Using External Resources

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Laura

Using External Resources

Post by Laura »

For a really long time, I had a huge issue with using resources created by other people. Things like brushes, textures (specifically those pre-made 100x100 icon textures) and other graphic resources were all things that I felt I shouldn't use unless I made them myself. Part of this reasoning was because I was trying to (and eventually did) get into graphic design/art as a profession and I felt that if I couldn't show that I could make all these things, it'd be a poor reflection of myself as a designer and an artist.

However, over the last several years, I've had a complete change of heart. I started feeling really overwhelmed when I would try to do any graphic design where I'd have to create all of my own resources. After working in the industry for several years, I realised that efficiency is gold and using pre-made resources (either paid for or free for us) is no big deal. The real creativity is in how you implement the use of these resources.

I suppose you could say that the older, younger me was far too prideful for my own good. :swt2:

How do all of you feel about this topic? Do you use pre-made resources or do you try to make your own?
Chibi

Re: Using External Resources

Post by Chibi »

I don't feel bad using pre-made resources. I think, if other people are sharing them, then they must be happy to and so I feel okay using them. :D

On the other hand, however, I hate using other people's pre-made layouts, even just templates. I have to code my own layouts and my own CSS. I really dislike using CSS made by other people. I like the way I code and I feel really uncomfortable using other people's coding... I had no problem using pre-made layouts when I was just starting out, but now I know HTML and CSS and know that I can achieve a certain style myself, without using templates or pre-made layouts.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

I have always loved using per-made resources because they're really helpful. I'd like to make my own someday but I lack the means to do so right now. :swt:

Actually, it was through using pre-made layouts that I learned how to code and design in the first place!! I liked to take different ideas from different resources, and that's helped me to formulate my own style today.

So long as credit is given where it's due, I am 100% behind pre-made goodies. I don't use the pre-made layouts now obviously, because like Chibi I have my own coding style that I'm comfortable with, but I still take full advantage of free textures and patterns.
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Dude! As far as I'm concerned there's no need to reinvent the wheel. So yay on using things that other people are offering for me to use. If there was a problem with that they wouldn't be offering such resources, no?
Eimii
Time Traveler

Post by Eimii »

i always use them. infact, sometimes seeing a certain texture gives me an idea for a layout. sometimes i pick the texture before the image. lol. I've never been good at making textures or brushes, but i do make backgrounds on occasion. I'd probably be SOL if resource sites didnt exist. @_@
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

I still feel weirdly guilty using textures and stuff for some reason, like, I dunno, most of my layout was made by someone else? Which is dumb, because textures are meant to be used like that, and I always feel like I put my own twist on them; it's not like I or anyone else here just slaps some text on a texture and calls it their layout lol.
wolfrun wrote:The real creativity is in how you implement the use of these resources.
Exactly!
seek you the sun-cryst, slumb'ring star. in tower on distant shore it dreams.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I use pre-made resources. My shrines are now built on Bootstrap. Hell the new design for Nyx's Lounge is a template based on Bootstrap I bought on ThemeForest. Why? Because I work a whole goddamn lot and I don't have time to study responsive design to write my own stylesheets and build my own designs from scratch for such extensive sites anymore. But assembling elements from a template in my own way and adding things to make it mine, that I can definitely do. These sites are made by people who want you to use them, so why not? And since it's based on Bootstrap it's easy for me to understand and poke the code to add things in and rip things out.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I don't really use premade resources personally. I feel it takes away from the fun, since its no longer completely mine. For job stuff it's another story, I'll use every resource I can get my hands on to get things done as quickly as possible. I'm not picky with that, but I'm very picky with my personal stuff.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I never use pre-made resources but I do use brushes/textures other people make. I think people make them for a reason so it's nice to be able to appreciate someone else's work.