Game That Made You Ragequit?

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Robin
Events Staffer

Game That Made You Ragequit?

Post by Robin »

What game made you ragequit? Did you ever try to pick it up again?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Re: Game That Made You Ragequit?

Post by Laura »

There's been a few that have made me ragequit because I died and then had to repeat a lot of content over again and I just couldn't be bothered. I usually come back after I get my energy back though. xD

Usually stuff that makes me ragequit is pvp related. The last one that made me really flip was Star Wars Battlefront. I was SO excited for the game to come out that I had actually pre-purchased it when it was announced. I played in the beta and did alright but when the game was actually released, I played for a few days and couldn't handle being completely ganked over and over and over. >.< I know FPS games are like that but this was just brutal. I thought the level up system in it would be awesome but all it ended up doing was creating a completely unfair advantage for players who were able to spend more time on the game and get better weapons and abilities.

I actually tried to get a refund since I hadn't played for too long but Origin told me that they wouldn't refund me because I had made the purchase months ago. e_______________e THANKS EA. That just made me more pissed off! xD I spent like freakin $80 on that stupid game! Thank goodness I didn't buy the season pass... what a ripoff.

That being said, I might actually try to go back and play now. It's been a long time and there might be some other game modes that are more fun to play. We'll see!

What about you, Robin? :O
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I was disappointed by Skyrim and Knights of the Old Republic, but I wouldn't say I ragequit any games though, because I usually quit and play something else long before I'm close to rage. I love Star Wars but Knights didn't live up to the hype, probably because I played it pretty late and it felt slow and blocky. When I played Skyrim it was still fairly new, but the style just wasn't my thing, since I prefer flashy, pretty RPGs like Final Fantasy, so I got bored of Skyrim pretty quickly as well. Goes to show you can't play based on hype or franchise, as opposed to gameplay style, because you'll be disappointed if it's not your style. I'm not really into a lot of different genres. ^^;;
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@wolfrun: Never heard of that game, but what you describe sounds like what several FPS games suffer from--the newbs get shot to pieces while the experienced players go around owning everything in sight, and there's no way to really level up quick enough to get out ahead of the experienced ones if you're newer to the game. >_< Soooooo annoying. (See: 007 GoldenEye, Halo, etc. I got shot so many times trying to learn those games over at a friend's house that I ragequit without even having the system or the game, LOLOL)

@Mikari: I hadn't heard anybody really criticize Skyrim or SWTOR before--refreshing! And you've definitely got a point: the most hyped/most well-known of franchises don't always mean that the games based on them are going to be good. :)

As for me, I have ragequit so many games over the years it's only mildly funny. A partial list:

- Yoshi's Safari (couldn't get the gun to work with the TV...lol)
- Pikmin 2 (trying to control and keep track of TWO characters = NOPE. And I really wanted to like this game!!
- Hey You Pikachu (microphone of fail and arg)
- The Sims 2 for Gamecube (REALLY I HAVE TO MAKE THEM EVEN GO TO THE BATHROOM OR THEY DIE WTF)
- FarmVille (so...many...time-sensitive...harvests...ack)
- Luigi's Mansion (I hate sudden jumpscare-like enemy attacks, especially when the resulting attack sends me all the way back to the front of the mansion)
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

Mikari wrote:I was disappointed by Skyrim and Knights of the Old Republic, but I wouldn't say I ragequit any games though, because I usually quit and play something else long before I'm close to rage. I love Star Wars but Knights didn't live up to the hype, probably because I played it pretty late and it felt slow and blocky. When I played Skyrim it was still fairly new, but the style just wasn't my thing, since I prefer flashy, pretty RPGs like Final Fantasy, so I got bored of Skyrim pretty quickly as well. Goes to show you can't play based on hype or franchise, as opposed to gameplay style, because you'll be disappointed if it's not your style. I'm not really into a lot of different genres. ^^;;
I've heard a lot of people say they're super disappointed with SWTOR, myself included. I think it ended up feeling more like a solo player experience rather than an MMO. I didn't mind it too much cuz I usually end up playing through solo till max level anyway but you're right, it moved slowly. After it went F2P I was so mad at their monetization model that I didn't wanna bother. xD It's gotten better since so one day I might go back for the story but I can't be bothered either. I liked Skyrim though~
CuriousLittleBird wrote:@wolfrun: Never heard of that game, but what you describe sounds like what several FPS games suffer from--the newbs get shot to pieces while the experienced players go around owning everything in sight, and there's no way to really level up quick enough to get out ahead of the experienced ones if you're newer to the game. >_< Soooooo annoying. (See: 007 GoldenEye, Halo, etc. I got shot so many times trying to learn those games over at a friend's house that I ragequit without even having the system or the game, LOLOL)
It's pretty new, just launched at the end of last year... and it's tanking baaaaadly. It seemed promising at first but people are complaining about a lot of things it lacks. I'm terrible at FPS games but I played Battlefield 3 for a while... I kinda like them, mostly to play with all my friends. But I SUCK. XD Once I couldn't find the guy who shot at me so I ran around in circles just firing my weapon everywhere. I died, and laughed so hard at the replay cuz the guy was just watching me run around like a chicken with its head cut off. XD They can be fun even if you're bad! ahahahaha
CuriousLittleBird wrote:As for me, I have ragequit so many games over the years it's only mildly funny. A partial list:

- Yoshi's Safari (couldn't get the gun to work with the TV...lol)
- Pikmin 2 (trying to control and keep track of TWO characters = NOPE. And I really wanted to like this game!!
- Hey You Pikachu (microphone of fail and arg)
- The Sims 2 for Gamecube (REALLY I HAVE TO MAKE THEM EVEN GO TO THE BATHROOM OR THEY DIE WTF)
- FarmVille (so...many...time-sensitive...harvests...ack)
- Luigi's Mansion (I hate sudden jumpscare-like enemy attacks, especially when the resulting attack sends me all the way back to the front of the mansion)
OMG SIMS 2 WHAT. You seriously had to order the sims to go to the toilet or they'd die?!??! O_O OMG that is such bad game design, wow, I'd ragequit that pretty hard too.

I lol'd at your Luigi's Mansion ragequit xDDD I have it, it's a cute game but I didn't get too far into it to really get into jump-scare tactics. I HATE THOSE~ It's so funny to think about ragequitting something like this game but I'd probably do it too... ahaha xD
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Platformers usually make me rage a lot, but they're not my go-to games, so it's usually random platformers that I try out that make me ragequit.

I usually drop games when I think they aren't worth the time because they either do not appeal to me or I'm severely disappointed with the story, and there's usually some rage involved over lost time and lost money, but I wouldn't call it ragequitting per se, I guess. (As in, a defining moment of rage lmao.)

I ragequit Kingdom Hearts re:coded after holding on for 10 hours though, I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to pick it up despite having zero interest in it and all the reviews telling me not to (well, I wanted to play through the entire series, and this was missing <_<). Eventually, I reached Hollow Bastion and they wanted me to perform a series of jumps and activate some switches or something like that, except... It was timed. And the controls in this game made me go asdjkladjlad. So I was just: YOU CAN BURN IN HELL. And dropped it.

I think I also raged a lot when playing Eternal Sonata - I remember falling in love with its design when it was released, and desperately wanting to play it, though I didn't have an Xbox or a PS3 at that time. Manyyyyy years later I finally got to play on the PS3 and purchased it. But the unforgiving gameplay and atrocious writing had me rage nonstop until I decided it's better for my mood to just let it go. :( Still lost 16 hours though. I think the same thing happened with Avalon Code. ;_;

I also ragequit The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword a whole while ago (last year?) siiigh. I got to a difficult area where the world is frozen in time and you need to collect a certain amount of items spread over the enclosed area, except there are statues in that area that chase you. You can temporarily freeze time by picking up some items, and the statues will come to a halt, but the freeze-time items are limited, so you have to plan out your route... There's jumping and other things involved too - OH YEAH AND SLIDING DOWN HILLS AND I DO NOT HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER THE DIRECTION WHILE SLIDING - and asdjladjlad. I'm sorry, I cannot focus when there are things chasing me, I AM SO AAJSDKLJALDJAL SCARED, I can't plan out my route when I'm panicked. I'M THE GIRL WHO SCREAMS WHEN SHE FALLS INTO A POND WITH AN ELECTRIFYING FISH IN APE ESCAPE, THROWS THE CONTROLLER DOWN AND HIDES UNDER THE BLANKET OR RUNS OUT OF THE ROOM, what made you think I'd be prepared for this. Did I mention everything is dark and bleak in that trial area and the music is unsettling????

=/ I got far into the game though and am very bitter I had to quit because of that level.

@wolfrun: Wow, that doesn't sound like a fun experience at all, and so much moneyyyyy.

@Robin: lmao I'd ragequit too, ugh jump scares.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I actually rarely ragequit a game, but I did with Mirror's Edge. I so SO wanted to love that game, but I just couldn't stick with it. It's a difficult game, and that normally wouldn't bother me, but I just couldn't get any better at it and it felt like I'd finally complete a jump or whatever and then have to engage in the terrible combat system and it was just a super frustrating game to play. Even on the Easy setting I found it ridiculously difficult.

I'm actually looking forward to the sequel, though. Like I said, I really wanted to love this game and I hope they polish the gameplay and make some better design choices. I'm HOPING it's like how much better the Assassin's Creed games got after the first one - I didn't much rage quit AC, it was far too boring for that. But AC2 and Brotherhood are two of my favourite games ever. So Mirrors Edge Catalyst, please be like that!

I actually loved SWTOR but I played about 95% of that as a solo game, to be sure. KOTOR I still love, but it hasn't aged that well. I actually rage quit my last replay of KOTOR because my saved bugged out and I couldn't progress and the previous save I had was like 15 hours before. I was maaaaad.

And Robin, I'd completely forgotten about the Sims 2 on Gamecube! That was such a disappointing purchase. :|
a spoony bard
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

On the subject of games ragequit (or just quit) hours in, I got stuck on the rope tug event well into Breath of Fire 3 and quit. It felt so out of place so far into the game and it was a real pity because I was loving the game up to that point. I tried BoF4 but didn't get into it. Legend of Dragoon always seemed like a good one, but it's so old the graphics take me out of the experience despite its positive aspects. Polygons definitely don't age as well as pixels. I'm hoping for an HD remake of LoD, that would be so amazing.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

There are a few games that have made me ragequit. Sometimes it helps if I take a break from it and try again later when I'm not so angry but other times I'll never touch the game again. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon made me ragequit so hard that I never picked it up again. Final Fantasy X is also another one. The only one I remember picking up again after ragequitting was The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Emma wrote: And Robin, I'd completely forgotten about the Sims 2 on Gamecube! That was such a disappointing purchase. :|
YES! I loved SimCity (and SimFarm, which I only played at school back in the DAYYYYY--like 1997-1998 school year), so I was super bummed when my first Sims game for a console was THAT flying piece of flaming donkey crap. I actually haven't picked up any games for the franchise since ^_^;

and I am roflmao right now over my (accurate) description of The Sims 2 because I am lame and laugh at my own jokes
Crystal wrote:Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon made me ragequit so hard that I never picked it up again.
Oh wow, I didn't know they released another Luigi's Mansion game! (as if the first wasn't crazy enough--basically Resident Evil for Nintendo characters -_-) What specifically made you ragequit?
Lethe wrote: OH YEAH AND SLIDING DOWN HILLS AND I DO NOT HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER THE DIRECTION WHILE SLIDING - and asdjladjlad. I'm sorry, I cannot focus when there are things chasing me, I AM SO AAJSDKLJALDJAL SCARED, I can't plan out my route when I'm panicked. I'M THE GIRL WHO SCREAMS WHEN SHE FALLS INTO A POND WITH AN ELECTRIFYING FISH IN APE ESCAPE, THROWS THE CONTROLLER DOWN AND HIDES UNDER THE BLANKET OR RUNS OUT OF THE ROOM, what made you think I'd be prepared for this. Did I mention everything is dark and bleak in that trial area and the music is unsettling????
YES SOMEBODY ELSE GETS IT

I avoid games that scare me or make me panic because the objectives are so impossible. Timed missions, for instance, unless there is a ridiculously long time limit, make me freeze. (there are a couple of levels in Super Mario 64 I will nEVER do again because of this)

And things chasing me while I'm trying to do a timed mission and/or super creepy/scary music plays? HELLLLLLLNOPENOPENOPENOPE DONE SELL THAT GAME BACK BYE FELICIA LOL
withinmyworld.org