Cliques!

Work together with others to reach a common goal - or the shrine of your dreams!
Todd

Cliques!

Post by Todd »

You know something I miss from the website world? Cliques! Sure, there are a couple here and there now, but there used to be tons. What happened to them?

I propose we make some cliques! This isn't really an Amassment thing cause it has nothing to do with shrines, but I thought it might be fun in the joint projects board.
anon

Re: Cliques!

Post by anon »

Well, the reason why they aren't popular now is because lots of people lost interest in owning a website, which is a requirement for cliques.

Also, fanlistings might have something to do with it because they became popular since you didn't need a website to join.
Eden

Post by Eden »

Any cliques we make don't have to require a website. A clique I'm making in the near future doesn't require a website. :)
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Todd

Post by Todd »

I think fanlistings are a large part of why cliques have died off, but I still like them. :) If I made one, I'd try to find a way to not require a website, I think.
anon

Post by anon »

I suuuuper miss cliques because of those cute pixel buttons you could use to link back. I liked having a wall full of them! :D
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Can someone explain to me what cliques are? =x /curious

I think I stumbled upon someone's network that linked to a guardian deity site where many people have registered a deity for their site, and there was another site where you could add a star of your choice to the "sky" (i.e. the site) - are those cliques ?_?

Or are they the same as webrings?
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
anon

Post by anon »

Lethe wrote:Can someone explain to me what cliques are? =x /curious

I think I stumbled upon someone's network that linked to a guardian deity site where many people have registered a deity for their site, and there was another site where you could add a star of your choice to the "sky" (i.e. the site) - are those cliques ?_?

Or are they the same as webrings?
Yup. Basically, cliques are the retro fanlistings, except most of them did require a website to join. Cliques usually focus on a common hobby, interest, or message. For example, if there's a balloon clique, you can join it if you like balloons. Examples: Still a Moonie, Smoking Kills, Old School

Cliques also come in the form of character/pairing/item claims. Some of them give you options to choose from, and some of them let you choose any character/pairing/item you want so long as it fits the theme of the clique. (Some may have regulations on the limitations of your choice.) If there's a blank provided, that means whatever you claim fills in the blank! Usually these are in form of text codes. Examples: Stargazer (started out as a support/interest clique but has taken upon the character claiming element with the "choose your star" thing), Shape the Future

Webrings overlap with cliques because sometimes they promote "support" for personal preferences but can be different. The objective of a webring is to link websites of (usually) similar content together and to promote your site through viewing the entire listing/directory or by a random click. Think of a webring like a playlist: through the code provided, you can see the website listed before you, after you, or through randomization. Examples: Oh My Cuteness!, Got Usagi?

(OT, but webrings/button rotations seem just as rare as cliques today. Is there by any chance Amassment can encorporate these elements? :9)
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Oh I see, thanks a lot for taking your time to explain it to me and for the example links! :D So I guess now that fanlistings exist, the biggest difference between the two is that fanlisting codes are usually deposited in a collective, whereas clique buttons are often found in the sidebar or first page of one's domain, huh?

I think that webrings might be a nice addition to the current shrine directories. :D
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I love the idea of bringing cliques back. I miss them! Many years ago I ran two Harry Potter cliques, and I've often thought about bringing one of them back.
Lethe wrote:So I guess now that fanlistings exist, the biggest difference between the two is that fanlisting codes are usually deposited in a collective, whereas clique buttons are often found in the sidebar or first page of one's domain, huh?
That's usually how people do it, at least as far I've seen. :)
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I miss cliques, too! ;o; I was going to make one but I think the time and dedication it takes to maintain one made me change my mind.