About Blast From the Past

From August 2014 to the end of January 2015, participate in eight of our best and most memorable shrine marathons!
Todd

About Blast From the Past

Post by Todd »

Image Hey, Amassment! Our challenge for the second half of 2014 is officially on. Welcome to Blast From the Past!

We ask for your ideas and feedback regarding events every year. One of the comments we get the most is, "I wish you would run ____ again." Maybe you weren't around when an event debuted. Maybe you were busy and couldn't participate in an event when it ran. Maybe you did participate, and had such a good time that you want to do the event again. Lucky for you, Amassment is going back in time!

For this challenge, we are bringing back eight of our best and most memorable events:

Girl Mode! (2009) – The lovely Shiori organized and ran Girl Mode, one of our most successful and talked about marathons ever. In an interweb dominated by shrines to male characters, Shiori wanted to show that female characters are just as loved. The goal of Girl Mode is to create shrines to female characters and personalities from all forms of media.

OTP Marathon (2010) – The very much missed Airi ran the OTP marathon, aspiring to increase the amount of shrines online dedicated to relationships, regardless of the form of media. The OTP Marathon showed love to love.

Live-Action Shrine Marathon (2010) – The inspiring Karen ran the Live-Action Shrine Marathon. An absence of shrines dedicated to movie and TV show-related subjects was noticed, and the Live-Action Shrine Marathon was made to combat it. A site to an actor, a movie character, a TV show character, and even a live-action relationship was created.

The Darker Side Villains Marathon (2010-2011) – The shrine beast Larissa organized and ran the Villains Marathon at Amassment. Passionate about villains, as evidenced in some of her own well-known villains shrines, she wanted to see more sites made to these multidimensional, interesting characters. Sites were made to villains from a variety of forms of media.

Fanlisting to Shrine Marathon (2011) – The dynamic duo, Jackie and Marie, ran the Fanlisting to Shrine Marathon. Members were challenged to expand an existing fanlisting into a shrine. This event, building a bridge between the fanlising and shrine communities was pretty awesome.

General Series Fansite Marathon (2011-2012) – The beloved (and missed!) Ava ran the General Series Fansite Marathon. This marathon existed to increase the amount of sites dedicated to entire subjects of media instead of just characters. Want to shrine a movie, a video game, or an entire series? Many members did with amazing sites.

Minor Character Fansite Marathon (2012) – The Minor Character Fansite Marathon was the first marathon ran by the Amassment Events Team. That team was comprised of Sofia, Juhi, Josephine, and myself. Juhi and Josephine are no longer on our team, but they worked hard to make this event a success. This event was also the last event to run on Livejournal, as we switched over to the message boards. The goal, as our creative marathon title implies ;), was to shrine minor characters from all forms of media.

Paperback Marathon (2013) – The Paperback Marathon was ran by our Events Team, and was led by our awesome staffer Sofia. It was Amassment's first event to run here at the boards, so it was very much a trial and error kind of thing. Luckily and thankfully, there was very little error, and the marathon was a success. The goal of the Paperback Marathon was the create sites to subjects from paperback mediums – comics, manga, and books.

If you are confused about a marathon, please check out our Events and Marathons page at the directory, where you can find information about all of our events. While each event had its own rules, we mainly just want to take the purpose and goal of each event. We will be using our normal Challenge guidelines introduced with the Creature Feature Challenge. You guys are also free to ask about any marathon, or really anything regarding this challenge in comments to this post.

Guidelines

You may sign up anytime during the course of the challenge.

Your shrine must have at least five articles/essays. This is a new rule for events, but one we want to implement so that we can allow one page shrines to be made for this challenge (We didn't allow them in previous marathons). As long as you have at least five informative or opinionated sections, your shrine can be any size. Shrining a major character and want to make a monster of a site? Awesome. Is the character you're considering more minor, and you just want to make a one pager? That's cool, too.

You may make as many shrines as you'd like during the challenge, but must sign up for each one. Since there is no sign-up deadline, and you can sign up anytime during the challenge, we will only approve one sign-up per member at a time. When you finish and plug a shrine, you may sign up for another. Six months is a long time for an event. We hope several of you make more than one shrine!

Sign-Up

Submit

You can submit your shrine anytime after it is completed. Simply plug your shrine in a new post to this forum. You can talk about your shrine, ask for feedback, or write anything you want in the message area, but your shrine must be linked with a 100x35 button. We'll collect these and link completed shrines below. If you need help posting a button, PM a staffer, and we'll help you out!

Please title the subject of your submission post the name of your shrine. For example, if I was plugging Amassment, the subject of my post would be "Amassment".

Completed Shrines

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Need 100x35 buttons from these sites:
Dark Star Senpai Noticed Me!

Challenge Quick Info
  • Challenge period: August 1, 2014 - February 1, 2015
  • Events Staff contact for this challenge: Crystal.
  • Sign-Up post: Here.
Todd

Questions!

Post by Todd »

I presented a lot of info in this Challenge, so do not be ashamed or afraid to ask a question if something is confusing or unclear. I will be expanding on some guidelines for the more particular marathons below, as issues come to my attention.
Todd

Fanlisting to Shrine Marathon

Post by Todd »

When the Fanlisting to Shrine Marathon first debuted, a guideline was set stating that a fanlisting had to already exist. That was due to the short time the marathon was set to run. This challenge, however, is running for six months, and we realize that's plenty of time to sign up for a fanlisting and get approved. We love fanlistings, and love seeing fanlisting webmasters get into shrines, and shrine webmasters get into fanlistings. We're not going to be too picky here. You can sign up to shrine a subject for a fanlisting you have on upcoming. Please make sure you are approved for your subject by TFL or TAFL before signing up to participate in Fanlisting to Shrine here, though.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: About Blast From the Past

Post by Larissa »

So I have a question.

I have a couple sites (some created for these challenges, some not) that are in need of revamps. Can I do these revamps as part of this event? I ask mostly because working on it as part of an event is helpful for motivation.

If necessary I can add 5 (or however many more) sections to the site to make it considered part of the event; the sites I'm taking about either need to be revamped from the ground up and completely rewritten (...Kefka), or have a bunch of pages that need adding anyway. (For example, I'm in the middle of working on a revamp right now for this site, which I made for the OTP marathon back in 2010 but never finished -- I'm finally writing all those upcoming pages, expanding it, etc.)

I understand if you guys would rather only have completely new sites, but since this is a throwback marathon anyway I thought I'd ask. o/ Thanks!

(also shrine beast, omfg... :swt: )
tonight fate is the
Todd

Post by Todd »

Can I sign up with a site I'm already working on?

Yep! As long as it's not up yet and you have work to do, we'll be happy to let you use Blast From the Past for motivation to finish it up.

Can I sign up with my One Page One Month subject?

Yes! Your site can participate in that marathon and this Challenge. You will receive participation coins for each. Your 1P1M subject will not count as your one sign-up, so you can sign up for an additional subject as well. We realize 1P1M subjects will be mostly for crosslinking.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Larissa wrote:So I have a question.

I have a couple sites (some created for these challenges, some not) that are in need of revamps. Can I do these revamps as part of this event? I ask mostly because working on it as part of an event is helpful for motivation.

If necessary I can add 5 (or however many more) sections to the site to make it considered part of the event; the sites I'm taking about either need to be revamped from the ground up and completely rewritten (...Kefka), or have a bunch of pages that need adding anyway. (For example, I'm in the middle of working on a revamp right now for this site, which I made for the OTP marathon back in 2010 but never finished -- I'm finally writing all those upcoming pages, expanding it, etc.)

I understand if you guys would rather only have completely new sites, but since this is a throwback marathon anyway I thought I'd ask. o/ Thanks!

(also shrine beast, omfg... :swt: )
lol I meant shrine beast affectionately. You've been kicking butt lately with all your new sites. Such an inspiration. It's a compliment, lol.

This is a great idea. I'm down for shrine revamps if they are full revamps, where you add new content and rewrite most of your content, not just change your layout. I like your idea of adding five new pages to comply. So sure, why not. :)

Oh, also, Larissa, I need to add your Kefka shrine back to Sabin's affiliates. I took it down when rhapsodos went down because I thought you took the shrine down. I'll update your link. I'm super excited about the Kefka revamp!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

LMAO I got it was a compliment! It was just unexpected, haha.

But awesome! This will help me finish these revamps I've been meaning to do for so long. Thanks for letting me do them as part of the marathon, I really appreciate it.

(And oh, thanks! I haven't updated links... or anything... on Kefka in actual years, sob; I'll do it when I revamp the site. It's changed URLs a lot but it's actually been consistently online for 7 years. It just... really needs to be completely overhauled :cry: )
tonight fate is the
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

*RAISES HAND!* :cry:

Okay, so I have a couple of quick questions! ALWAYS with the questions, I feel. :ack2:

For the The Darker Side Villains Marathon , are we talking inherently evil? I mean, can we do antagonists for this? Although most people find the two synonymous the truth is that antagonist doesn’t need to mean villain. So, I was wondering how we defined villain here. Do villains that become good guys count for this marathon? Magus from Chrono Trigger is a good example here – would he be acceptable (not that I have any intentions of shrining him just looking for a common example). Seifer from VIII would be another example, arrogant and a pain, but not inherently evil. Antagonizing though! But the title itself makes me think that you mean evil through and through.

For the Minor Character Fansite Marathon how do we define minor character? I’ve been struggling with this quite a bit. There are several characters I’d like to shrine but I don’t know if they would be minor characters? I’m thinking supporting role (I saw Henry on the submission list) so I’m wondering how we define minor character in terms of Fire Emblem? Is this just a lesser known character type thing? I'm wondering if I just have a messed up version of minor character? ALSO, because I'm a jerk; you mean lesser known not underage, right?

I think that’s all, thanks! :content:
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Todd

Post by Todd »

SnowRayjah wrote:For the The Darker Side Villains Marathon , are we talking inherently evil? I mean, can we do antagonists for this? Although most people find the two synonymous the truth is that antagonist doesn’t need to mean villain. So, I was wondering how we defined villain here. Do villains that become good guys count for this marathon? Magus from Chrono Trigger is a good example here – would he be acceptable (not that I have any intentions of shrining him just looking for a common example). Seifer from VIII would be another example, arrogant and a pain, but not inherently evil. Antagonizing though! But the title itself makes me think that you mean evil through and through.
Quoting Larissa from the original marathon: "Because villains can be rather loosely defined, we're going by the idea that a villain is someone who's opposed the protagonist at some point during the plot*. They may go through character development and turn to the good side (or bad, depending on the plot), or they may spend the entire series trying to decide whether or not to become good or evil and end up with evil. Your villain could also be the protagonist (if, for example, the character is the lead in a series about a serial killer)."

Magus and Seifer would absolutely work. :)
SnowRayjah wrote:For the Minor Character Fansite Marathon how do we define minor character? I’ve been struggling with this quite a bit. There are several characters I’d like to shrine but I don’t know if they would be minor characters? I’m thinking supporting role (I saw Henry on the submission list) so I’m wondering how we define minor character in terms of Fire Emblem? Is this just a lesser known character type thing? I'm wondering if I just have a messed up version of minor character? ALSO, because I'm a jerk; you mean lesser known not underage, right?
lol, Yes, less important, not underage. Henry is a minor character in Fire Emblem because while playable, he doesn't drive the story. I'd consider Chrom, Lucina, and Robin main characters. Everyone else is minor. This will be on a case by case basis, though. If you are worried your character isn't minor, you can always ask me, but if you feel your character is minor and can argue your case, I'll likely let you participate. We try to be easy going here. As long as sites are being made and you feel good about participating, I'm happy.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

:heart: Thank you, Todd! I was leaning towards antagonist so I wasn't sure it would fit. I'm glad to see it does though!! Thank you, also, for the extra clarification about lead characters. Very much appreciated.

So, basically story driving characters don't count? Thanks! :content:
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.