Pokemon X and Y

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Juhi

Re: Pokemon X and Y

Post by Juhi »

I agree with Varen on how new types would mess up the IV system. That's pretty much the backbone of how Pokemon works. New types would just over-complicate the system. Perhaps I gave the balance a little too much credit (though I think Poison type got a little more useful in the recent generation). However, I still think it's better than what was presented in RBY. Again, that's the main reason why Dark and Steels were introduced. I'd rather Nintendo put more resources in tweaking and improving the current game mechanics than dwell uncharted ground, which I'm sure they'll do.

I'm rather intrigued about the possibility of customizing your character. From initial videos, it looks like you can add glasses, hats, etc. I hope Nintendo doesn't go too overboard in customization, but a little personal flare can't hurt.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Umm...sooo...has everyone seen the new Mewtwo thing? I would say Mewthree...that brings back memories from the late 90's... xD
Varen

Post by Varen »

At first I was a little "ehhh" about the poster art, but seeing the trailer now, I think it looks pretty cool. Supposedly called the "Eclair Form" or something, which is nice and relating to Europe. I like the more feminine approach they went with him.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Eclairs mmmmmmm.

Yeah, I feel like with B/W everything was really masculine. Too many dragons and stuff. There were some girly ones but the dark feel to it, it just feels more suped up than what it used to be.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

(please skip if you are enthusiastic about the mewthree, I don't want to piss into anyone's breakfast)
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Sorry to be always the beam of sunshine, but with this Mewtwo thing I'm officially divorced from Pokémon...

It's just, if they made something completely new, that would be okay with me. Well, I wouldn't like it at this point, but I would be able to say, I don't like the new things anymore, but still be a fan of the old ones. But now, they took my fucking FAVORITE CHARACTER and added some shit that I can't ignore nor forgive for the sake of milking the goddamn cash cow. And I know that Pokémon has always been a cash cow but...don't they have some shame or respect for their fans? I have so many good memories about the Mewtwo fandom. I met Denise that way, after all...I hoped I could always looked back at that with a happy tear in my eye, but fuck no, I am not even allowed to have that. Pokémon for me right now is like a spiteful ex that, not content to dump you, destroys all of your stuff and shits in it before giving it back.

(also sorry, I have the mouth of a seaport worker)
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

^ This.
Varen

Post by Varen »

I agree that Mewtwo is a rather overused Pokemon, but I'm kinda okay with the new form. We don't know much about it to make assumptions, and for all we know, it could be cool! But I understand your disappointment, but I do hope you don't completely leave Pokemon! Gen 6 might bring some fun to replace the wounds~
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I know that I won't be getting either of the Gen 6 games, mostly because I don't own a 3DS, but also because I wasn't thrilled with White2. I was excited to get it and to try it, I read reviews on it where it got practically perfect marks, but I just don't think it's so great as it was hyped up to be. I realize that I am able to appreciate new Pokemon and designs without having the spend money on playing a game that I feel is just a rehash of the couple that I already own. That's just how I feel about that.

From an artist's perspective, I just feel like most of the new designs are lacking. I feel like they lack personality and depth, they seem rushed. Granted, Gen 1 wasn't all winners: Voltorb, Magnemite, and Grimer to name a few. But in Gen5 I feel like they are repeating ideas from Gen 1. Throw back on purpose? I don't know. (Mushroom that looks like a PokeBall = Voltorb)

However, I did respect the fact that Gen 5 was trying to do all new Pokemon and not create additional evolutions and forms for older Pokemon. I'm kind of sad to see them doing that again in Gen 6 which makes me worry that it's going to have a ton of unnecessary evolutions for pre-existing Pokemon again. While it's cool to see them, I just think that it's limiting and filler. Are these evolutions you wanted to do before or are you just out of ideas? :\

I don't know if I'm making sense. I kind of just sound bitter. LOL. But, I'll still love Pokemon even if I don't buy the games and completely agree with all their designs. After all, I don't own the series so I shouldn't be upset about it. ^^;
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Destinie wrote:I know that I won't be getting either of the Gen 6 games, mostly because I
From an artist's perspective, I just feel like most of the new designs are lacking. I feel like they lack personality and depth, they seem rushed. Granted, Gen 1 wasn't all winners: Voltorb, Magnemite, and Grimer to name a few. But in Gen5 I feel like they are repeating ideas from Gen 1. Throw back on purpose? I don't know. (Mushroom that looks like a PokeBall = Voltorb)
For the part apart the artists lacking in design, i totally agree! my sister got me black version for my birthday this year, and none of the new pokemon really reach out to me anymore like the old ones... none of the birds in that game are pretty/cool and idk x_x;; The ice cream pokemon? like really? i dunno. akfjlaksfjla. I'll always be a fan of the original legendary birds and the original set of pokemon the most!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Megan wrote:
Destinie wrote:I know that I won't be getting either of the Gen 6 games, mostly because I
For the part apart the artists lacking in design, i totally agree! my sister got me black version for my birthday this year, and none of the new pokemon really reach out to me anymore like the old ones... none of the birds in that game are pretty/cool and idk x_x;; The ice cream pokemon? like really? i dunno. akfjlaksfjla. I'll always be a fan of the original legendary birds and the original set of pokemon the most!
Yeah. But granted, there are several in Gen 5 that I like: Deerling, Sigilyph, Purrloin/Liepard, and Keldeo and Victini grew on me. But there were some ideas that looked like they were going somewhere really cool and then just ended up being kind of lame. Like the red alligator thing. The first stage was cool and then it stood on two legs, hmm ok, I can kind of see that. And then they just made it red...? That's one of the cases where I feel like the thought process was kind of lost when they were working on the designs. Another would be Beartic. It's just a polar bear with an icicle beard, IDK.

Well, to get back on topic about X and Y, lolz! I do enjoy seeing what kind of stuff they are coming out with. I'm curious to see the trainer designs, actually. I really wish they made customizeable characters. Fans have been wanting that for years. That'd be a huge leap for them, in my opinion.