYED FFT, but of course I know the art, and your little screenshot in the about page is gold.

(Also, how do you make a collective and then not be tempted to share it right away, let alone keep it around for a year????? Btw your Backloggery link is dead. /wanted to stalk <O><O>) I hope you'll be active around here again! \o/ I remember your Cheryl shrine from when I met you on VDex!

Also:

FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE GIMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

@Todd Haha thank you!!!! That means a lot coming from you :sob: I was also pretty sad when Unpleasantly Nice was taken down, but here we are again!!!

And yes, I plan on reviving my shrine for Edea because my love for her character (and FFVIII as a whole) has not wavered over all these years lmao. Hopefully, 2016 will be a good year to get things done and bring all my old sites back to life!!!

Thanks for the support and I promise to stick around ;)

@CuriousLittleBird hahahah don't be silly!!!! :swt2: But thank you for the kind words!

@Lethe duuude I've been stalking your sites too and they're goden!!! I'm glad you appreciate the layout, I'm pretty satisfied with it myself, despite a few problems here and there. And the fact people really remembered my Cheryl site makes me blush ha ah ha ha... /works faster on the revamp.

And omg I know it sounds crazy that I kept a site hidden for around an year lmao, but I was really unhappy with how it turned out. (If you're curious this is the layout I had before).

Also, THANK YOU for pointing out that my backloggery link is dead!!! I'm gonna fix it asap (but here's a link that works anyway lmao). (edit: the link in the site should be working now as well!)
Lethe wrote:FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE GIMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
omg tbh I've been dying to share some of this site's content around here but I also want to keep it ~mysterious~ so it's been a constant struggle lmaoooo. This kind of reaction is just the right kind of motivation I need to keep working on it though, so thanks a lot!!!!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE FANG AND VANILLE I AM LACKING SLEEP NOW I WILL BE TOO FIRED UP TO SLEEP YO

Thank you for the compliment!! <3 I AM GONNA PUNCH YOU THAT LAYOUT WAS HARDLY WORTH HIDING. ALSO JUNPEI. AJDSLKAJDL!!! I like colourful layouts and "small layouts" with fixed content space for specific purposes too haha. It's adorable and creative, but I get we're our own worst critics. :P
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

i'M GLAD YOU ARE SO EXCITED LMAO!!!! OK OK I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD... SHARE SOMETHING........ even if it's just the first version of the site's layout :swt2: (spoiler: I don't like this layout anymore either ha haha)

tbh my biggest beef with the collective's first layout is how poorly it looked on mobile ;o; For the record: it looked REALLY BAD. I liked throwing a lot of my favorite video games together in a single layout though, it's definitely an idea I will hold for future use (and you just scored extra points in coolness for recognizing Junpei). The current layout isn't exactly mobile-friendly (at least not on my cellphone, idk), but at least it gets the job done???
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Anything Fang/Vanille is worth sharing LOL FREEBIES IN THIS TOPIC EVERYONE, LAYOUTS SCREENCAPS

I see a lenghty navigation and lots of text, this keeps getting better. <O><O> I need to (re?)read your Cheryl shrine to (re?)familiarize myself with your shrining style even though it's been a few years again, then maybe I'll know what to hype myself up for. <O><O>

Well I'll be honest with you, I don't use mobile much and also think that it's... not that bad of a mindset to have that some things are not meant for mobile (omg nobody hit me, this is my laziness speaking), so I don't put too much weight on it. ;_; And I know I have too many things I'd like to spend time looking into mobile, not to speak of me stubbornly clinging on to the stuff I already know.

BUT I think what you wrote in the first post is great - being willing to learn a new and different approach, no longer wanting to hesitate and assuming a learning by doing approach. Larissa said she'd like to move towards responsive design too, so maybe there could be a forum topic in the future where people exchange information and resources and introduce each other to new things! I'm sure some members of the community have easier access to things due to their own interests or their studies/jobs, and thus may have a better grasp as to where to start. And maybe you could teach us something new while teaching yourself! :heart: I don't really know how you all go about learning the things since I "learned" webdesign by just looking at other people's code back when everyone was websiting like noobs.
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

haha my learning experience has been very similar! Look at someone's site, press CTRL+U, look at the code and try to do something similar is a routine I know all too well. However, I've also abused the w3schools lessons and a variety of other tutorials and, more recently, I've been going through the codecademy programme in order to simultaneously refresh my knowledge and learn new things.

And I think it's ok to create content that isn't suitable for mobile browsing!! It's really just a personal preference, and, to me, also a really interesting challenge :heh: I think creating a thread to discuss that is a great idea, btw!!

As for my shrining style...... It's probably changed a lot after all this time!!! I put the Cheryl shrine back up because, even though it's outdated and the links lead to nowhere (lol), I still really like how it was written. But I'm planning to do things differently with the revamp ;w; WELL, I'm not trying to keep you from reading it or anything though!!!! The Fang/Vanille shrine is... very text-heavy and very theoretical and also about things that aren't exactly Fang and/or Vanille ha ha ha...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
It will also probably end with "they're girlfriends, and i don't mean girls who are friends. just deal with it."
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

ok I am supposed to be in bed but I read your Cheryl shrine instead!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH, I don't think I've read it before even though I had visited it. Again, it may be a much older project, but aaaaah this makes me even more excited for any of your future projects (it can only get better after all!!). I love your design, and I love the build-up you have on that shrine.

I haven't played Silent Hill and won't ever play it because you cannot get me to touch anything that so much as resembles horror, but being able to access such an interesting character via your shrine makes me glad you've reuploaded it! (The "World" and "Memory" pages are so gooooooood.) Totally looking forward to the revamp too, especially knowing you'll be changing things around! It'll be very interesting to see and compare.

Sorry, off-topic.

Simultaneous refreshing and learning sounds like a great idea. I haven't ever gone through an internet course like that, but I should at least consider going through w3school systematically, I guess, to get a good grasp on basics rather than just "winging" it. It shows up all the time when I google for CSS explanations/fixes anyway, so I'm already vaguely familiar with it haha...
high seraph wrote:and also about things that aren't exactly Fang and/or Vanille ha ha ha...
I am so here for that!! lol. Those are the interesting things to see on shrines.