Making a Site "Radio"

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Robin
Events Staffer

Making a Site "Radio"

Post by Robin »

I've been wanting to make a site "radio" for WMWorg for aaaaaages. Anybody here ever included music in a "radio" kind of setup for their site? Any pitfalls (besides scary copyright stuff) that I should be aware of?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Camy
Administrator

Re: Making a Site "Radio"

Post by Camy »

I think you mean a playlist.

The biggest pitfalls with these is the autoplay, which should have never been invented. Most likely, people won't use it since they're listening to their own music unless they like the songs on the playlist.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Please don't use autoplay. Please don't use any type of embedded player with hard-to-find controls. These are very distracting and disorienting for many people.

Do use things like opentape, which allows you to embed tracks on your own site, or 8tracks, which allows you to make a playlist on another site. Both are common.
tonight fate is the
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

It drives me nuts when I'm visiting a site and I suddenly hear music play. Because of the way I have my sound set up for voice speaking programs I end up getting blasted by it. So yeah, please don't do that lol.

I second the opentape. I use it for my Song of Storms and Ocarina of Time shrines and I really like it. :D
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Ohhh no, wasn't planning on autoplaying music. I haaaaaaaaaaaaate that with a passion! LOL!

I was merely thinking a separate subsite users could browse, or maybe a sidebar widget that users could activate if they wanted to.

I've looked at opentape; does it involve as much tinkering as it sounds like? I was about to go with it, and then I saw you have to actually install the software on your site....and then I kinda ran away, XD
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

<audio controls><source src="song.mp3" type="audio/mpeg"></audio>

Probably the most simple way to do it. XD Don't worry, it won't autoplay (unless you specifically set it to do it).
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Mikari wrote:<audio controls><source src="song.mp3" type="audio/mpeg"></audio>

Probably the most simple way to do it. XD Don't worry, it won't autoplay (unless you specifically set it to do it).
Coolness! Can you add multiple songs/a playlist using that type of code, or is it best for single songs? :D

(<humor> *in old crotchety voice* "I don't know squat 'bout this new-fangled HTML5 business. In myyyy dayyyy, we coded uphill both ways in the snow, and we were HAPPY!" </humor>)
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:I've looked at opentape; does it involve as much tinkering as it sounds like? I was about to go with it, and then I saw you have to actually install the software on your site....and then I kinda ran away, XD
It's actually really easy to use and install, and doesn't require much. I love it.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Awesome! I'll look into opentape, then! :D
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

If you need any help just ask. I haven't installed it in a while but I should be okay. xD