The Legend of Zelda

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Destinie

Re: The Legend of Zelda

Post by Destinie »

GASP. I love concept art and it's ZELDA. I...really must have it. *_* PREORDERING NOW.

On the topic of the timeline/mythology- the official timeline really confuses me because it goes down like three different alternate realities. I really prefer just thinking that each game is separate and Link is just reincarnated each time. I like Skyward Sword as a prequel but I get so lost when the timelines are if/then statements like:

-If Ganon wins then this branch
-If Link dies then this
-If Link wins then this

O_O
anon

Post by anon »

Destinie wrote:On the topic of the timeline/mythology- the official timeline really confuses me because it goes down like three different alternate realities. I really prefer just thinking that each game is separate and Link is just reincarnated each time. I like Skyward Sword as a prequel but I get so lost when the timelines are if/then statements like:

-If Link dies then this
-If Link wins then this

O_O
I think a lot of them are excuses to try to fit games into the timeline. One thing I did find as a complete ass pull are the provinces. How come the forest was called Faron Woods in Skywarrd Sword, and then the Kokiri Forest in Ocarina of Time, and then back to Faron Woods in Twilight Princess?
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Joe wrote:
Destinie wrote:On the topic of the timeline/mythology- the official timeline really confuses me because it goes down like three different alternate realities. I really prefer just thinking that each game is separate and Link is just reincarnated each time. I like Skyward Sword as a prequel but I get so lost when the timelines are if/then statements like:

-If Link dies then this
-If Link wins then this

O_O
I think a lot of them are excuses to try to fit games into the timeline. One thing I did find as a complete ass pull are the provinces. How come the forest was called Faron Woods in Skywarrd Sword, and then the Kokiri Forest in Ocarina of Time, and then back to Faron Woods in Twilight Princess?
I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out! Yeah, wtf! So they're not making games with the timeline in mind, they kind of just threw it together for the fans. I think it was Miyamoto who was like, "Well, it's not the timeline that matters, it's if you have fun playing the game!"
anon

Post by anon »

I think the whole timeline thing was conceived by the fans and Nintendo was like, "FINE OKAY LET'S TRY TO CREATE SOME SORT OF CANON WITH IT." And then came this hot mess, haha.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Hehe. I'm glad you are happy about it Destinie. I went out and got me a copy too.

Some people like to have timelines to follow. Since Link is the Hero of Time, it might help to have a timeline. I think it's kind of fun to see where and when he went on a certain journey, not that it's all that important, just a fun thing to spend time on when you have to make dinner. I also like the reincarnated idea because it works for some games. But Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are too close together and can be assumed it's the same Link (even though it is, I'm pretty sure it was stated or something). So I like to go with some Links are the same while others are different.

The if statements are hard to follow. But in Ocarina of Time they make sense cause Link was sealed for seven years then defeated Ganon then time restored itself. So it would make sense that some journeys happened instead.

I also want to apologize if I came off as offensive or mean, because I wasn't trying to but I'm not sure if I sound that way or not.
;o; *** pew! pew!
anon

Post by anon »

The timeline theory didn't really say anything about time restoring itself. Ocarina of Time created a timeline split/alternate timeline. I don't think "time" can restore itself because it creates many continuities.

Yeah, Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I guess I misunderstood Zelda at the end of the game then. She did say he would return to his time. I'll just have to replay it.
;o; *** pew! pew!
anon

Post by anon »

The only game that explicitly calls Link the "Hero of Time" is Ocarina of Time, as time is a huge theme in the game. The other games don't deal with time travel as much.
Cherri wrote:I guess I misunderstood Zelda at the end of the game then. She did say he would return to his time. I'll just have to replay it.
LOLOLOL no, you were right. That is what she said. But here's the thing: after she sends him back to his childhood, the timeline splits off.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Here Link changes time by getting Ganondorf arrested and exiled instead of pulling the Master Sword (as said by Nintendo), therefore changing the fate of Hyrule so that Ganondorf doesn't get the Triforce based on his experiences in the adult timeline. The thing is Ganondorf can't pull the Master Sword so he can't get the Triforce because of that. Zelda's biggest mistake in the whole ordeal was being too hasty in saving Hyrule that she ended up doing more damage to it instead by pressuring Link to get all the Spiritual Stones and open the Gate of Time.
The continuity where Ganondorf hasn't gotten the Triforce is the child timeline. After Link
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
seals the Gate of Time without touching anything
, the game goes off into Majora's Mask, and then later Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess explains everything that happened to Ganondorf in the aftermath of him getting arrested,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
though him somehow getting the Triforce of Power was a huge ass pull, NGL.
The continuity where Ganondorf has gotten the Triforce and ravaged Hyrule is the adult timeline. The consequences of his actions led him to be trapped in subspace by the Sages. Wind Waker's intro states that after Zelda sent the Hero of Time back into his own timeline, there was no one to save them when Ganondorf broke loose again. (So this example shows that Wind Waker takes place after Ocarina of Time in the adult timeline.)

The continuity where Ganondorf has gotten the Triforce and defeated Link in the adult timeline is the third split... I don't know if this is canon or something the fans made up.

And regarding the reincarnation thing:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
all Links and Zeldas are implied to be their descendants, as stated by Ganondorf and Demise when they're like BLAH BLAH BLAH WE'LL HAUNT YOUR KIDS. So I guess they're not really reincarnations but their future kids?
IDK if you already know this so in case you already do, congratulations! You don't need to read this tl;dr post. :D
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I kind of wish I could get a Zelda game that was all cameos of my favorite characters. XD; I'd love to play one that has Darunia, Makar, Midna, and I even miss that Weird Shop Guy in the Dark World. (And a bunch others)
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I just like to call Link the Hero of Time. It's personal preference. ^-^

That would be so cool! Makar was cute with his little violin. I miss Nabooru too, I like her. Also has anyone noticed there aren't very many zora women? Or did I just miss like all of them? Not counting Ruto or what was her name in Majora's Mask, not that I ever got that far but I know there is at least one female zora in that game.
;o; *** pew! pew!