About Construction Zone

From April to the end of December 2016, have courage to start and share your in-progress works! Release your shrines unfinished, and use community enthusiasm and feedback as fuel to keep working on them.
Robin
Events Staffer

About Construction Zone

Post by Robin »

Whoa, Amassment, watch your step and pardon our dust. You have just entered a Construction Zone!

Got a huge shrine you want to make, but feel like it's just too massive to tackle all at once? Want to start building a shrine but don't know how to start? Worried you might not have time to finish a shrine? Have you got an incomplete shrine online that you just don't know how to finish?

NO PROBLEM! Our Construction Zone event will help you get inspired and stay focused from beginning to end! You'll be able to work on your shrine at your own pace, while allowing visitors to enjoy an active, growing site.

Here's how this event works:
  1. Make a layout & index page, basic introduction page for your topic, and a "site" page for your shrine. (These are the bare minimum pages you need for this event--if you have more than that, that's fine, too!)
  2. Upload these files to your server right away!
  3. Plug your site in a separate topic within the Construction Zone event board.
  4. As you work on your shrine, post in your topic about what you're adding, so visitors can come and enjoy!
This might seem scary if you're used to releasing only completed shrines, but never fear! This event is about enjoying our works in progress, encouraging and supporting each other. We love to see what you're working on!

There are many benefits to a public work in progress:
  • You will get feedback and ideas from other members as you work.
  • If you're stumped where to go next, you can post in your topic and ask for input.
  • You can use this site as something to work on in between other projects, when you're feeling bored, or want to work on a site and don't have much time to do anything substantial. Sites you make for this event are meant to be updated. Update them when you feel inspired or motivated, and work on them at your own pace.
  • You get IMMEDIATE satisfaction as people respond to your work and give you encouragement on your project every step along the way.
  • If you are shrining something with a massive canon (like a comic series, long anime or video game series), you will not feel pressure to cover everything at once, and can write about things you want, uploading as you go. You may not hit the entire canon, and your site may never stop being a work in progress, but because your visitors will know your site is a work in progress, you shouldn't feel bad about it not covering everything right away.
  • You will get to see the process in which others create shrines, and share your own. This should help, inspire, and motivate us all.
Signups

You may sign up for the Construction Zone event with a subject you've been approved for in an Amassment challenge (like Dynamic Duos), but you must complete 5 articles/essays before the shrine can be considered "complete" and be plugged in the challenge's sub-forum, as per our general challenge policy. In the meantime, your shrine can be part of Construction Zone and be built online!

This event will run until December 31st, 2016. Tweet about it using the hashtag #AMCZone!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: About Construction Zone

Post by Larissa »

Question! Is this only for brand-new sites, or can existing sites be a part of this event?

I ask because I have a site that's been a work in progress (so to speak) for the past couple of years (this one); I'm planning on working on it more this year anyway and would love to do so as part of this event.
tonight fate is the
Todd

Post by Todd »

Jumping in and answering this, since we actually just discussed this very question, haha.

This is a good question! It can be an unfinished existing site!

It can also be a fanlisting that's already up with no shrine content. All you'd have to do is write content to introduce the subject so you have the bare minimum, and you can begin!

The focus of this event is creating active sites that will grow over time. Whether you have a little bit up already makes little difference. Hope this helps.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Excellent, thank you!

Follow-up question: since it's such a long event and this seems like one that will lend itself to working on bits and pieces of things over time, can we sign up for multiple sites, or just one at a time?
tonight fate is the
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

You can have multiple Construction Zone projects going--just sign up for one at a time, uploading at least the bare minimum of layout and pages before signing up for another topic. :)
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

What about a site you're currently redesigning? ie: Could I sign up with a fully finished existing site that I plan on rewriting all the content for?

I'm not sure I'll actually do this, but I figured I'd ask in case. I have a lot of old sites that I plan on redoing so I may want to consider it in the future. I'm not sure if I'd leave up the old content in a new layout or just start the site off as if it was brand new. ^^
Todd

Post by Todd »

wolfrun wrote:What about a site you're currently redesigning? ie: Could I sign up with a fully finished existing site that I plan on rewriting all the content for?

I'm not sure I'll actually do this, but I figured I'd ask in case. I have a lot of old sites that I plan on redoing so I may want to consider it in the future. I'm not sure if I'd leave up the old content in a new layout or just start the site off as if it was brand new. ^^
Hey, Laura! Unfortunately, a fully finished existing site would not work for this, even if you plan to rewrite everything. Worry not, though! The Events Team is actually cooking up some amazing Revamp-related stuff that will be debuting soon. Your project would be perfect for that.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Todd wrote:Hey, Laura! Unfortunately, a fully finished existing site would not work for this, even if you plan to rewrite everything. Worry not, though! The Events Team is actually cooking up some amazing Revamp-related stuff that will be debuting soon. Your project would be perfect for that.
Awesome, good to know! :) Thanks Todd!
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

This sounds like such a cool idea! I will most likely be participating. :)

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

You can definitely have a one page site with these three sections to start off with :)
withinmyworld.org