FTP clients

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Emma
Time Traveler

FTP clients

Post by Emma »

Anyone have any good recommendations for free - or pretty cheap - FTP clients? I've been using Cyberduck forever despite the fact that I don't actually like it. (I dislike having to drag from the Finder window, instead of having a way to browse local files in the client itself.) I also didn't like Filezilla (the prompt each time you edit a file on the server kills any workflow I have going), and the couple of others I've found (CrossFTP, CuteFTP) are both far too expensive.

I'm personally looking for Mac recs, but feel free to rec Windows/OS of your choice too, I'm sure it'll be helpful for someone! :music:
a spoony bard
Sarah
Time Traveler

Re: FTP clients

Post by Sarah »

I use Firefox as my main browser, so I have the free FTP client they offer, FireFTP. I like it, and have never had any problems with it.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I don't usually use Firefox, but I think I'll give it a try for that, it could be convenient. Thanks Sarah. :)
a spoony bard
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

+1 for FireFTP, it has never given me a single issue in all these years and it's one of the big reasons why I don't want to change browser
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

I use Filezilla out of habit, though right now it's annoying me a lot because it times out and I always have to reconnect. It's probably somewhere in my settings (I've looked and haven't been able to find it) -- I'll be working on something and it seems whenever I go to upload changes, I've timed out my connection and have to reconnect. If I could just stay connected to the server for longer periods of time I'd be much happier with it. (I should probably just google it already, haha. I've been lazy.)
tonight fate is the
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

I use WinSCP now after using Dreamweaver's FTP function for two years, but I got sick of making sites in it. They finally changed the interface up to be more friendly since I used to use it yearrrrs back after SmartFTP went "LOL pay".
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

Another FireFTP user here :)
I also tried Cyberduck when I got my Mac a while ago, but quickly returned to FireFTP.
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I remember why I don't use Firefox now, it slows down my ageing laptop something fierce. Also, FireFTP seems to be having issues opening up my text editor to edit files. So I think it's a no-go haha.

my ftp quest continues...
a spoony bard
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Did some serious Internet digging and discovered the following two "free with good reviews" FTP programs that haven't been mentioned yet:

Glubtech SecureFTP
OneButton FTP for Mac

I've never used either of these because I don't have a Mac, but maybe one of these will work? :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Oooh, thank you so much, Robin! I've not come across either of those in my searching either. :) I shall try them out asap!
a spoony bard