Dream Big

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Mikari

Re: Dream Big

Post by Mikari »

I actually haven't finished hunter x hunter, I watched episodes here and there and I'm definitely amused. One day I'll watched all of them in the right order. But yeah, I really like it so I'll still call myself a fan.

Pretty much all my shrines are archives now... I only have 4 so not that many anyway. I'm not sure if I want to make more, I kind of want to finish my fic ideas and that massive pixel collection I've been working on... and instead here I am posting on forums, lol. ^^;;
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

Aku wrote:Moreso than the actual subjects though, I'm really interested in reinterpreting the idea of a shrine. I want to experiment and see how collaboration, or artwork, or less traditional approaches can create a different kind of shrine. I've said this a lot of times here at Amassment, but I find shrine-making to be really masturbatory and wonder how it can keep that "personal" quality we all know and love while still being open to a community/change, rather than becoming "finished & stagnant", or non-evolving. I think recently I've kinda fallen out of love with shrining, and I realize it's because I'm kinda tired of making something that while fun and personal, is really wall-of-text-y and totally not going in any direction which the rest of the internet is moving.

Mind you, I have no real ideas about any of this, I'm just theorizing... but I wish I had the time to experiment with it. XD
This sounds super interesting! I have to say, I've thought about how to approach shrining differently from how it is done mostly nowadays, but unfortunately I don't have that many creative juices so I haven't really been able to think of anything yet. I've always been intrigued & interested by the idea of collaborating on a shrine, so I hope you and your friend get some time soon to at least work out some ideas!

@Mikari: Aw, haha, I don't think there's anything wrong with calling yourself a fan, even if you haven't watched/read everything there is available :>
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Elysa wrote: @Mikari: Aw, haha, I don't think there's anything wrong with calling yourself a fan, even if you haven't watched/read everything there is available :>
I like to call those people "Casual Fans" ;) (As I am one lol!)
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Casual fans make up a huge chunk of the market for most popular media industries, so there's definitely nothing wrong with being a casual fan!

I kind of like the masturbatory element to site making. Putting a site online, for me, feels like presenting an extended written piece in front of a high school-sized class. It's only a small group of people who are going to sit there are listen, but you reach them in a way that isn't restricted by the inherent brevity of social media. I love sitting on Tumblr and posting crap I like, but sometimes I just need a distinct space in which to organise my thoughts on a particular topic. If I have something punchy to say, I like to put it in a sphere where it is accessible (Tumblr/Twitter for example). When I can't edit down my feels enough, it's website time.

I'd like to think there was a way to reconcile the two (outside of "hey look, reblog"), but I've yet to find a service/community I feel I could integrate my sites with. Maybe down the track.
Aku

Post by Aku »

Elysa wrote:This sounds super interesting! I have to say, I've thought about how to approach shrining differently from how it is done mostly nowadays, but unfortunately I don't have that many creative juices so I haven't really been able to think of anything yet. I've always been intrigued & interested by the idea of collaborating on a shrine, so I hope you and your friend get some time soon to at least work out some ideas!
Same here! I have a few ideas I'm interested in trying, but I think it's really just a matter of time. When I work on shrines I really like to be able to sit for hours and focus on them--lately I haven't had the chance to do that. :sob: I'd love to see some kind of event here at Amassment though where we could all try and attack this head on! It'd be fun to see what people come up with when they're motivated to. I'm not saying that the way shrines are built nowadays are wrong or that change is right for everyone,--obviously the fact that we can build a community around it means that something is inherently working. But for me personally, I like to try new things to keep it interesting for me from both a content & design perspective, so it's something I think about a lot. XD;
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Destinie wrote:
Elysa wrote: @Mikari: Aw, haha, I don't think there's anything wrong with calling yourself a fan, even if you haven't watched/read everything there is available :>
I like to call those people "Casual Fans" ;) (As I am one lol!)
I'm a casual fan then ^^ I like Killua, Kurapika and red!Hisoka.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Shiori wrote:I kind of like the masturbatory element to site making. Putting a site online, for me, feels like presenting an extended written piece in front of a high school-sized class. It's only a small group of people who are going to sit there are listen, but you reach them in a way that isn't restricted by the inherent brevity of social media. I love sitting on Tumblr and posting crap I like, but sometimes I just need a distinct space in which to organise my thoughts on a particular topic. If I have something punchy to say, I like to put it in a sphere where it is accessible (Tumblr/Twitter for example). When I can't edit down my feels enough, it's website time.
I actually really like that too. I know it sounds selfish, but I make my sites first for me, and second for everyone else. That's why when I open a shrine, it's mostly tl;dr walls of text. Then I go back and start adding fan sections, galleries, etc. I like to eventually include more people in on my shrines, like how my Tidus site has donations from Mikari all over the place, Jo's sprite she made me on the index, and fan art from friends, but that comes after the site is opened. The first stage is just me releasing creative energy and venting about something I love.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I think shrines are pretty personal. I mean, it IS something you are making to show your affection and there are so many personal aspects to it. It's not really a general site because it's more about "I love this character and here's why" and I too get some joy out of accomplishing that. ;)

I was also thinking of some other shrines I forgot to add to my list!

I'd really like to do another Animanga site to Saint Tail. She's my favorite. She really got me into manga and magical girls and I re-read it recently and watched the entire anime and just AWWW I love iiitt. So CUTE and wonderful.

I do a lot of video game shrines but back in the day I had a bunch of Digimon shrines, so it was more anime-centric. I think I just have more of a taste for Video games but srsly, Saint Tail needs some love.

I was also inspired by Sarah's Orca shrine, so I wanted to do one for Cheetahs.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I feel more personal about fanfics because it's in a sens what I wish would happen. Some sites I made are in a style to favor (what I think) visitors may like more so than my own style. I guess that's why they're not the most important part of my collective to me, but I do still enjoy them.

I want to do a shrine to plot bunnies... not fandom-specific, but just plot bunnies in general... odd topic, no?
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

NO THAT IS ACTUALLY AN EXCELLENT IDEA MIKARI