She Who Lies Between

Updates and input on ongoing projects, shrines, and revamps!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Emma
Time Traveler

She Who Lies Between

Post by Emma »

My domain namesake finally has her site up! I have a couple of sections done, although they were mostly written a while ago so they could well change a bit as I work on the rest of the site. I'm still undecided on exactly how to lay out my content and sections, so that might all change too. Anyway, it's a start.
a spoony bard
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: She Who Lies Between

Post by Robin »

Lovely design! I like the different navigation hover colors and symbols <3 Also, the way you've formatted the quotes looks awesome--really draws the eye.

(Bonus: even now, the site doesn't feel bare-bones to me at all, because you've already got several content areas up!)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Oh man, Emma, this looks fantastic! I LOVE the different textures you used for the layout, they're really gorgeous and keep the layout very visually interesting as you read through the page.

I also really love how entertaining your writing is, as always. Your introduction to Rydia is lovely and that dig on Fusoya, oh my god. FF4, man. FF4.

Can't wait to see the rest! :heart:
tonight fate is the
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

EMMAAAA, this is FANTASTIC SO FAR. First of all, I can't stop admiring the layout! The colors! The image! The patterns! The little extra images of Rydia. Ahh, it's all so lovely and works perfectly together.

Love what you've written so far! I thought it was easy to follow for someone who hasn't played the game yet. I love the little screenshots you've added too alongside some of the written content. It's really great, and I'm really glad to see you're making a site to her! :D

I love the little spoiler mention because I haven't played the game, but I did read through everything anyway since I know a bit about the game already. I bought it for DS within the last year so I'm going to try to start it soon! Then I will be able to follow future sections better! :D :D
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Emma, I'm such a huge fan of your layouts omg... I want to live in them. So many of them have such a special soft quality to them, and how you manage to make things look colourful and balanced, and the way you use textures, patterns, etc. and how you add details is asdjklajdl. THIS COLOUR PALETTE IS EVERYTHING. (Also sob I really should experiment with backgrounds on headings again; you always make layouts that are extra pretty because of those.) I also love the site name. <3

I love your intro/Rydia page - I feel like it says not only a lot about Rydia, but also the game, and already gives you an introduction to the story, all of it in a casual way. One of my favourite intro pages on a shrine probably. <3 I RAGEQUIT FFIV BC I PLAYED IT LATE OK, I know it's all about "first FF to have good story!" or something, but all those characters dying off left and right without making me feel anything about them just made me headdesk.

"And the two are imposing figures in their armour - and Cecil is a Dark Knight to boot." lmao

I think the bit you added about her aging and whether or not it affects her personality on the Personality page is super interesting, especially because I wouldn't have expected that on a personality page. But it fits right in. <3

Really looking forward to the rest - everything under Summoner and "Changes" in particular.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

:D Thank you everyone!

@Robin - haha I think the quotes are my favourite part about the layout, to be honest. SO I'M REALLY HAPPY YOU NOTICED AND MENTIONED THEM.

@Larissa - what even is this game istg. I can't write 100% seriously about it.

@Megan - yes, do play! I think it's a pretty alright game, would recommend. ;)

@Lethe - Final Fantasy IV is a ridiculous game, and while I love it a lot, I totally understand why someone would ragequit it tbh. I also still sometimes forget to remove the nice armour from characters before they fake die or go all curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal (again) on you. Deep sigh.

And on the layout, I've been actively trying to make them more visually appealing, especially when it's a long page of text. I find that super nice minimalist look hard to pull off so I'm just COLOURS AND TEXTURES AND EVERYTHING.

Also, I've legit seen people online say they consider Rydia still has the mentality of a seven year old even after she returns (which I obviously disagree with) and then still sexualise her in the next sentence and I'm just :/ :/ :/
a spoony bard
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

The layout is gorgeous! I really love it! :heart: I love the textures, the colours, the hover effects on the menu and the little Rydia everywhere!

I don't know anything about Rydia, so reading the first couple of sections was fun and informative! I also really want to play Final Fantasy IV for DS now...

Great job and I look forward to the rest! :D
Laura

Post by Laura »

Ahhh your site is gorgeous, Emma!! I love the colour choices and the patterns... and the colours ON the patterns~ I also absolutely love the small navigation bar at the bottom of the page. The borders you have for your images and blockquotes are really nice touches and I love the text formatting in general. <3
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

@Chibi - thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it even if you're unfamiliar with Rydia. I hope you pick up FFIV sometime, too. ;)

@Laura - also thank you! All that time I spent playing with the CSS for this layout has paid off. ;)
a spoony bard
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Hooray for domain namesake shrines! Looks amazing Emma! :D
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.