"Shrining for Newbies"

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Re: "Shrining for Newbies"

Post by Destinie »

Thanks everyone for your responses! I wanted to make sure that everyone has a chance to respond (who wants to) before closing the topic. Hope to post something on our site in the next couple of weeks. :)
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

It's not, unfortunately, but we do have plans to put one together to display on the directory itself, along with other info that'd be useful. I'm very glad you were able to find this topic though, and I'm glad it's helping you! (This motivates us to finally get one such page up and running too haha.)
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I sort of dropped the ball on this, I'm sorry! I was waiting for everyone who wanted to pitch in and then craft a page. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. :)
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hope it's not too late to share my opinion! :)

What got you into shrines?
The number one thing that got me into shrines: lack of information concentrated in one place. Back in the late 90's, Wikipedia didn't exist so information was usually sporradic at best and often incorrect. I wanted to gather all the accurate information and media about my favourite characters and provide it in one place for other fans to access. I also wanted to show my love for my favourites too, of course!

What is a shrine to you?
A shrine is a tribute to something loved that provides information and personal insight into the topic.

What are your top "must haves" in your shrines?
Accurate information is the biggest "must have" for my shrines. I also like to include background information about the series the character is from so that people who aren't familiar with the character/series can have some understanding of what's being discussed on the site. I always have to have at least a gallery as well and a music/lyrics section when possible; it's about providing all types of resources possible to other fans. I usually like to include "fun" sections as well, like look alikes, quizzes, etc.

What do you like to see in other people's shrines?
Unique and plentiful content, accurate information and why the author thinks the way they do about the topic they're enshrining.

What advice would you have for someone who is making their first shrine?
There is absolutely no wrong way to make a shrine. It can be a very daunting task to try to cover every single aspect of your favourite character or series! So it's okay to start small and work your way up by adding additional content later. The important thing is that you are creating something that reflects your love for your topic. Shrines don't have to be limited to characters or series either... if you really like a song, write about that! If you love a specific item from a series, gives us information about it!

Worry about your content first and design second. I say this as a professional designer: if you have never done web design before, it really, really helps to know what your content is and how many pages it will cover before you start worrying about the layouts. :)
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Thank you so much for doing this. I'm building what is officially my first shrine (I've run fansites before) and it can be a bit intimidating at times. This information is so helpful and encouraging. I truly appreciate it. :)

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant