[Plug] Donten.org

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Anise

Re: [Plug] Donten.org

Post by Anise »

Wow I love the new layout! It's so simplistic which allows for the colorful images for each subject to shine through. I also love the logo you made. It's raining love onto your fanlistings.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Popping in to tell you how awesome I think this new look is! Also I love all the long descriptions about all your fanlistings. I really enjoyed reading all your thoughts on each of your fanlistings (okay well I only read Saizo, Vegeta, and Genji *cough*). I love it! :D
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

This is amazing, Aku! The layout is great, but I especially love all the descriptions. Really makes this fanlisting collective stand out. It's very fun to browse and read the descriptions even on topics on not familiar with - so engaging.
a spoony bard
Aku

Post by Aku »

Thank you so much everyone for all the amazing feedback! :sob: I'm gonna do my best to reply to everyone (cuz it warms my heart that anyone took the time to reply to me... you deserve a reply too!!!) I'm so sorry I'm getting back to everyone so late, I forced myself to finish up Donten right before a 2 1/2 week trip to visit my family, so I'm just getting to reading a lot of these today. :heart: I'm really happy that I went through with this revamp!

---

@Masao: Thank you Masao! :music: I'm glad I was finally able to do something semi-shriney for my fanlistings!

@Angie: THANK YOU ANGIE I ALWAYS FEEL LIKE I'VE SUCCEEDED IF SOMEONE RESPONSE TO ME IN CAPSLOCK!! :heart: :cry:
Lethe wrote:It's so. fascinating. how varied the tone of your writing is, and how different these pages are from one another; I really feel like you just let yourself go (especially when the level of fangirling goes through the roof), and it's just so genuine. ;_; Some pages read like mini-shrines to the subjects, some are... an accumulation of memes and jokes, while others are more about what the subjects mean to you, or even about yourself - and in all cases, those pages are such deeply personal, immediate, sometimes even physical windows into the subject in question, no stats or context necessary. I feel like reading this as a whole has introduced me to a lot of different things and characters in a very immediate and intimate way (as in, seeing their essence) without too much of a prelude, but also without too many spoilers.
@Lethe: Thank you for all your insight with Donten, both before, during and after the process! (You don't know how much the constant prodding actually helped LMAO. And also, thank you for taking my request to spell/grammar check to heart. <3) I'm really glad you brought this up, because this was one of my worries with working on it: like you said, a lot of the pages are quite different in writing style and a lot of times I felt like I was pushing myself to make them more similar in approach. But I'm glad that it was enjoyable regardless of that! I really didn't want to take it too seriously and to treat each subject individually as opposed to thinking of it too macro, so long as the site as a whole came across as something very personal. I'm glad you interpreted it the way you did because I felt like that's what I was aiming for! (AND TRUST ME... I TEARED UP WRITING A FEW PAGES MYSELF. :cry: )
Megan wrote:Would you care to affiliate your FL collective with mine? http://like-knives.org/fan
& Akihiko with Junpei (http://like-knives.org/junpei) and Junpei x Chidori (http://like-knives.org/jc) :D
Megan: OMG MEGAN THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS! (And of course, I'd be more than happy to add all those affiliates! :3 Sorry I'm so late getting to this--I will do that right after I finish this reply haha!)

@Mikari: Thank you so much Mikari, it means a lot coming from you! <3
dubiousdisc wrote:convey the reasons why I like things, and I ended up expanding every fanlisting into a small shrine anyway, so the fanlisting didn't really do much for me. Your approach, I think, is the perfect answer to that. It really brings everything together and gives a reason to everything. "Crowning" the things you love with a fanlisting - that's something I'd never thought about, wow.
@dubiousdisc: Thank you dubs! T^T This has always been one of my problems with fanlistings as well, and I think this format just gave me the excuse to blurb about things that I've always wanted to, but don't necessarily have the time to build a full-blown shrine to. (Alternatively, it also made me realize the areas where I wanted the chance to say more...!! so hopefully some of these fanlistings will see expansions in the future!)
Robin wrote:This is awesomely done--I well understand how tiring this was to put together (given my experiences writing and compiling this slightly embarrassing thing and this slightly outdated thing), but you've made it flow SO nicely. The about pages are introductory without being overwhelming, and the pictures just make the content pop off the page...like Lethe said, it does feel like a magazine! (lmao it might actually inspire me to actually work on my old things again XD)
@Robin: Thank you so much Robin! I've been to your video game site before, I love the idea a lot and wish more people had stuff like this, I feel like you learn so much about a person really quickly... Super Mario RPG & Katamari Damacy are some of my favorite games of all time so I'm always happy to see them mentioned. ;__;

@Elysa: Thank you so much Elysa!! As one of the people who constantly badgered me to finish this... I really appreciate your encouragement and I'm so happy I was able to put this out not just for myself, but to share with everyone too!! (You don't know how much I need it when I start getting lazy with projects: knowing other people care to see it means so much, so thank you for all the times you reminded me of that! T_T)
Laura wrote:Especially for characters that I began to love over ten years ago... how do I remember all the memories and put it all into one little page?
@Laura: Thank you Laura!! ;O; This was definitely hands down, the hardest part about working on this! I can honestly see myself revisiting some pages if I ever replay/rewatch anything these subjects are in, because I feel like there are definitely pages I didn't do justice, haha. They are all subjects I've loved passionately, but years of not feeling that passion will definitely make you forget! (Like, it was only while working on this that I remembered Zidane and Vivi pissed together under the stars... omg...)

Also, I would love to see more people make logos for their sites! :inlove: It's been something I've toyed with in various web projects the past few years and it's quite fun! I want to see how everyone would brand themselves. <3

@Anise: Thank you so much, Anise! (And yes, the logo is definitely a play on the meaning of "donten" and the subject of the domain, I'm glad you caught that! :yay: )

@Crystal: Thank you so much for visiting & your feedback, Crystal! (As someone who I know is a hardcore FE fan, I hope my page did Saizo justice for you lol! Saizo and Genji... gotta read about those ninjas. :inlove: )

@Emma: Thanks Emma! I'm glad it was a good & easy read, even if you aren't familiar with all the subjects! I think in shrines it's easier to tackle that problem, but with something as short and quick as these little essays it was definitely more of a challenge to remain spoiler free + detailed enough to make sense!

--

(Whew! I think I got everyone...? Thanks for the love guys! T_T I really, truly appreciate the feedback, not just to those of you who commented here but also messaged me personally!)
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa all the Megaten ilu ;;

ETA: NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE LOVE RAIDOU AAAAAAAAAAAAAA TY FOR ACKNOWLEDGING HIM
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Hey Aku! Just posting to let you know I've added you back as an affiliate for all of them! :D Thanks! <3
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Aku

Post by Aku »

nyxmidnight wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa all the Megaten ilu ;;

Thank you nyx, ilu2!! I AGREE ;A; :heart: SMT pls make more Raidou games... I want to see Raidou in HD... :sob:
Megan wrote:Hey Aku! Just posting to let you know I've added you back as an affiliate for all of them! :D Thanks! <3
Thanks Megan! I added you last night! Our fls are successfully siblings now! :inlove:
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Aku wrote:
nyxmidnight wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa all the Megaten ilu ;;

Thank you nyx, ilu2!! I AGREE ;A; :heart: SMT pls make more Raidou games... I want to see Raidou in HD... :sob:
Raidou AND Gouto AND Satake AND Lucifer in HD :D

Oh and Narumi too, I guess :heh:

THE GREAT LORD MARA IN HD
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Aku wrote:@Crystal: Thank you so much for visiting & your feedback, Crystal! (As someone who I know is a hardcore FE fan, I hope my page did Saizo justice for you lol! Saizo and Genji... gotta read about those ninjas. :inlove: )
Ahaha, yep! It certainly has my approval. :D
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Oh Aku, this is such a lovely idea!! :heart: It makes your collective feel very personal and it's great to read the blurbs for each subject. My favourite has got to be Godot. :D I also love the layout too, so clean and easy to read, not to mention the fonts are gorgeous! Great job! :star: