What games have you recently completed?

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

What games have you recently completed?

Post by dubiousdisc »

We have a topic of games in progress, so here's a related but different one:

What games have you recently completed? How were they like?

---

The other day I finished Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Eirika's route, Hard mode). I'm sure that a full fansite is coming out of this, but my quick summary of this game is: now that I've finished, I really, really don't get the hate, because to be honest it was better than I'd expected and I liked it as much as Blazing Sword. It has its flaws like everything does, but they're not as major as I was expecting? For example, I've read people complaining that the writing is bland and stale and honestly... This game had a lot more subtlety in the writing than I'd expected. It actually raised a few points that I haven't seen much in games.

I'd say that its main flaw is that it starts really slow and the first characters that are introduced (main characters aside) are the worst ones of the game in terms of writing and presence. I can see how someone would drop it right there, especially if you compare the start of this game with the start of Blazing Sword, and then you'd be left with having only experienced the worst part of the game to judge it against... It's okay, though. I can assure you that pretty much any other character is better and gets a better presentation than those, so keep going, it gets stronger.

Overall: it was good and I'd recommend it, whether you are already into Fire Emblem or not.

I'll surely play it again on Ephraim's route and have even more opinions. For now, I'll go write a site about Eirika...
Mikari

Re: What games have you recently completed?

Post by Mikari »

I finished a replay of Trails in the Sky <3 I love this game more every time I play it. I also replayed part 2. The story and characters are super fun. Though it's not perfect (to say my one critique would be a spoiler though) but they are pretty close! My favorite character is Agate.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

I finally finished Persona 5 a few days ago... After over 80 hours... I have a lot of thoughts about this game but I'll try to keep it as spoiler-free as possible.

Before playing the game I heard a lot of the problems people were having it, and while I agree that the game has a few problems, overall it was a really good experience. The plot twists it spun were not really expected at all, and I like how they handled the villain characters. It does a great job at making you hate the bad guys.

It was also really refreshing playing "the bad guys" or, at least, characters that fit into the model of vigilante's. The last two games had you playing as the cool new transfer student, but this one had a whole new tune and I really enjoyed that.

Its problems revolve around a LOT of gay baiting: three characters especially have some really romantic lines, but ya still can't romance 'em. It's great to see that subtext I guess but I'd REALLY like to see a Persona game where I can date the dudes as a dude. There are also some minor translation hiccups but that's to be expected I suppose! I've seen a lot of flack aimed at the translation and English voice acting, but overall it was pretty solid. I wish I could get the Japanese voices to work on my system but there's some kind of glitch right now that's preventing me from using them. (Which HASN'T BEEN FIXED YET please fix this soon...)

I also have a huge problem with the end of Ann's Confidant, but I'll leave that discussion for a future shrine.

All the characters were actually really great, and I really enjoyed getting to know them all. Lots of shrines incoming probably!
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

ohh I love talking about recently finished games, and it's hard to find a nice place to do it so this is a cool idea for a thread! :-)

I've recently finished Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (after seeing @dubiousdisc say something about GBA Castlevania games being nice in some other thread). I had A LOT of fun with this game, and I really loved its soul shifting schtick, even though I always cringe at the prospect of having to farm 1% drops of anything.

The only major gripe I had with the game (and which stays true for and slightly aggravated in Circle of the Moon, which I'm close to beating) is that it doesn't teach the player how to do anything -- and while that's ok as far as it stimulates players to investigate the interface in order to figure things out for themselves, thus increasing the immersive effect, it's reaALLY annoying when it forces the player to look online for mechanics as essential as how the soul cycling mechanic is actually supposed to work. I didn't manage to grasp the distinction between red/blue/yellow souls until I collected at least three of which. The story was also... very bland, and I'm not sure if that's true for every Castlevania title, but this one and Circle of the Moon seem to have a very simple template of a plot that is basically an excuse for the game to happen.

The game is ultimately mindlessly fun -- and I'm okay with that. Even if the ultimate plot twist was extremely obvious, the ending was a incredibly uninteresting, and the girl I was trying to save for the past 20+ hours was so boring that I can't even remember her name, I would still recommend Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

wow too many words. I was about to talk about other games I've recently finished but I have to go now lmao.
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
GeorgyBoy

Post by GeorgyBoy »

Last one was Metro Exodus

https://zin.ai/