Miscellaneous shrines and sites

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Eden

Miscellaneous shrines and sites

Post by Eden »

I mostly see character-based shrines around the community and I suppose it's easier to do them than say, a series shrine or even a relationship shrine. I was quite happy to see a dedication to a song which was much different than anything I've encountered before (It's amazing Crystal!) There are many subjects that could be shrined, but is it too intimidating to try something new? Are we too comfortable in our zone of shrining only a specific subject than go outside the comfort?
1. Where would you say your "comfort zone" lies when it comes to making shrines? ie anime/manga, tv/movie, comics, actors/actresses, literature, etc.

2. Have you considered shrining something other than a character? ie relationship, music, series, etc? Is it too daunting/intimidating/effort?

3. Have you made a website that is not a shrine, but is a dedication to something you care about? ie clique, educational site, etc
There are subjects I'd like to see out there in shrines. For example, I'm considering making shrines to a few songs and incorporate music theory into it since I read and analyze music better than a piece of literature or characters. I'd like to see more music-based shrines. I'm not sure how people feel about those, but I'd like to see what I could bring to the world of shrines by dedicating a site to a special piece of music.

What about items/artifacts? Animals?

What about educational sites or cliques? I've considered the possibility of creating two sites I want to make that will hopefully spread a message about specific topics. They are topics I'm very passionate about and would like to educate people.

I think just about any subject can have a dedication to it whether it's a character "shrine" or an overall effort to a topic we care about. Sorry if this topic is weird and there are too many questions! OTL Feel free to answer 1 or none of them. xD Or just banter and discuss!
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Saya

Re: Miscellaneous shrines and sites

Post by Saya »

1. Where would you say your "comfort zone" lies when it comes to making shrines? ie anime/manga, tv/movie, comics, actors/actresses, literature, etc.

I don't think I actually have a comfort zone, but I would say that I'm better with doing series and characters then parings, because when I go on doing a couple shrine I panic. In the end it's not really about comfort zone for me, it's more about: will I be able to find enough information, or hell there is too much information - I need to find which is interesting and which not.

2. Have you considered shrining something other than a character? ie relationship, music, series, etc? Is it too daunting/intimidating/effort?

I have a shrine dedicated to a series, to a relationship and to a tv series. Maybe at first I got some panic for the relationship, but that's all, ones I fractured down how to divided information was easier done then it looked.

3. Have you made a website that is not a shrine, but is a dedication to something you care about? ie clique, educational site, etc

I do fanlistings u.u/
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Puppeteer

Post by Puppeteer »

Characters from anime/manga, hands down. I think because I started getting into shrines because of the ones I found dedicated to such a subject, so it's been burned into my mind, basically. In the past I've also had shrines for music groups, though I find making them less realistic for me now.

There is a relationship shrine I'd like to do in the future, but otherwise I haven't considered branching out of uh...people, I guess? I find shrining just one or two characters to be incredibly daunting, so the thought of having to discuss a series and all its mechanics is downright scary.

Not to my memory, but maybe in the future?
---

I think I mentioned in another discussion that I use shrining as an activity to discover and express why I like something (someone is probably more accurate). Maybe because of how my brain is wired, if I can't come up with a reasoned analysis to back up why I like a subject or an aspect of a subject, it's kind of game over for me. I wish with all my heart I could find a way out of that, because it's actually a little suffocating this way.

That being said, I would be very interested to see shrines and sites to less traditional subjects (especially music, since it's something I love but can't really say much about). It'd help expand my thinking for sure, and I'm always curious about how people communicate ideas.
[People have a weakness for forbidden things.]
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Video games and anime/manga, definitely. All but one of my sites were video game/animanga shrines. So I'd definitely call it a comfort zone.

I've considered relationships and series in the pasts, but never quite figured out how to approach it and gave up. While I've never thought about music/song sites I'd probably have the same issue (plus, I'm not sure just how much I could write about a song). I've also considered some comic characters but tbh, they just have too much canon and I feel like if I haven't read everything I have no business talking about it.

Nah
a spoony bard
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

I generally only make anime/manga sites, but I wouldn't mind making one for comic/tv/book characters as well. It's primarily been about time for me -- I don't have a huge amount of it to invest in sites anymore so while I'd love to talk about my favourite tv and comic book characters, the prospect of going back over some of their meta universes kind of blows my mind.

I have and I have made some before. I used to own a couple of general series sites and one focused on the music from a particular series, however, after I graduated high school I no longer had the time to give them the attention they needed so yeah, they went. Are you seeing the pattern with time here? :cry:

I have made cliques and webrings before, but never a stand-alone site for educational or similar purposes. I have contributed articles to not-for-profit organizations and stuff like that, but I've never felt the desire to break off and do my own cause-related site project. I do still enjoy looking at different sorts of sites though, even if I don't feel the need to make a similar one myself.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I would say game characters but that's not even completely true. I guess the thing is that I play a lot of games, so I have a lot of game characters I like, while for example I don't watch live action tv series so I don't have favorites on that side...?

I have a relationship shrine, used to have a general fansite for Pokémon (it was in Italian though), and at one point I've had minisites for an animal and a flash game actually! I regret closing those small sites. Some time ago I used to think that they just "weren't enough", but now I do tend to find small fansites more digestible and still more than worth my time, so I wouldn't have a problem making small sites to "alternative" subjects, so to speak.

There is the site I mentioned in the other topic, Isaac Clarke Hugging Stuff. I guess it is a dedication in its own silly way.
Aku

Post by Aku »

1. Where would you say your "comfort zone" lies when it comes to making shrines?
I wouldn't call it a comfort zone--my two biggest hobbies happen to be animanga/gaming, so I think that's just kinda where my interests lie. I would say though, that it is much much easier for me to be a bit comedic with my writing (no thanks to my good-for-nothing personality), so to approach areas of a shrine which are more serious, or in Ranka's case, to approach a shrine very seriously, is a lot harder for me. I like being able to joke around and not take shrining too seriously, I think. :swt:

2. Have you considered shrining something other than a character?
Music is a really interesting idea--actually, I've tossed around the idea of narrating my Ranka shrine through her music. It's still a character shrine, but I thought it might be interesting to focus it on her via the songs she sings in the series. I've also got a relationship shrine in mind, it's just that I really haven't had the time to sit and start on it. :sob: It'd be kinda interesting to shrine something totally out there though... like a shrine to the kamehameha or to the zero system? Duuuuuude.

3. Have you made a website that is not a shrine, but is a dedication to something you care about?
I had a collection of photos of the Phoenix Wright keychain doing stuff way back in the day LOL. Now that I think about it, had Tumblr existed back then that site would've probably really taken off. XD I think other than that, most of my involvement has been in TCGs. I had a Johnny's Ent. focused one for years, and it was a real investment... but at the time, that was really my way of showing my love for the subject. I admit, I love running TCGs as much as I love shrining, I've started up a couple attempts here and there, and wouldn't be surprised if I returned to it one day. XD; I wouldn't consider them anything like a shrine though.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I think you can make shrines for whatever you like, not just characters. I have a shrine (that's still sitting @nightbringer.net) that's dedicated to a piece of mesopotamian artwork. Crystal also has a shrine dedicated to a song and of course there are fansites for various other things. I think you can make a site for anything. I think a limitation in doing this, however, is finding out if people are willing to visit it or not. For me, I do it just because I want to, just because I have fun doing it. But if it was something I felt like no one would enjoy, I might not go through the trouble.
Eden

Post by Eden »

Destinie wrote:I think you can make shrines for whatever you like, not just characters. I have a shrine (that's still sitting @nightbringer.net) that's dedicated to a piece of mesopotamian artwork. Crystal also has a shrine dedicated to a song and of course there are fansites for various other things. I think you can make a site for anything. I think a limitation in doing this, however, is finding out if people are willing to visit it or not. For me, I do it just because I want to, just because I have fun doing it. But if it was something I felt like no one would enjoy, I might not go through the trouble.
Well the point I was trying to make was that you CAN make anything other than characters. I wanted to hear people's answers to my questions. :swt: Are people too comfortable in a particular area and are afraid to branch out into other areas of shrining? I did mention Crystal's song fan site to make a point that it's a different and unique subject to shrine.

I think as long as I enjoyed it, I'd still go through with the effort. I'm not making fan sites to please people or make people visit them. I make them for me :) I think most people do this when they create a fan site.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Not gonna lie, seeing one of my shrines mentioned made me blush, lol.

Anyway! To answer your questions...

That's a tough question. If a subject means enough to me chances are I'll make a shrine to it. Although if there is already a lot of shrines out there for the subject (ie: Yuki Sohma from Fruits Basket) I'll probably drop the idea and move onto something else.

Well considering I already have that answers the first question. I also do have a relationship shrine in the works. I find it to be a lot of fun to create a shrine to something other than a character because it is a territory not many people venture into so there is no real "set" way to do it (of course, there isn't with any sort of shrine but I hope you get my point).

Oh, several! Some of my very first websites were large fansites; one being for Card Captor Sakura and the other for The Legend of Zelda series (with Fire Emblem and Golden Sun mixed in). I even once made a Sakura clique but that didn't last very long. I dunno if this counts but I also once had a World of Warcraft blog as well. xD
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.