[Requesting] Citation/Reference Check

Request, offer and trade site-related services - including hosting - here!
Forum rules
Please take note of overlapping forums as described in the rules post. Inquiries and feedback requests go into either of these forums where applicable: Graphics and Coding, Shrine Betas.
Fiona

[Requesting] Citation/Reference Check

Post by Fiona »

I'm wondering if someone who owns the Final Fantasy XII Ultimania Omega/Scenario Ultimania can double-check something for me for my Gabranth shrine (possible spoiler):

Show/HideSPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
A lot of the wiki pages about Gabranth that I came across state the following about his mother:
"...Noah moved with his sickly mother to Archadia, her homeland, where he adopted his mother's surname, Gabranth, and joined the Archadian Military..."
However, that part was never in the game, and the wiki pages themselves didn't provide any citation.

I'm pretty sure that is probably from page 29 of the Scenario Ultimania (the page about the Judges) since when I wrote about Gabranth's name back in 2008, I cited the Scenario Ultimania (no page number though), but I don't have the scan of that particular page anymore, so I can't double-check myself. :(

Anyway, thank you in advance. I will definitely credit you on my credits page when I get the shrine back up. :heart:
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: [Requesting] Citation/Reference Check

Post by Larissa »

Page 29 of the Scenario Ultimania has Gabranth's profile, so you're probably right! I don't have a scanner, so I've taken a couple pictures of the page in question; hopefully the text is legible. I can't translate it, but at least it's a starting point! Hopefully someone else can translate.

Pictures: one two three four

I've never come across that bit of information about Gabranth before, it's super interesting! I would love more translations from this book; I feel like there's never been much translated about FF12. (I am admittedly biased.)
tonight fate is the
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

OMG. Thank you so much, Larissa, that was exactly what I was looking for! Particularly the section in the first picture talked about the part I was concerned about! Thank you. <3
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Oh awesome, I'm glad I could help! :heart: I can't wait to see your site C:
tonight fate is the
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

Here's the whole page if you need it, although the kanji on Larissa's photo is much clearer.

And the Japanese text:
ジャッジマスター達が通常用いる名は姓のほうで、「ガブラス」というのは、彼の母方の姓だ。ガブラスの祖国はアルケイディア帝国の侵攻で滅亡している。当時彼には、とてもに騎士の道を歩む兄がいたが、兄は降伏を潔しとせず家族と別れて他国へ。しかしガブラスは病の母を置いてはいけなかった。

母の出身地である帝都アルケイディスへ移った彼は、故郷と決別すべくそれまでの姓を捨て、実力で地位を築いていく。恨みを押し殺して権力者に尻尾を振り、母が寂しく世を去っていくのを見届けながら。

心にためた暗い気持ちは、祖国や母を捨てた兄への憎悪に変わり、ガブラスを縛りつづけている。
It's basically the info you already have, plus the wiki page, and then some other stuff. From what I can interpret, Gabranth's separation from his brother had to do with not wanting to leave his mother behind. Based on how the passage is worded (and kind of how Japanese culture works), Gabranth's resentment towards Basch is really stemmed in him breaking apart the family. At some point, it looks like his mother passed away while he was in the process of climbing the political ladder. The last sentence talks about the accumulation of all the negative events that happened in his life transforming into hatred for Basch.

EDIT: Oops, I totally misread that you needed a translation, my bad!
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Don't worry. Thank you, Stefi!