Cliques!

Work together with others to reach a common goal - or the shrine of your dreams!
Chibi

Re: Cliques!

Post by Chibi »

I think cliques are awesome, because you can make one for literally anything! I do like building fanlistings, but sometimes it's just nice to put a site online without having restrictions/rules...

Anyway, I'm planning on opening a clique soon, I just have to decide which script to use for it! :D (I don't want my cliques to get mixed with my fanlistings...) Does anyone know any good scripts that would work with cliques? I was thinking of using BellaBuffs, but I'm open to suggestions! :)
Eden

Post by Eden »

Bellabuffs, phpfanlist, and vs.hive are good alternatives to use.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I miss the blogs that were not on live journal or such similar sites. They had pretty layouts with big headers and a sidebar full of basic information and a "toy box" with adoptables.

I also remember cliques without scripts where everything was added manually :O

Maybe I'll do a button rotation, simple yet fun. I still can't decide on a "theme" for it, but I'm thinking randomly rotating buttons, 88x31, a simple easy to use/add code. I just don't know if anyone actually joins button rotations anymore...
Eden

Post by Eden »

Mikari wrote:I miss the blogs that were not on live journal or such similar sites. They had pretty layouts with big headers and a sidebar full of basic information and a "toy box" with adoptables.

I also remember cliques without scripts where everything was added manually :O

Maybe I'll do a button rotation, simple yet fun. I still can't decide on a "theme" for it, but I'm thinking randomly rotating buttons, 88x31, a simple easy to use/add code. I just don't know if anyone actually joins button rotations anymore...
I don't join banner rotations because of the insecure javascript/iframes scripts they use. If it was php or something more secure, I would. (not that php is more secure, it's just slightly better than javascript which I detest anyway)
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I love JS not so fond of Php, I've joined a few places that have their own scripts and I've never had trouble so I don't mind. They usually also don't mind small modifications to their iframe codes as long as all the links are in place. I'm writing my own I frame/JS script so I'll keep an eye on everything. It's all still in the planning stage though.
anon

Post by anon »

Mikari wrote:I miss the blogs that were not on live journal or such similar sites. They had pretty layouts with big headers and a sidebar full of basic information and a "toy box" with adoptables.
There are still hella those sites around. :)
Eden wrote:I don't join banner rotations because of the insecure javascript/iframes scripts they use. If it was php or something more secure, I would. (not that php is more secure, it's just slightly better than javascript which I detest anyway)
I've never had a problem with them. The worst was that if the domain hosting the iframes expired, I'd just get redirected, and that can be solved by removing the script altogether.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I've been thinking, wouldn't the php be more unsafe. I mean with a log in script that means there are permissions set for files or info in the database to be modified via the log in right? More complex script more risks. But then with simple JS that is set to read only and can only be modified via FTP by updating the file, that's safer right?

I'm almost done with the rotation. Did the layout and most of the site. I just need to code the join form, go over everything with the spell checker and I'm ready to upload.
Aa-chan

Post by Aa-chan »

I'm thinking, in a grand opening to my Palom and Porom shrine, I'm going to do a "Palom versus Porom" clique. :O (I got the idea from a "Krusty Krab versus the Chum Bucket" clique I saw a loooonnnggg time ago, back in the early '00's). Would that count? ^^;
Eden

Post by Eden »

Mikari wrote:I've been thinking, wouldn't the php be more unsafe. I mean with a log in script that means there are permissions set for files or info in the database to be modified via the log in right? More complex script more risks. But then with simple JS that is set to read only and can only be modified via FTP by updating the file, that's safer right?

I'm almost done with the rotation. Did the layout and most of the site. I just need to code the join form, go over everything with the spell checker and I'm ready to upload.
PHP and Javascript are more or less unsafe, but PHP is server side whereas JS is not. I don't allow Javascript to run in any of my browsers and I use noscript because I find JS severely unsafe and I don't trust the majority of people who code with it. It is easily exploitable.

It's only really useful for things that are light weight (like doing a few things in navigation that CSS alone can't do) but for super complicated things, no. JS is too bloated and simply a mess. It's got different snippets of all sorts of languages meshed into it like a badly made salad that doesn't go together. The same goes for PHP (some moron who didn't know anything about programming created it and everyone hopped on board and started throwing things into it like C, Java, Ruby, etc), but using lightly coded PHP to run something as simple as a banner rotation is OK and better since it'd be server side and can't be messed with directly like JS can. Read only can be changed if you know how to do it. :')

In essence, I neither support any of these two "languages" (they are abysmal in my coder's standard) but for simple things, PHP is better suited for simplicity's sake. Who said PHP had to be complex? A few lines of php versus 30 lines of JS. I can think of more languages that are better, but for simplicity, PHP is preferred and the safer route to go--but PHP or JS is only as safe as your understanding of the code itself. With things being deprecated all the time and throwing even more ridiculous things into the language, it's a wonder it's survived this long. I'm hoping the switch to python will phase both of these out.

I can't tell you what you can or can't do, I'm just pointing out my observation and what I've learned as a programmer. Go ahead with your site, I'm not telling you not to do it. :swt2: :swt: I apologize if that's how I am coming off. I'm not a good explainer and I'm not very good with people. orz
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Aa-chan wrote:I'm thinking, in a grand opening to my Palom and Porom shrine, I'm going to do a "Palom versus Porom" clique. :O
That sounds fun! I'll join if you make it... although I have no idea whose side I would be on. :o
Eden wrote: I apologize if that's how I am coming off. I'm not a good explainer and I'm not very good with people. orz
You don't need to apologize, different opinions/observations/experiences is what makes the world interesting! (Okay that was cheesy but true... Hmm... maybe I shouldn't post here at 2am...) And yeah... it has been made. The JS is extremely simple, all it does is grab a random button to display from the list.